Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Things to watch for: Gameday Edition

By: Tyler Adkins

UK has won four in a row and is looking to match the longest win streak of the season so far at five games. UK struggled last game and it seemed like Calipari has had enough with the team's lackadaisical effort this season. It will be interesting to see how the Cats come out for this game effort-wise after being called out by their head coach for not playing hard. With that, let's get to the things to watch for:

*Gameday factor

To me, this is a big-time factor in this game and will test the maturity of the young Cats. This is the second time that the brightest lights have been on them with the first being Michigan State in the second game of the season. There seems to be a different atmosphere around the made for tv match-ups and when College Gameday rolls into town, the game takes on a whole different meaning. All day the players will watch themselves be analyzed, hyped and dissected on tv and Lexington will be buzzing all day as there is currently roughly 15,000 people at Rupp Arena for a tv show. Florida will be watching the same show, but most of their players have been through this before, and this is new to most of UK's players. Florida is also 4-0 against UK on College Gameday, so there is that. I will be watching for the nerves, or the gumption to rise to the occasion, that UK shows tonight.

*Matching Patric Young

I am not looking for someone to match him number-wise, but I am looking for someone to match his intensity. It is rare that the center is the emotional leader for a team, but that is the case with Young. He reminds me of how Tyler Hansbrough led UNC a few years ago and he will dive, scratch and claw for every loose ball and every rebound. One play in particular for UF against Tennessee when he scored late in the game and ran over to slap hands with every player on the bench truly showed his passion. UK has to find that guy. I think Poythress, someone I would not have said last year, could be that guy with Dakari as a dark horse. But I am watching for someone to step up in that role.

*Shot-making

Florida is one of the best defensive teams in the country this year. They switch defenses regularly to confuse the offense and I suspect they will switch even more than normal against UK. UK has to diagnose the defense early and find ways to get easy buckets whenever they can. UK has to be able to make shots tonight in close, mid-range, and from three. Usually defense is the focus of the things to watch for but UK's has been much improved lately. However, against a team like Florida, you have to be able to make shots against their active defense to have a chance. I am looking for UK to score 70 points tonight.

That is all for today. As always, Go Big Blue.

Let me know your things to watch for in the comments.
    Comments 1 Comment
      kingcat -
      Good stuff Tyler. I think both teams will shoot well and I expect the Gators to want to make it a grind it out affair. They're able to play both ways but I doubt they will choose to run in Rupp against a young team of super talented kids.

They'll make us think about the game and it's significance as much as possible.
  • KSR Twitter Feed