Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Q&A with NBADraftblog analyst

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Edward Isaacson of http://www.nbadraftblog.com follows all aspects of college basketball and, unlike NBA team scouts that can’t comment about college players unless they do it anonymously, he can share his insights on individual players. I’ve always liked how candid he is in his assessments and he’s been very accurate with his observations.

Question: Was there just too much hype for this team or could UK still be national champion this year?

Isaacson: “It's rare that you see a lot of hype if there isn't talent to warrant it, and UK certainly has the talent to be a force in March. The biggest problems to me seem to be that this group of freshmen is very low on the learning curve of actual basketball knowledge. They are athletic. They can run, dunk, shoot, block shots. They don't understand the finer points of the game - court spacing, dealing with screens, reading defenses, etc. This isn't a knock on Coach Calipari. These kids either weren't taught the game well as high-schoolers or they ignored it. Coach Calipari has only has a short time to catch them up on things they should know while teaching them the new things they need. There is still time though for it to come together, but these kids will need to work harder than they ever had before to make their mark.”

Question: Has the overall play of Willie Cauley-Stein surprised you? Has he helped his draft status or is it too early to say?
    Isaacson: “It's best to split this into two parts. Cauley-Stein's defense hasn't surprised me, but his offense is starting to come along quicker than I was expecting. He has probably doubled the amount of post moves he had last year, though he still has a long way to go.
    “I had mentioned before the season that if everything fell right, he could be a lottery pick, and I still think that. I don't think he will develop enough to break into a high lottery guy, but an athletic 7-footer who can run the floor and block shots could be appealing to a few teams.”

Question: What do you like/not like about the play of Julius Randle? What must he do to be the No. 1 pick, or is that possible?
    Isaacson: “Randle has done a tremendous job doing what he does best — using his body to overpower defenders in the post. I've been most impressed with his touch around the basket and how light on his feet he is. I think he needs to work on using his right hand more. The spin move he always uses to get back to his left to take a shot may work in college, but NBA teams will figure it quickly.
    “I also think he can be more active on the defensive end. Randle is a strong rebounder, but you don't see him getting involved on misses that aren't right around him. The No. 1 pick debate will go on throughout the rest of the year, and it may really come down to owns the pick. As far as I'm concerned, Randle is still in the mix for that spot.”

Question: Are the Harrison twins both potential first-round picks in June or not? What are the pluses/minuses for each?
    Isaacson: “I think they both could be if they choose to come out of school, though both have a lot of work to do before then. Aaron has been the more impressive of the two with his ability to knock down shots with at least some consistency of as late. Andrew does a good job once he gets into the lane drawing contact, but it is becoming more of an adventure getting him to focus his energies on doing that.
    “Andrew also hasn't shown that he is capable yet of being an NBA point guard. His court vision isn't very good and other than lobs, he doesn't get the ball effectively to his teammates. Neither are very good on the defensive end, though Aaron seems to recover a bit quicker after he gets beat. I could write another 500 words about their body language on the court, but that's for another time. It's safe to say that the sulking and looks of disbelief after every call against them is not doing the twins any favors with NBA folks.”

Question: Has James Young's play surprised you? Is he a certain first-round draft pick as some have speculated?
    Isaacson: “I was highly skeptical after all of the early reports from media who visited UK practices who came out saying Young was the team's best player, and I was right to be. He's not. He's a good scorer, though he benefits a lot from the attention Randle gets around the lane area. Right now, to me, he is good as a spot-up shooter and in transition, but still below average to average at every other part of the offensive game.
    “He's only a 40 percent shooter right now and only 34 percent from 3. Nothing exactly to get excited about, though part of that blame can go towards the point guard. Young also can be an above-average defender, though he is inconsistent and relies more on his size and athleticism than playing fundamental defense. There is a lot of potential and I can see some teams still being interested in him as a first rounder, but I wouldn't say he has played like one.”

Question: Has Alex Poythress shown things to make NBA coaches make him a first-round pick or do you think his draft stock might be lower now than a year ago?
    Isaacson: “I though through the first five or six games, Poythress was doing a great job as an energy guy off the bench. He understood his role and and handled it well. Against Michigan State, he was one of UK's top two players out there. I'm not sure what has happened the last couple of games, but he seems to have reverted back to the second-half of last year.

“Inconsistent minutes are tough and it takes a different mindset to be able to step on the floor and play well when those minutes can come at different points throughout the game. He still has time this year to adjust and he is still a great athlete with an NBA-body, but I think its tough to say he would be a first-rounder right now.”

Question: What are your overall thoughts on Dakari Johnson/Marcus Lee?
    Isaacson: “It's tough to get a great read on these two with the spare minutes they get. My early impressions are that I love how Lee works when he gets on the floor and if he gets beat, its not for lack of effort.
    “I'm not a fan of Johnson from what I have seen. He's very awkward-moving for a post player and he has a similar problem as the Harrisons in that he is in disbelief in every call that goes against him. I have no idea how he was ranked so high coming out of high school other than his size.”

Question: Was there just too much hype for this team or could UK still be national champion this year?
    Isaacson: “It's rare that you see a lot of hype if there isn't talent to warrant it, and UK certainly has the talent to be a force in March. The biggest problems to me seem to be that this group of freshmen is very low on the learning curve of actual basketball knowledge. They are athletic. They can run, dunk, shoot, block shots. They don't understand the finer points of the game - court spacing, dealing with screens, reading defenses, etc. This isn't a knock on Coach Calipari. These kids either weren't taught the game well as high-schoolers or they ignored it. Coach Calipari has only has a short time to catch them up on things they should know while teaching them the new things they need. There is still time though for it to come together, but these kids will need to work harder than they ever had before to make their mark.”
    Comments 29 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      It is rare that I agree with your draft sources, but in this case, I think he is spot on for what he has been able to see of the players.
      StuBleedsBlue2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      It is rare that I agree with your draft sources, but in this case, I think he is spot on for what he has been able to see of the players.
      I totally agree. This is someone who has really studied what the Cats have done this season.
      cattails -
      I could not agree more with Isaacson, IMO he sees the same things I have seen for some time. I didn't expect it to be like this, but it is what it is. Cal is doing an excellent job with this group, I see step by step what they are going through, this is a work in progress. I thought we would be further along, I thought we would be better by this time, but it is not Cal's fault. Any coach in the country would love to have landed this class. This could in the end be his best team ever but so much depends on how fast the kids pick it up, and they could still lose 5,6 or 7 games before NCAA Tourney.
      Darryl -
      The only guy NBA ready is WCS (defensively). Randle has to leave really, but every other player SHOULD come back to UK, including Young.
      We may be better next season.

Darryl
      cattails -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
      The only guy NBA ready is WCS (defensively). Randle has to leave really, but every other player SHOULD come back to UK, including Young.

Darryl
      Mind you WCS, Randle and Young are gone mistake or not. Randle will be better in the NBA than in college, WCS will take some time and be a role player and Young will get picked up in 1st round. A lot of season left but it would be better for the rest to come back.
      StuBleedsBlue2 -

Darryl
      . The problem is, I don't know how you can have both. If this team turns it around and makes a really deep tourney run, then it's going to be because players improved, more than likely meeting their original projections.

If we don't go far, we'll probably see a mass return of players(excluding WCS and Randle). This would probably be better for long term success, depth and experience. Would we want to sacrifice a title this season to remove our dependency on Freshman?
      Darryl -
      Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
      . The problem is, I don't know how you can have both. If this team turns it around and makes a really deep tourney run, then it's going to be because players improved, more than likely meeting their original projections.

If we don't go far, we'll probably see a mass return of players(excluding WCS and Randle). This would probably be better for long term success, depth and experience. Would we want to sacrifice a title this season to remove our dependency on Freshman?
      Stu, interesting thought. Say we fail to win this year. Everyone returns save WCS/Randle/Young. That would mean Lyles, Towns,
      Booker, and Ulis all would be backups. Even Vaughn if we landed him. That 2014-15 team may be stronger compared to the rest
      of the nation than we thought this team would be.

Then Booker, Ulis, Lee, Poythress (?), Willis, Hawkins, Towns would welcome in the epic class of Malik Newman, Kennard, Carlton
      Bragg, Labassiere, perhaps Zimmerman. That would be an incredibly talented, relatively experienced team.

Maybe Final 4 in 2014, NCAA champs in 2015, NCAA champs in 2016?

Darryl
      cattails -
      Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post

History will repeat itself no matter, lose a bunch or several come back and then lose a bunch. This is not a long term fix by any means, we live and die by the freshman and the holdovers that come back.
      CitizenBBN -
      I agree with him as well, esp. his observation that these guys as a group must have been excused from any practice in high school that touched on defense, spacing, moving without the ball, boxing out, pick and roll, give and go, or any other part of the game that involved 2 or more people doing something simultaneously. I'm 100% behind them, think they can do a lot this season (it's mid December), but their fundamentals are bad even for freshmen.

As for who returns, if that many return this next year's class falls apart and all heck breaks loose b/c I don't think we have enough rides and I know we don't have enough basketballs. How much turmoil is created if Ulis/Booker feel duped if the twins return? I don't know what has been said to them, but my bet is they arent' planning on the backup role at UK even as frosh.
      StuBleedsBlue2 -
      Stu, interesting thought. Say we fail to win this year. Everyone returns save WCS/Randle/Young. That would mean Lyles, Towns,
      Booker, and Ulis all would be backups. Even Vaughn if we landed him. That 2014-15 team may be stronger compared to the rest
      of the nation than we thought this team would be.

Then Booker, Ulis, Lee, Poythress (?), Willis, Hawkins, Towns would welcome in the epic class of Malik Newman, Kennard, Carlton
      Bragg, Labassiere, perhaps Zimmerman. That would be an incredibly talented, relatively experienced team.

Maybe Final 4 in 2014, NCAA champs in 2015, NCAA champs in 2016?

Darryl
      I've always thought that a true dynasty can only be built with the proper combination of veterans, skill sets and one and dones. It took Pitino 6 years to build one, he just didn't stay around to see it through.

Cal got the title out of the way early, but it's clear to build the dynasty, we have to break the freshman dependency. If we don't win this year, defection is minimal and add next year's class that is not heavily one and done, and the structure is in place for the dynasty.

I can think of worse things.
      anderwt -
      When I said earlier about Cal's strength has turned into his demise? At UK right now, if you are a freshman and don't go to the nba, it's deemed a failure
      cattails -
      Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
      When I said earlier about Cal's strength has turned into his demise? At UK right now, if you are a freshman and don't go to the nba, it's deemed a failure
      So you're saying that Lamb, Jones, WCS, Poythress, Lee and Johnson (for sure) are failures?? I might have missed a few.
      anderwt -
      Let's be honest , if they're isn't a threat of a nba strike, TJ goes pro after year one..and yes AP has been deemed a failure by NBA scouts...
      BarristerCat -
      Let's be honest , if they're isn't a threat of a nba strike, TJ goes pro after year one..and yes AP has been deemed a failure by NBA scouts...
      You're getting your causes and effects mixed up. To whatever degree Poythress actually is considered a "failure" by anyone, it is because he has played poorly, not because he chose to come back for a second season.
      jazyd -
      After reading his report, I know more than I thought. He and I agree totally on the twins and tank goodness I am not alone in seeing that Andrew does NOT get the ball to his teammates
      cattails -
      Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
      After reading his report, I know more than I thought. He and I agree totally on the twins and tank goodness I am not alone in seeing that Andrew does NOT get the ball to his teammates
      Skip let's remember this ,team mates need to be where they are supposed to be, if not this makes it hard job for the p {PG
      kingcat -
      Our recruiting will likely cool off a bit as players realize there is not a magical one season journey to the NBA awaiting them at UK. Honestly, that's to be expected regardless.
      The only way to go is down.
      Edward100 -
      Calipari has said he wants to recruit the best of the best. He has done a great job getting the players here. Instead of relying on the media’s top 5 star players, should Kentucky be looking at more fundamentally sound and team first players? No coach will turn down a 5 star player but there may be something to the saying, “Too much of a good thing can be dangerous.” Is there a solution or is it the nature of the beast?
      Padukacat -
      Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
      Our recruiting will likely cool off a bit as players realize there is not a magical one season journey to the NBA awaiting them at UK. Honestly, that's to be expected regardless.
      The only way to go is down.
      I certainly hope we do come down a notch, what we have seen in recent years is abnormal in regard to depth of ea class. We need 2 new studs each year to add alongside returning players.
      cattails -
      Yep, I would agree with that.
  • KSR Twitter Feed