Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Stoops Getting a Early Start

By: LONNY DEMAREE

One of the most positive days in a football staff's life is football's national signing day for new recruits. Rarely does any coach say he has signed a poor class - as they see it at the time. Assistants are giddy about the culmination of all their hard work and tenacity on the recruiting trail. Coaches will tell you that recruiting is like shaving, you do it every day. So it's on to the next class and or classes.

Coach Stoops had a noon presser Wednesday to announce some early enrollee's of a couple of standout junior college stars. He was in an almost giddy mood. And in this case there was plenty of reason for that state of mind. There was a intense battle with Ohio State for one of the youngsters, cornerback A. J. Stamps. There's always relief after all the angst, anxiety, cajoling, and sleeplessness. He said the last 48 hours something turn. He said it feels good to beat Ohio State. "We were working all last night (Tuesday)," Stoops said. "This wasn't wrapped up until about an hour ago (prior to the press conference).

The other signee defensive lineman Cory "C. J." Johnson 6-foot-5, 300-pounds who was being courted heavily by University Miami, Florida was a key get for Stoops. The reason for all the giddiness was the value these guys add to Stoops' defense. When the NFL goes shopping for new talent each year the most valuable players are defensive linemen, shut-down corners, quarterbacks, and left- offensive tackles.

Alluding to the aforementioned A. J. Stamps takes us back in history to a couple of memorable eleventh hour battles. Then recruiting coordinator Tommy Limbaugh waged a all night battle prior signing day for Moe Williams a running back that was leaning heavily to the University of Georgia Bulldogs.

On another signing day occasion the three o'clock signing day press conference was on going and their was a lot of angst in waiting for an answer on South Carolina running back Rafael Little. At the moment of truth then recruiting coordinator Joker Phillips stepped in the back door and gave Rich Brooks who was on the podium a thumbs up. Another battle won for the home team. Notice in each of these tug-o-wars these were for out of state players.

Obviously Stoops hopes Stamps will be as quality as the other after two. We know how Williams turned out and without the nagging injuries that hampered Little's his career at UK could have been markedly different. When healthy he broke tackles and always made the first man miss in the open field.

Stoops talked about how unique the recruiting experience has been with the 2014 recruiting class. He said there is a lot of leadership, unity, and a strong bond in this class. No doubt he would be willing to go through another battle to shore up this class that is to sign on the first Wednesday in February if the results fall in UK's favor.
    Comments 3 Comments
      catmanjack -
      It would be hard not to notice how this group has bonded and that can only lead to great things on the football.
      CatQuick -
      Stoops will have roll up his sleeves and stay at work. I can imagine Urban isn't taking the recruiting loss to a "2 win" team very well. Will only become more competitive.
      suncat05 -
      The hell with Urban!!
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post