Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Coach says Tubman quick, agile but can add another 30 pounds

Kentucky pulled off a signing day bonanza Wednesday when Seneca defensive lineman Lloyd Tubman picked the Wildcats over Penn State — where he had committed — along with hometown Louisville and Nebraska.

The 6-5, 240-pound lineman first committed to Vanderbilt and then switched to Penn State when coach James Franklin changed jobs. However, he visited UK Jan. 17 before he took his official visit to Penn State a week later and then canceled a trip to Nebraska.

Originally it looked like last week’s commitment by John Harden defensive tackle Matt Elam was the 28th — and final — commitment for the Wildcats. However, junior college safety Michael Mathis did not sign with the Cats and instead hopes to join the Cats in August — and that opened a spot for Tubman.

He joins Conner quarterback Drew Barker, South Warren defensive lineman Adrian Middleton and Elam as in-state players in UK’s 2014 recruiting class. While Barker is the highest rated player nationally with Elam next, some college coaches have speculated that Tubman was the state’s best college prospect.

“He is very quick and agile can put an additional 30 pounds on his frame without losing speed. Great pass rusher who needs to get stronger but he is a physical specimen after weight work on his own,” said Grover Sales, a volunteer assistant coach at Seneca. “He can play in the SEC. He can be a NFL player with development.”

He has run the 40-yard dash in 4.5 seconds and could possibly even play linebacker at Kentucky.

His late commitment to UK follows last year when Stoops and offensive coordinator, UK’s primary in-state recruiter, were able to land Franklin County receiver Ryan Timmons and Trinity defensive lineman Jason Hatcher at the last minute when they turned down national powers to stay home and play.

Sales, an avid UK fan, thinks adding Tubman is just as big for Stoops and UK.

“James Franklin and (assistant) Herb Hand spent a lot of time on him. Franklin flew into Scott County to see him when Seneca played them. I took him to Vandy for his official visit.They really put on the dog for him,” Sales said.

Sales said Tubman’s personality off the field differs from his play on the field.

“He is very quiet and shy. He was raised by his mother,” Sale said. “He is respectful and a hard worker. I tried not to influence his decision.He knows that I graduated from UK but he made up his own mind I think he has fallen in love with UK like Elam did.”
    Comments 4 Comments
      Terry Blue -
      Sure you've figured it out but Grover was my source on Tubman, who I in turn connected with LV. He's quite a character and UK fan, started as a fooball manager and ended up as basketball manager while Rupp was still there. He drove Rupp around some and even drove him to Louisville Hospital when Mike Casey broke his leg. Seems Shelbyville didn't have an ambulance available back then so they took Mike to the hospital in a hearse. When Rupp saw the hearse he said, "By Gawd Grover, Casey's dead", Grover calmed him down and went in to see Case. When Rupp saw him he said Mike, you've cost me a National Championship, and it proved to be a true statement. Grover also told me the time that he took Rupp to an Alabama football game and they visited with the Bear at some point before the game. Grover was excused to eat lunch and the Baron joined Bear for some of their favorite Kentucky Bourbon
      Darrell KSR -
      Great stories, Terry. I love the hearse one.

And great feature, Larry.

What a great day!
      LarryVaught1 -
      Grover is a character indeed. But he's a great guy and has been a huge help to Tubman off the field
      Terry Blue -
      Didn't know till CJ article this morning that Lloyd and his Mom are from Liberia!
  • KSR Twitter Feed