Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• High Noon for Matt Elam and UK

On stage there was an Alabama cap, a John Hardin helmet, and a University of Kentucky football helmet. All of his senior class numbering eighteen, along with his mother, Mamie Reed, grandmother, brother, sister, Coach Chad Lewis, Matt and his family were present.

Matt Elam said the John Hardin helmet was there to balance out the table, but he said they didn't get their hands on a Alabama helmet, so they used an Alabama cap instead. When the time came to make the announcement, he picked up the UK helmet indicating his decision.

"I understand the impact this decision will have on the Kentucky program," Elam said. "You have to have good players to be good and I feel I will be able to help make us good." The young man isn't going into anything with blinders on. He said he knows they are going to struggle but they are going to get there. "Me and Drew (Barker) decided to stay at home and I told him my decision because he told me his," Elam explained.

Former Elizabethtown defensive lineman Brandon Deaderick who played at Alabama tried to recruit him to Alabama because of their program but Elam said that he feels that if you are good you are good alluding to getting the attention he deserves from the NFL. He said he couldn’t have pick Kentucky over Alabama before Stoops arrived. Alabama coaches came in today and asked him to make a smart decision.

The Matt Elam Influence on John Hardin High School

We asked the John Hardin principal, Lynne Gibson about the effect this recruiting experience has had on the school? She said - "Since the second or third year of the school we've always had a strong football team. Coach Mark Brown, Coach Chad Lewis and the rest of the coaches, they've put John Hardin on the map state-wide. Now with the Matt and all this John Hardin has bee put on the map nationwide. Sometime they will show me some the twitter feeds and this is way out west, up east and all over." She said she has never been through anything like that. "I've been with Matt for four years. I was assistant principle then. I met him in the assistant principles office. He was clowning around too much in the classroom and that's when we developed our relationship. There's never anything mean or malicious he just likes to have a good time. That's his personality. He Calls me his second momma and he has invited me to go along with him on some of his trips." She said it's been quite of an experience seeing all these people coming in here from the various universities. Gibson confirmed that she as well and Lewis, mother and son went on the official visit trip to Alabama University. She expressed her displeasure about some of the twitter feeds about that trip implying her horning in on the process.

Athletic director Austin jones said Matt's recruitment has brought a lot of positive energy to the school and athletics in general. "You meet a lot of great people from around the country," Jones said. "We've put his stamp on John Hardin and it allowed us to get some good exposure for our school." He said seeing people like Alabama coach Nick Saban has been a good experience. He said knowing they are coming makes you want to get up and go to work that day.

Mamie Reed Elam's Mother: "I was at times overwhelmed at the attention my son was receiving from major schools around the country." She said it was Saturday or Sunday when the final decision was made, She said they sat down and talked about it. Before that she didn't know. She said it was two years ago before all of this when he was involved with no one that she had a dream that her son was at UK. She said there were no faces or numbers on the uniform. "I just knew he was coming to UK. I was a psychic." Maybe she can pick the Super Bowl. She said he (Matt) is very passionate - they (UK) are very passionate and if they win one more game than they did last year that will be an improvement."

Senior quarterback Patrick Anderson: "I've been the starting quarterback for the last two years and it's been a joy playing with and being around Matt. He will do well wherever he goes because he's that good. "I played with Matt all four years the first two when I was a defensive back and we made some things happen." I personally said he is going to San Diego State because he has some family out there.
    Comments 2 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Thanks, Lonny. Really appreciate you getting those comments from others around Elam.
      dan_bgblue -
      Really nice job there Lonny. Like Darrell I appreciate getting to read the comments from people close to him but that are mostly unknown to the media
  • KSR Twitter Feed