Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Things to watch for: Auburn Edition

By: Tyler Adkins

Coming off of a lackluster performance against Mississippi State, the Cats are back in action against the lowly Auburn Tigers tomorrow night. This will be the final road game of a stretch that has seen UK play 4 out of 5 games on the road and they are looking to go 3-1 in those road games. Auburn should not be too difficult of a place to win but make no mistake, road games always make the home team at least 5 points better than they are typically. With that said, let's get to the things to watch for:

*Maturity from Julius

Calipari stated something that most witnessed during the MSU game which was Julius not helping double-team on the post and then when he did refused to hustle back to his man when the ball was passed. For the most part this team has seemed to be playing harder but Julius seems to be stuck in neutral for whatever reason. He is the most physically talented player on the court and should be able to dominate games when he plays hard. I have a feeling the message Calipari has been trying to send through the media will be received and we will see the dominant Julius return. I am looking for 20 points and 10 rebounds from Julius.

*Transition defense

There is no way around the fact that UK's transition defense has been terrible. However, the good news is that it can improve dramatically when the players simply buy in to the fact that they cannot take plays off. The zone has helped the Cats get back because they cannot point to a man and expect someone else to pick him up when they want to jog back. I am looking for the team to sprint back tonight and hold Auburn to under 10 transition points tonight. If that occurs, Auburn will not be able to score in the half court against this team.

*Keep Denson out of the lane

As bad as Auburan has been, they have two really good players, Chris Denson and KT Harrell. I am more focused on Denson because he is a 6-2 guard that averages 20 points per game while only shooting 27% from three. His strength is penetrating and he gets to the free throw line nearly 10 times per game. UK has struggled stopping penetration from guards and if Denson has his way, we could see a lot of free throws and some foul trouble for UK's guards who try to stop him. The key will be to limit his driving lanes and force him to be a jump shooter. I want to see Denson go to the line six times or less tonight and be forced into at least four three's.

That is all for today, as always, Go Big Blue.

Let me know in the comment section what you are watching for tomorrow night.
    Comments 21 Comments
      MickintheHam -
      Tyler I believe the outside shooting for UK needs to be on, early. I look for Dixon-Tatum to have a big game. He has the ability to swat them away inside. He's tall and skinny. I believe he may out battle Cauley-Stein. Dakari needs to be ready and out muscle the opponent.
      jazyd -
      Mick they can't do like they did against MSU, start strong and then just let up. The first 4 or 5 min they shut MSU out, then just quit

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      Tyler I believe the outside shooting for UK needs to be on, early. I look for Dixon-Tatum to have a big game. He has the ability to swat them away inside. He's tall and skinny. I believe he may out battle Cauley-Stein. Dakari needs to be ready and out muscle the opponent.
      kingcat -
      Cats by 15 to 20.
      catmanjack -
      Just do not feel this team will beat anyone on the road by 20 Pts.
      UKRxman93 -
      Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
      Just do not feel this team will beat anyone on the road by 20 Pts.
      I don't think so either gonna have to prove it.
      cattails -
      Only team that can beat UK at Auburn is UK, we come to play, no contest, margin of victory? I have no idea but I agree with Rxman and catman.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by cattails View Post
      Only team that can beat UK at Auburn is UK, we come to play, no contest, margin of victory? I have no idea but I agree with Rxman and catman.
      Auburn has a much better team than some of you believe. It will be a very close game. Barbee is stoked about playing our team.
      kingcat -
      No knock on Auburn intended. I just think Coach has challenged some young men who have the ability to answer in a big way.

A games for Randle, WCS, and Young I predict
      MickintheHam -
      One other thing to watch for:

ICE!!

I don't believe there is any danger of the game being postponed, but local sports commentators love to speculate about it.
      Darrell KSR -
      Attachment 3207

via mobile app
      cattails -
      Auburn has a much better team than some of you believe. It will be a very close game. Barbee is stoked about playing our team.
      Mick I believe what I said pertains to any team we have left to play other than the NCAA and Florida, we just have to bring the effort more than anything, the talent is there.
      cattails -
      One other thing to watch for:

ICE!!

I don't believe there is any danger of the game being postponed, but local sports commentators love to speculate about it.
      Winter from hell!!
      MickintheHam -
      Winter from hell!!
      Auburn has just been added to the winter weather advisory. Ice storm is still in the forecast just a few miles away in JoJa. We still plan to be there tonight, but it will be oh, so much fun getting home! Sheesh!
      MickintheHam -
      Mick I believe what I said pertains to any team we have left to play other than the NCAA and Florida, we just have to bring the effort more than anything, the talent is there.
      It still takes more than just effort and talent. Our last game in Rupp, we had some of the very best passing I have seen at UK in a long time. Passes were quick and crisp. They went through the post and we found the open man. If that's what you mean by "effort" that is what we need to win. When this team passes the ball effectively we are at our very best.
      cattails -
      Auburn has just been added to the winter weather advisory. Ice storm is still in the forecast just a few miles away in JoJa. We still plan to be there tonight, but it will be oh, so much fun getting home! Sheesh!
      I'll give you one HLT (hot little tip), drive careful no matter what the roads looks like, black ice is bad!!
      Darrell KSR -
      Attachment 3209

via mobile app
      cattails -
      It still takes more than just effort and talent. Our last game in Rupp, we had some of the very best passing I have seen at UK in a long time. Passes were quick and crisp. They went through the post and we found the open man. If that's what you mean by "effort" that is what we need to win. When this team passes the ball effectively we are at our very best.
      Effort is running hard, rebounding hard and getting those 50/50 balls. Talent is as much mental as physical, the things you mentioned, passing etc are more mental than physical. Randle seems to understand he can't bulldog down 2 or 3 defenders, he is passing sooner and better, also picking his shots better and I like him driving from the elbow and pitching when the defense comes or going one on one to the basket. Lots of improvements but still a ways to go, season/time is running out, time for these boys to either get it or get ready to go home. I could be wrong but I think Cal has this team right where he wants them, by this weekend I think we will have that answer.
      Philly Cat -
      Agree with Mick on passing-- when they treat the ball like it's a Hot Potato, the offense flows. When the guards spend 3 seconds contemplating the meaning of life and whether they can make an entry pass to the post, the play is as good as over.
      Rock Hard Ten -
      Does anyone know exactly when our team arrived?
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rock Hard Ten View Post
      Does anyone know exactly when our team arrived?
      Late afternoon/early evening yesterday.
  • KSR Twitter Feed