Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Sorry, But I Am Very Excited (Still) About This Team. We Played Very Hard Yesterday

Aaron Harrison Kentucky's best player?

Re-watched most of the game. UNC fans are saying this was the best they've played all year (much better than they did versus MSU or UL). Till the "tackle who gets it" scuffle at midcourt that led to the dunk by Johnston, the game was up in the air. That took it to 72-65 and UK still fought back. Very mature effort in an extremely hostile environment.

McAdoo had THREE free throws hit the back of the rim, go up 4 feet and then drop straight through. Tokoto has been called the worst shooter UNC has ever had. He drained a 3 (his 2nd all season) and made another long 2. Things happen.

Andrew Harrison and Aaron took over the game. Before everyone said they were not engaged enough. Now it is they are trying to do too much. Andrew had 17 points, 7 assists, and 6 rebounds. He hits his normal FT% and he has 21 points.

Several other points:
    1. Aaron may be our best player right now. Just terrific yesterday. 20 points in 24 minutes. Very good defense.

2. Young is playing better and better. 8-10 on FTs yesterday; nearly all of them clutch.

3. Poythress had 6 points and 8 rebounds

4. WCS played well, 12 rebounds and 5 blocks. Needs to improve his offense.

5. Randle is at the point where he needs to overcome the scouting reports geared to stop him. Cal needs to play him inside all the time. I said at the start of the season the Patterson experiment was a mistake. It is a stupid idea. No other way to say it.

6. Hawkins played 18 minutes and had 1 rebound for his stat line. 0-2 on FTs. Overall, that is beyond bad.

When the rankings come out we will have lost 3 games by a total of 14 points to teams that will be ranked (probably) #5 (MSU), #10 (UNC) and #14 to #15 (Baylor). All 3 were a "last possession" type game. I think the team is much better than we were and is capable of great things. We have the team to run off 15-20 straight wins.

Overall, if we play this hard the rest of the season I am very optimistic.

**I really HATE UNC**

Darryl
    Comments 25 Comments
      MTcatfan -
      I am with you 100% Darryl.
      anderwt -
      I want to be with ya Darryl..they don't seem to enjoy each other and play together.. I know some say the NC struggled ( don't agree, but ) those guys were a unit from day one..they pulled out the tough wins...this team is a long long way from being there..

Now in saying this the 2011 final four team, cal is right, they couldn't win a sec game on the road, but I remember the breakthrough against ut in the sec last sec game..that team was great shooters..

This team needs a break through..until them the doubts will linger
      Krank -
      Darryl, the day you MUST say you're sorry for being excited to be a Kentucky Basketball fan is the day you should give up these sort of forums. At least, that is how I feel.

Team cohesiveness, which is more than "learning how to play with each other" and more than "team chemistry" is still coming together. That should not be surprising to anyone, honestly, especially given how many Freshmen get so many minutes. Remember, this is STILL the youngest team Coach Calipari has ever assembled AND the youngest in D-1 this year.

Forget about results of this or that game. There is NO doubt that they are progressing AS A TEAM. We all tend to (self included) put this or that on one or two kids, but it rarely means much outside of the team context. I think the team D is CLEARLY improving, not that it's always consistent. Shooting is improving… well, not from the line, I agree, yet we should feel better about how they LOOK with their jump shooting IMO.

The rest is a mixed bag, again, because they are still building team cohesiveness, which includes how kids take to coming off the bench, playing their roles within the context of the game plan, etc. There are just so many details to be ironed out, most of them little things that add up, but I see NOTHING that should connote ANY panic.

Those who do, hey, that's on THEM.

EDITED TO ADD:…. ander, you and I posted at the same time, so I just wanted to make CRYSTAL CLEAR that NONE of my post was intended to respond to what you posted. Peace.
      bigsky -
      Six frosh and two basketball challenged sophs. The game is fast, and complicated, and incredibly physical. They aren't instinctive. They don't know each other on the court that well. Gonna take some time.
      anderwt -
      The big thing to me is , there is no smiles, no joy...even when team 1 was playing awful D and barely beating some teams early, they smiled..same way really in all the first 3 teams..this team looks like they just don't enjoy playing basketball and that to me comes directly from our starting guards
  • KSR Twitter Feed