Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Elam: comfortability is definitely a key Kentucky has over the rest

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Even though he’s made numerous unofficial visits to Kentucky, John Hardin defensive tackle Matt Elam said his official visit last weekend was an important part of his recruiting process before he decides Jan. 4 whether he’ll play for UK, Alabama or Notre Dame.

“My mom got to meet the head coaches and their whole staffs. That was pretty neat for my mom to experience and see what I see,” said Elamn. “What I really want is for her to see what I see and how I feel about UK. A lot of people are down on UK because their record isn’t that good, but I’m like, ‘It’s a rebuilding year. You can’t just change a program over a year.’

“Auburn wasn’t doing too hot, South Carolina. But look at them now. Look at Auburn in the national championship. I feel like there is going to be change and UK, and sometimes I just want to be a part of that. And I got to hang out with the players and the (2014) commits, so that was good for me.”

Elam admits there were times during the visit that included all the high school players committed to UK’s 2014 recruiting class that he thought about what it would be like to join the group at Kentucky.

“I was just contemplating on saying I could be a part of this, and I could get in early. It would be fun to play as a true freshman, and I feel like I can help my program, my in-state program.

They showed me how I could fit into their defense. They made a little highlight tape of me. They just showed me their scheme and how they played their defensive schemes and everything, how they train defensive linemen better than anybody. Coach Stoops and coach (D.J.) Eliot, how they put all those defensive linemen in the NFL. It speaks for itself to just see that they can do it and that it’s not impossible at UK. It’s not the program that does it; it’s the coaching staff.”

Elam took his mother and older sister on the official visit to Kentucky.

“Everything is paid for, so it was pretty cool,” Elam said. “We got there and they had this big dinner for us waiting. We got to stay in the Hilton in downtown Lexington. I got to talk to all the commits and everything. Everybody was committed but me, but it was not weird. He (coach Mark Stoops) was like, ‘Ain’t nobody going to pressure you or anything.’ That was nice nobody was on me to commit because they all know I am doing it Jan. 4. I had a blast.

“I’d say I’m definitely more comfortable at UK. I just know them well. I know the area well. I love Kentucky, and I love the coaching staff and the players. I’d say comfortability is definitely a key Kentucky has over the rest, just me being comfortable with the players, the coaches and the area.”
    Comments 7 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      Larry, everything he said is positive for UK. Man I hope he puts on the right helmet on the 4th.
      StuBleedsBlue2 -
      This is great. Hard to imagine any recruit that says so much about a school, not playing for them.

What does he say about the other schools?
      suncat05 -
      Landing Za'darius Smith and the kid from Louisville Trinity, Jason Hatcher was big. Landing Elam will be even bigger, IMO.
      Coach Stoops & Co. are going about this the right way. It's still going to be a few years before we see what we all want, but as long as he is our coach I am confident that he will get the job done, and done the right way.
      He is landing the kinds of players that we must have to compete in the SEC.
      Terry Blue -
      And he got to meet Terry Blue at the QB Club, LOL
      dan_bgblue -
      Well, we will know who to blame if the recruitment goes south
      suncat05 -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      Well, we will know who to blame if the recruitment goes south
      LOL! Wow, tough crowd here!
      Terry Blue -
      Ha, I like it, believe me, think between my two brief meetings with Matt we had good back and forths. He seemed to be kind of surprised I had the knowledge of fellow recruits that I do. When I asked him if he preferred playing in a 4-3 or 3-4 during the Q&A session from the back of the room he had that great smile on his face, like I know THAT guy. Also, let me tell you, when Matt walked in the room, Larry V and I were up front talking and he immediately looked at LV and gave him a big smile and walked right to him having built a relationship with him through LV contacting him over the months before.
  • KSR Twitter Feed