Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Calipari explains substitutions, cohesiveness

ON WHY HE DIDN’T SUB MORE VS. BAYLOR IF HE THOUGHT GUYS PLAYED TOO MUCH: “Well, let me just tell you, one thing I know you’ve never done is coach. (Alan Cutler: Sure I have, unsuccessfully). Right. You’ve been fired more times than I’ve been fired. (Cutler: Actually, we’re about even). We’re about even? OK. You just, you get into a game, in the heat of the game and you forget. I’ve forgotten – there are times I forget guys are on the bench, and I look down and I go, ‘What are you doing? Get in.’ So it happens.

“Sometimes it’s the flow of the game, and you’re just trying to get out of the game, which is what happened there too. You know, we get up, we’re ready to blow them out, I don’t want to make changes, I wanted to keep going. Like I told them after, we didn’t play enough people. So, we’re going forward with the idea that, ‘Look, some of you guys got to play, and we’re going to buy time and hopefully you’re going to play well because you deserve to play well because of how you practice and you deserve more minutes.’ And we’re go from there.

“But, that had nothing to do with them outrebounding us by 18, had nothing to do with their physical play vs. our lack of physical play. That happened early, not just the last four minutes. So, there were things – I don’t know if I could have subbed when we missed those first six free throws. We were 0-for-6. So… But, I come back to, played guys too many minutes. They’re not ready for that. And that means they go in and that’s when they stop play and they try to get – you know – so they can make it all their minutes.”

ON IF THERE IS A BALANCING ACT BETWEEN DEVELOPING COHESIVENESS AS A UNIT AND PLAYING TOO MANY MINUTES: “Yeah, yeah. That’s one of the reasons you play less people. But, what we have is some guys that were playing with no real intensity that did not deserve to be out there that long or were just getting pushed and shoved. Then you don’t deserve to be in there. So there is a fine line, but there’s also – you can’t play that way and stay on the court.”

ON IF HE’S EVER SURPRISED AT THE EXPECTATIONS FROM FANS FOR A FRESHMAN-HEAVY TEAM AT THIS POINT IN THE SEASON: “I don’t, I don’t – it’s my own expectations. I don’t, none of it, no one else’s expectations I even listen to or look at or read. It’s my expectations. This team, what they seem to do is they get it going and do it right and then they get arrogant and then they step back. Like the first five minutes of that game, had no pressure on the ball, none, no talking and just got shoved out of the way. You know, it’s just, where did we go from where we were? How did we step back? Well, that’s what young teams do. Look, the way we do it is really hard. The way they’ve always played has been really easy. Now, which way do you want to do it? The real hard way or the easy way and every chance you can revert back to see if it’s still works you do? It’s just how it is coaching young teams.”

ON VOICING HIS DISPLEASURE AFTER THE GAME AND WHETHER HE DELIVERED THAT MESSAGE AGAIN IN PRACTICE: “No, we just talked to them about, ‘Here’s where we are right now.’ And probably went longer yesterday because we just, look, the bottom line is: We don’t have enough time to teach these guys everything they don’t know or we’d have seven-hour practices. So we have to narrow into what’s really important for us as a team. And we can’t even really worry about the next game; we gotta worry about us. The next game we play, Boise’s 8-0; they’re the second-leading scoring team in the country; they shoot threes at a high clip; they run the dribble-drive better than we ran it; they spread the court with four guards. They have four guards. So somebody is going to guard a guard that’s not used to guarding a guard. That’s just how it is.”

ON WHETHER HE BELIEVES THIS WILL BE A GOOD DEFENSIVE TEAM: “We need to be. It’s, you know, I don’t have any other thoughts. But we need to be a great defensive team. We don’t have team confidence right now. Team confidence. And the reason is because they’re not relying on each other, they’re not talking to each other and we’re not a great defensive team. When you become a great defensive team and a rebounding team, and you take great pride in it – we’re not taking great pride in it. When you take great pride; like when we played Providence, Aaron took great pride and he guarded that kid and all the sudden the game changed. When you take great pride in your defense and your rebounding, you have confidence. You know, ‘We’re fine. They can make a couple crazy shots. We’re fine.’ We haven’t built that yet. And we’re just trying to get them to understand: That’s the only way you build it. They’ve never needed it before because, ‘I’m just going to do my thing and I’ll be fine.’ Now you have to change. So these are all habits they have to change.”

ON HOW UK’S STOPPER IS: “Well, you have – Aaron has shown he can do it; James Young has shown he can do it. But you need a team full of guys who are guarding. I mean, it starts with your point guard. If he can’ t pressure the ball, then someone else has to be playing; that’s just how it is. It starts with your interior defense. Is Willie the only guy that’s going to block shots? Some guys just stand there: ‘I’m not involved in this.’ Well you can’t. Then the other thing is, as hard as we try to play offensively, then we gotta rebound the ball defensively the same way, because if we do run, we can get out and run. We’re not getting any easy baskets. When the other team gets that many offensive rebounds, why? Because they’re down ready to go and anxious to go get the ball and you’re like, ‘Well, I hope somebody grabs this.’ That’s all stuff we’re just learning.”

ON HOW MUCH CREDIT WE SHOULD GIVE BAYLOR: “Yeah, they played. They played. They weren’t in awe of our team. They just said, ‘We’re good, too. Let’s go see what happens.” And they played physical. I think the whole game plan was beat ‘em up a little bit. And just about every team I’ve had here, that’s been the MO. And until you can withstand that, you’re not going to have confidence. It’s like going in the (boxing) ring. You’re real confident until the first shot to your nose, your eye, your chin and your ear. You’re not so confident anymore. Now, if you give him a shot to the eye, the ear, the chin and the nose, you’re very confident.”
    Comments 16 Comments
      badrose -
      Very metaphoric, but I think we're in sync.
      LakeCat -
      Are our asst coaches mutes during the games? Can they not say Cal we need to get some other guys in? How can you say we forgot to play more guys??
      anderwt -
      Quote Originally Posted by LarryVaught1 View Post
      ON WHY HE DIDN’T SUB MORE VS. BAYLOR IF HE THOUGHT GUYS PLAYED TOO MUCH: “Well, let me just tell you, one thing I know you’ve never done is coach. (Alan Cutler: Sure I have, unsuccessfully). Right. You’ve been fired more times than I’ve been fired. (Cutler: Actually, we’re about even). We’re about even? OK. You just, you get into a game, in the heat of the game and you forget. I’ve forgotten – there are times I forget guys are on the bench, and I look down and I go, ‘What are you doing? Get in.’ So it happens.

“Sometimes it’s the flow of the game, and you’re just trying to get out of the game, which is what happened there too. You know, we get up, we’re ready to blow them out, I don’t want to make changes, I wanted to keep going. Like I told them after, we didn’t play enough people. So, we’re going forward with the idea that, ‘Look, some of you guys got to play, and we’re going to buy time and hopefully you’re going to play well because you deserve to play well because of how you practice and you deserve more minutes.’ And we’re go from there.

“But, that had nothing to do with them outrebounding us by 18, had nothing to do with their physical play vs. our lack of physical play. That happened early, not just the last four minutes. So, there were things – I don’t know if I could have subbed when we missed those first six free throws. We were 0-for-6. So… But, I come back to, played guys too many minutes. They’re not ready for that. And that means they go in and that’s when they stop play and they try to get – you know – so they can make it all their minutes.”

ON IF THERE IS A BALANCING ACT BETWEEN DEVELOPING COHESIVENESS AS A UNIT AND PLAYING TOO MANY MINUTES: “Yeah, yeah. That’s one of the reasons you play less people. But, what we have is some guys that were playing with no real intensity that did not deserve to be out there that long or were just getting pushed and shoved. Then you don’t deserve to be in there. So there is a fine line, but there’s also – you can’t play that way and stay on the court.”

ON IF HE’S EVER SURPRISED AT THE EXPECTATIONS FROM FANS FOR A FRESHMAN-HEAVY TEAM AT THIS POINT IN THE SEASON: “I don’t, I don’t – it’s my own expectations. I don’t, none of it, no one else’s expectations I even listen to or look at or read. It’s my expectations. This team, what they seem to do is they get it going and do it right and then they get arrogant and then they step back. Like the first five minutes of that game, had no pressure on the ball, none, no talking and just got shoved out of the way. You know, it’s just, where did we go from where we were? How did we step back? Well, that’s what young teams do. Look, the way we do it is really hard. The way they’ve always played has been really easy. Now, which way do you want to do it? The real hard way or the easy way and every chance you can revert back to see if it’s still works you do? It’s just how it is coaching young teams.”

ON VOICING HIS DISPLEASURE AFTER THE GAME AND WHETHER HE DELIVERED THAT MESSAGE AGAIN IN PRACTICE: “No, we just talked to them about, ‘Here’s where we are right now.’ And probably went longer yesterday because we just, look, the bottom line is: We don’t have enough time to teach these guys everything they don’t know or we’d have seven-hour practices. So we have to narrow into what’s really important for us as a team. And we can’t even really worry about the next game; we gotta worry about us. The next game we play, Boise’s 8-0; they’re the second-leading scoring team in the country; they shoot threes at a high clip; they run the dribble-drive better than we ran it; they spread the court with four guards. They have four guards. So somebody is going to guard a guard that’s not used to guarding a guard. That’s just how it is.”

ON WHETHER HE BELIEVES THIS WILL BE A GOOD DEFENSIVE TEAM: “We need to be. It’s, you know, I don’t have any other thoughts. But we need to be a great defensive team. We don’t have team confidence right now. Team confidence. And the reason is because they’re not relying on each other, they’re not talking to each other and we’re not a great defensive team. When you become a great defensive team and a rebounding team, and you take great pride in it – we’re not taking great pride in it. When you take great pride; like when we played Providence, Aaron took great pride and he guarded that kid and all the sudden the game changed. When you take great pride in your defense and your rebounding, you have confidence. You know, ‘We’re fine. They can make a couple crazy shots. We’re fine.’ We haven’t built that yet. And we’re just trying to get them to understand: That’s the only way you build it. They’ve never needed it before because, ‘I’m just going to do my thing and I’ll be fine.’ Now you have to change. So these are all habits they have to change.”

ON HOW UK’S STOPPER IS: “Well, you have – Aaron has shown he can do it; James Young has shown he can do it. But you need a team full of guys who are guarding. I mean, it starts with your point guard. If he can’ t pressure the ball, then someone else has to be playing; that’s just how it is. It starts with your interior defense. Is Willie the only guy that’s going to block shots? Some guys just stand there: ‘I’m not involved in this.’ Well you can’t. Then the other thing is, as hard as we try to play offensively, then we gotta rebound the ball defensively the same way, because if we do run, we can get out and run. We’re not getting any easy baskets. When the other team gets that many offensive rebounds, why? Because they’re down ready to go and anxious to go get the ball and you’re like, ‘Well, I hope somebody grabs this.’ That’s all stuff we’re just learning.”

ON HOW MUCH CREDIT WE SHOULD GIVE BAYLOR: “Yeah, they played. They played. They weren’t in awe of our team. They just said, ‘We’re good, too. Let’s go see what happens.” And they played physical. I think the whole game plan was beat ‘em up a little bit. And just about every team I’ve had here, that’s been the MO. And until you can withstand that, you’re not going to have confidence. It’s like going in the (boxing) ring. You’re real confident until the first shot to your nose, your eye, your chin and your ear. You’re not so confident anymore. Now, if you give him a shot to the eye, the ear, the chin and the nose, you’re very confident.”

They play 4 guards and we will have a hard time guarding them..coach cal its called a zone, try it
      CitizenBBN -
      If he really forgot to sub then either a) he's not telling his staff to watch his back on such things, or b) they are not doing their job. Things like that often fall to the assistants, like saying "coach that's his 2nd/4th foul" etc. "Coach XXX has been in there a while, you want YYY to go in a few minutes?"

He "wanted to get out of the game". we were up 9, he wanted to get up 15 or so then take the air out, put it in cruise and play out the hand. The problem is young teams rarely do that well (2012 included). Until he gets OK with playing the lesser talented guys a few minutes b/c the uber talented guys can't play 40 minutes, or even 35, this team will struggle to close games.

Those are his words, talking about guys deserving PT and not deserving it, but his actions for 4.25 years are consistent with just demanding those guys play 35 minutes and far more important playing them even if they aren't playing well or doing what they need to be doing. We'll see if he's ready to use his bench to get the behavior he wants or if he's just content to keep yelling at them but not yanking them.
      dan_bgblue -
      We'll see if he's ready to use his bench to get the behavior he wants or if he's just content to keep yelling at them but not yanking them.
      Imo the benching a player to teach him a lesson is the least of the reasons to play more people. Rest is number one, coaching them while they are on the bench and watching the game and giving them pointers and giving them props for the good things they have done is number 2, and giving the players like Lee, Johnson, Hawkins, Polson a chance to make something positive happen with their energy and a different set of skills the other team has to combat is # 3. At least that is the way I look at it. Heck, put Floreal in the game for a couple of minutes and let him run the floor like a deer and wind the opponent.
      Darryl -
      Dan, another reason is that players returning the next season are not so raw and inexperienced.

Darryl
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      Imo the benching a player to teach him a lesson is the least of the reasons to play more people. Rest is number one, coaching them while they are on the bench and watching the game and giving them pointers and giving them props for the good things they have done is number 2, and giving the players like Lee, Johnson, Hawkins, Polson a chance to make something positive happen with their energy and a different set of skills the other team has to combat is # 3. At least that is the way I look at it. Heck, put Floreal in the game for a couple of minutes and let him run the floor like a deer and wind the opponent.
      I agree on all the reasons, not sure I have a personal order. I'm just going to what he said this summer and last year about how he couldn't sub guys out who weren't doing what they were supposed to do b/c he had no one to put in. If that's the reason they had to play last year regardless of their effort, what's the reason this year?

Hawkins is playing some, but we still have Willis, Hood, Polson and I agree Floreal should be listed there somewhere just as a guy who can give a guy an extra minute of rest before a timeout if nothing else. Not to mention Dakari and Lee of course.

If he's waiting for the next 5 guys to ever bee as good as the first five he's going to wait a long time. We've had some great teams with little drop off, but despite Delk and Epps being great we still played Turner and Shep, and in 98 as good as Shep and Turner were we still played Saul and Mills some. There's always SOME drop off, but if your top 5 guys can't play 40 minutes you'd better strategically plan for it and play them some.
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
      Dan, another reason is that players returning the next season are not so raw and inexperienced.

Darryl
      That should definitely be ether #1 or #4 depending on what one is looking for in a final result.
      LABS -
      He also talked about ball pressure. Gang, this team can't pressure the ball beyond the arc. Hawkins can a little but Andrew Harrison has yet to do it this year.
      The defense we are employing is not fit to our strengths.
      We will get better once we rotate better on the backside, but we struggle containing guards as it is.
      ajp40505 -
      Quote Originally Posted by LABS View Post
      He also talked about ball pressure. Gang, this team can't pressure the ball beyond the arc. Hawkins can a little but Andrew Harrison has yet to do it this year.
      The defense we are employing is not fit to our strengths.
      We will get better once we rotate better on the backside, but we struggle containing guards as it is.
      Well said, LABS. I hate to say it, but this team and this season is exposing Cal's flaws as a coach. There's no one better at recruiting these studs, but I worry that Cal is not good enough as a bench coach to get us all the way to the finish line. You give this bunch to Coach K, Izzo, or Little Ricky and they would steamroll the field.
      dan_bgblue -
      You give this bunch to Coach K, Izzo, or Little Ricky and they would steamroll the field.
      You could very well be correct, but how did you arrive at that conclusion? I do not believe any of those three have every tried to field a team of 5 freshmen, very talented ones or just 5 freshmen of any talent level.
      catmanjack -
      Are the Cal flaws starting to show up.
      Thedonnie123 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ajp40505 View Post
      You give this bunch to Coach K, Izzo, or Little Ricky and they would steamroll the field.
      Pitino wouldn't be able to win with them until they were juniors, though.
      bigronhahn1011 -
      I think that the UK job is starting to wear on Cal. He is becoming a victim of his own creation and success. The one-and-done system is going to require hard coaching every game, and Cal is starting to show signs of burnout. The comment "you’re just trying to get out of the game" makes me believe that Cal is starting to hit a brick wall. The man may be hitting burnout.
      blueboss -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      You could very well be correct, but how did you arrive at that conclusion? I do not believe any of those three have every tried to field a team of 5 freshmen, very talented ones or just 5 freshmen of any talent level.
      Quote Originally Posted by Thedonnie123 View Post
      Pitino wouldn't be able to win with them until they were juniors, though.
      The difference with Pitino, Izzo, K, would be Pitino would have them steamroll'n when they were Juniors or seniors and the other two could do it by the time they were sophomores.
      bigsky -
      They wouldn't get this team.
  • KSR Twitter Feed