Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Signing day feature with LB Dorian Hendrix

He was the first commitment in Kentucky’s 2014 signing class and along with quarterback Drew Barker played a key role in helping shape UK’s top 20 class. That’s why Ohio linebacker Dorian Hendrix was so excited when national signing day ended and UK had all 28 players ready to be part of next year’s team.

“It is a bright future here with coach (Mark) Stoops and his staff,” said Hendrix, who had 126 tackles with three quarterback sacks and two blocked kicks at Wayne High School last season. “There are a lot of special things here. Strength and conditioning coach, fan base. The direction the program is going is amazing. Now that I am here I have been shown that even more.”

Hendrix is ranked as the nation’s No. 26 inside linebacker by Rivals.com. He ran the relays in track, but also tossed the shot put.

Hendrix, an honor roll student who was junior class president, said his body has changed dramatically in the four weeks he’s been at UK because of his diet, workouts and weight room work.

“It’s exciting and special and showing it can really make a difference,” Hendrix said.

Hendrix credited the work UK recruiting coordinator Vince Marrow did in Ohio for putting a stamp on this recruiting class.

“Coach Marrow is a different type guy. He came to my school and wanted me to visit and see the place and I came down with my mom,” Hendrix said. “Because he’s an Ohio guy, he knows what type talent there is. He was honest from the beginning even before I got here. The staff has kept their promises and is doing everything they said, and that’s important to me. His presence in Ohio is felt, and he is a character.

“I committed really here. He had visited. My dad, mom and brother were there (on his home visit). We hung out, got something to eat, joked around. My family knew him. It was pretty chilled.”

Hendrix never thought of not honoring his commitment.

“Some talked about how a bad season might have some de-commits. I knew from the beginning this is where I would be,” Hendrix said.

He said he didn’t think the 2-10 record UK had last year would be a problem in recruiting because the recruits were told what to expect.

“They let us know it was going to be a process. They didn’t say they would go undefeated or make a bowl game. They were positive and said they would get better. I believed it, and it was true. I saw improvements from day one,” Hendrix said.

He says he would “like to think” he was a leader in the recruiting class along with Barker. He said he knew once he committed, he could help persuade running back Mikel Horton, receiver Thaddeus Snodgrass and defensive back Mike Edwards, all Ohio players, to join him.

He said there were “maybe” a couple of players who thought of de-committing.

“It was more like they were a little nervous about things. I just told them to stay with the process and they would be happy,” Hendrix said. “I can see where the coaching staff is going and where the program is going. A lot of guys were listening.”

He’s ready to start work now on 2015 recruiting, too.

“I have been more focused on this class, but after today I will focus on 2015 guys,” Hendrix said on signing day.

“There is a guy at my school, Tyree Kinnel, who is committed to Michigan and I am going to get after him. There are a couple of other guys I am pretty sure I will be after and try to get them down here.”

Stoops is just glad to have Hendrix to bolster UK’s linebackers. Hendrix said UK told him from day one “they are thin” at linebacker. He’s talked to Avery Williamson, UK’s leading tackler the last two seasons, about the UK defense.

“He is helping all he can and teaching me all he knows,” Hendrix said. “I am trying to learn the playbook and get out there (on the field) as soon as possible. I know I am young, but if I take it one day at a time everything will work out.”

Hendrix has also been impressed with UK’s returning players.

“They want to win. They are hungry for success,” Hendrix said. “There’s no type of animosity toward the new guys at all. They are accepting and excited. They help us as much as possible. It’s really important they are hungry for success as much as we are.”

He thought there might be some jokes from returning players toward the January enrollees, but found none of that.

“They have treated me like I have been here for a while,” Hendrix said. “I have been showing them my work ethic and they respect that. I just have to keep working.

“I think it will be an adjustment as far as speed (for the new players). This conference is probably the best conference in the nation. Speed will be the biggest things. Strength and conditioning and the playbook will come. If we get the speed down, everything will be all right.”
    Comments 5 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Great story, Larry.

I'm putting a select video with each recruit story so that people can view some highlights, too.

Like Christmas Day!
      dan_bgblue -
      I really like what I read. Thanks for bringing that info to us Larry V.

I am completely convinced, and those that know me understand that for me to be completely convinced takes a lot of doing, that the current staff is doing things the right way, are working their tails off to secure the needed players, and will accept nothing but success for the program.

I am really looking forward to the coming season. I doubt it will be a great one, but it will be great fun to watch the team grow from game to game
      jazyd -
      Sounds like the type kid Cal normally recruits
      LarryVaught1 -
      Coaches privately will tell you he had as much to do with keeping class together as Barker
      truecatsfan -
      Mark it down you will remember this kid.
  • KSR Twitter Feed