Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Another First Leftover

It isn't often that at this point in the basketball season the projected conference winner is in this much doubt. In a life (my) threatening situation I would have to still pick the UK Wildcats. Being as the situation is now, it doesn't resemble what was expected at the beginning of the season.

Early on the Wildcats were expected to breeze through the conference with The Florida gators a close second. But given the loss at the Bud Walton Arena and some other unexpected developments throughout the SEC things have become a bit nebulous.

How quickly things change. Two weeks ago prior to last night's 22-point drubbing at the hands of the Florida Gators conjecture had Mark Fox being release after this season and Bruce Peal would return to coaching in the SEC. No one ever roots for any coach to be terminated but Pearl would give the SEC a charismatic shot in the arm. Two games before the Florida game Georgia had won at Missouri and at home over Alabama. Mark Fox gets new life?

Historically after a SEC team gets up to beat Kentucky they flop the next game or sometimes, two. It was a white-out night at Bud Walton and they stormed the court. It will be interesting to watch Arkansas' next game which is on the road at Georgia. If the 12-4 Razorbacks can pass the road test they could inject themselves in the race to stay. They are 1-2 on conference play. They don't have to go to Florida.

Texas A&M is 12-4 overall and 3-0 in the conference. They have a much bigger hurdle to overcome because they have to go to Florida and come to Kentucky. But suddenly they are a come a contender.

Florida has to go to A&M and to Kentucky. Though I wouldn't bet my mythical house-and-lot in Georgia, having won an overtime victory at Arkansas with two starters out of the lineup, I would say they have a nose out in front on the backstretch.

Cuonzo Martin brings his Volunteers to Lexington Saturday for a 'High Noon' affair. He has his team playing good fundamental basketball with emphasis on defense. But everybody knows how difficult it is to win in Rupp Arena. John Calipari's record in Rupp as the Kentucky head coach is 77-2.

Would we say the SEC is suddenly a tough conference? I don't know but to say it has suddenly become interesting because for the first time in five years and the winner isn't cut and dried, you could be accurate. For emphasis we will use that small window as a first timer (Cal's era). So buckle up your chinstrap and seat belt it could be a rough ride to March Madness.
    Comments 4 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      I don't think they're a tough conference, but it's a tough conference to play in. Not sure that distinction makes sense, but it does to me.
      suncat05 -
      No Darrell, your thought makes perfect sense, because it is right on point. The SEC has 3-4 really good teams, but from there the quality level drops off dramatically. And yes, it has been that way for a long time. Why? Who knows, but somewhere in that equation the strength of the football programs in the SEC perhaps starts to factor in, because football is king in the SEC. Nobody outside of Kentucky & Arkansas really cares about basketball in the SEC, but we've always known that too.
      JPScott -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      I don't think they're a tough conference, but it's a tough conference to play in. Not sure that distinction makes sense, but it does to me.
      Darrell,

I understand what you say and agree completely. Frankly the SEC has always been that way for UK. They will get up when they play the Wildcats once or twice a year, but will roll over the rest of the time. Usually they don't even care about basketball.
      blueboss -
      Not so sure Arkansas has the same tenacity away from BWA, they very well could go into GA and get waxed, we've got them again in Feb. at Rupp in a 7:00 game and while it's not a fair analogy as our guys are improving every game, but if we played Arkansas tomorrow at Rupp we'd win by double digits.

The TN game comes with the history of our longest rival, and we cannot afford to turn the AK loss into two losses. We better be on our toes come Saturday 14 first half TO's won't work against TN, even at Rupp.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post