Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Grades: Kentucky v Belmont

Polson: B+ I don't think he's an option vs Looeyville. He was vs Belmont. Too slow, can't penetrate, even today. His play, though, was the Delta when we were down 11 in the first half. Still, we could use him to play next week like the "Kid from Muhlenberg".

Randle B He plays like Gulliver among the Lilliputians. Arguing with Cal and not passing in the open court didn't help his grade. Takes way too many plays off. Won't be playin Lilliputians next week.

Aaron Harrison B+ His stats don't lie. He was the offense when Randle was out.

WCS B+ LaPhonso was right to keep pointing out how his length and athleticism was critical to defending the trey.

Hawkins B- His assist was the turnaround play.

Poythress C- I dunno, did you see the "practice superstar"?

Young F bad defense and jerked frequently by Cal for apparent lack of hustle.

Andrew Harrison D- Not Cal's best point guard at UK in December. Yanked, for most of the 1st half in favor of the former walk-on who most people thought wouldn't ever see the court. Started the second half and the got yanked again.

Lee, Willis no grade

Cal C- What did we see different today?
    Comments 22 Comments
      catmanjack -
      In fairness Andrew had two fouls in the first half which will get you a sit every time with Cal no matter what.
      He still played average in my mind.
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      Have to disagree about Poythress. He was infinitely better on D than Randle, had 7 points and 5 boards in 18 minutes. Solid B.

Hawkins B+. Hustled and defended.

Randle C+. I saw little different from earlier. He was just being guarded by smaller, weaker guys.

WCS - B=. What a bandaid he is. Without him UK would be 5 and 6.

Aaron - A-. Our best overall player right now.

Andrew - C. Needs to be much better on defense.

Polson - B. Still can't guar, but he tries and plays how Cal wants him to.

Young D. I thin he had a rough week in school myself. Not used to trying as hard at it as I bet he had to.
      Bakert -
      Without looking at Bigsky's

Julius: A- He can be almost unstoppable at times and is right now better going to the basket than posting because when he posts he gets double- or triple-teamed and has not yet learned how to quickly recognize it and pass put of it. Loved seeing him take the 3-pointer and the 15-footer.

Aaron: A- 23 pts, 8 assists, 7 rbds. The only knock is that he was 7-17 from the field.

WCS: B. Perhaps the best defender we have. 16 points but "only" 2 blocks.

Andrew: D. Foul trouble limited him to 20 minutes. In those minutes he did nothing great but nothing terrible. 2 for 5 from the field but no assists.

Young: D. Almost the identical line Andrew had.

Ploson: B-. I know that looks harsh but in one more minute his line was no better than that of Andrew or Young. 1 for 2 from the field with one assist. He did bring some energy, something this team lacks at time.

Poythress: B- I want to see Alex play better so badly, but we keep getting "blah."

Hawkins: B. Like Polson he brought energy, but where Jared often appears to be a spectator on the court Hawkins does try to force the action. His line was not terribly impressive (2 pts, 4 rbds, 3 assists in 22 minutes) but he played hard and so e of that runs off on others.

Lee: D. Maybe not fair since he has missed some time, bit I can't believe he was on the court for 10 minutes.

Willis: I.
      Darrell KSR -
      Love this...thanks for doing it.

Keep 'em coming.

Sadly, I was limited to listening in the car (again) to the ballgame today and did not see it.
      cattails -
      Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post
      Without looking at Bigsky's

WCS: B. Perhaps the best defender we have. 16 points but "only" 2 blocks.

Did block a 3 point shot, something we haven't seen from him, going out on the floor to block a shot. Not many balls to block when the team shoots that many 3's.
      bigsky -
      For all our back n forth, it does seem that Bakert and I saw the same game.
      Crazy4Blue -
      Very good analysis BigSky
      Genuine Realist -
      You guys undergraded Poythress. Very active today, and Weymouth value improved body language. I have hope.
      Bakert -
      Quote Originally Posted by cattails View Post
      Did block a 3 point shot, something we haven't seen from him, going out on the floor to block a shot. Not many balls to block when the team shoots that many 3's.
      My "only" two blocks was a bit facetious. As you suggest, not a lot of opportunities to block shots when they aren't going inside.
      Carolinawildcats -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
      Polson: B+ I don't think he's an option vs Looeyville. He was vs Belmont. Too slow, can't penetrate, even today. His play, though, was the Delta when we were down 11 in the first half. Still, we could use him to play next week like the "Kid from Muhlenberg".

Randle B He plays like Gulliver among the Lilliputians. Arguing with Cal and not passing in the open court didn't help his grade. Takes way too many plays off. Won't be playin Lilliputians next week.

Aaron Harrison B+ His stats don't lie. He was the offense when Randle was out.

WCS B+ LaPhonso was right to keep pointing out how his length and athleticism was critical to defending the trey.

Hawkins B- His assist was the turnaround play.

Poythress C- I dunno, did you see the "practice superstar"?

Young F bad defense and jerked frequently by Cal for apparent lack of hustle.

Andrew Harrison D- Not Cal's best point guard at UK in December. Yanked, for most of the 1st half in favor of the former walk-on who most people thought wouldn't ever see the court. Started the second half and the got yanked again.

Lee, Willis no grade

Cal C- What did we see different today?

This is one seems to becoming more common among comments that I have read and heard. I honestly do think Cal has not adapted to this teams skill set and the new rules.

Peace

Richard (CW)
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Genuine Realist View Post
      You guys undergraded Poythress. Very active today, and Weymouth value improved body language. I have hope.
      The radio guys were very complimentary of Alex today. Unfortunately, I did not see him on TV.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
      jazyd -
      Probably because they actually know what they are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      The radio guys were very complimentary of Alex today. Unfortunately, I did not see him on TV.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
      Genuine Realist -
      Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
      Probably because they actually know what they are talking about.
      LOL. Yeah. I thought of that. Poythress was all over the court, as I saw it, and in on a lot of plays. Not at all shy.
      jazyd -
      I left at half, thought shopping at best buy and target would be more enjoyable and listened to the radio, seems they saw a different Poythress.

LOL. Yeah. I thought of that. Poythress was all over the court, as I saw it, and in on a lot of plays. Not at all shy.
      Genuine Realist -
      Hope you have it on DVR. It was fun.
      Bakert -
      It may be that Alex does things so effortlessly it sometimes doesn't look like he is playing as well as he does. He wasn't bad at all, I just keep wanting to see the guy we saw vs Duke last year.
      Padukacat -
      Team is a C+ and that's all that matters. Need a b+ effort soon!
      cattails -
      Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
      Team is a C+ and that's all that matters. Need a b+ effort soon!

This is what I would agree with, but it is getting better, there is no "I" in team.
      Doc -
      Only in Kentucky would a player who gets 29 points and 10 rebounds garner a C+ grade
      cattails -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      Only in Kentucky would a player who gets 29 points and 10 rebounds garner a C+ grade

I get tired of defending him. He is slowly expanding his game and he still puts up these numbers. Maybe the C+ comes from where he will be at seasons end??
  • KSR Twitter Feed