Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Young on youth, more

Freshman James Young got to face the media Monday after Kentucky’s loss at Baylor Friday and before the Cats play host to Boise State Tuesday night. Here’s part of what he had to say.

On the team’s mentality after the loss …
    “We’ve recovered. No pressure at all, we’ve just got to get in the gym and just work hard.”

On how surprising this is …
    “It’s kind of surprising, but we just didn’t play to our full potential. That’s what can happen if we don’t come to our full game. So we’re just going to try to let it go and try to recover.”

On Calipari being mad about the loss …
    “Oh yeah, he was pretty mad and we were too. We just have to get in the gym. Yesterday we were in here for a couple hours and just keep practicing.”

On why they got outworked …
    “I think it was just the lack of communication that we had. We did not come out with as much fire as we should have and just really we were supposed to pick it up in the beginning of the game and we really let that go. They got a little lead and we had to come back.”

On free throws being a problem …
    “Not really. We just probably lost focus and we’ve got to stay focused. Mental discipline and Coach always points that out. We need to stay focused a little more.”

On how big a concern defense is …
    “We can play defense, it’s just we tend to stop sometimes and that’s what will really get us. We’ve just got to keep playing through the whole possession and not stop.”

On whether he is more eager to play after a loss …
    “Yeah, definitely. We love big games and we’ve just got to come out and show everybody that we do. We just can’t let stuff like that happen anymore.”

On fans expecting the team to play like veterans …
    “Yeah, we’re young just like some of the other teams and we’ve just got a lot to learn. We just take it day by day and Coach just gives us a lot and we try to take it in.”

On fans’ strong reactions to early losses …
    “I don’t know. I’ve never seen stuff like that happen before, but it’s just another loss, I feel like. We only have two, so I feel like if we just keep moving we’ll learn.”

On hearing from fans on social media …
    “Not really. I don’t really bother much with Twitter. I didn’t really hear anything.”

On the importance of December …
    “It’s pretty important to us. We’re just going to take it game by game. I’m pretty sure we can get the W if we just play hard the whole game.”

On his free throw shooting …
    “I just tend to lose focus when I’m tired, so that’s what it is. I just need to work on my conditioning more, get my fatigue up and I’ll be fine.”

On Boise State …
    “They’re pretty good, like Coach said, and we’ve just got to play hard. We’ve just got to out-tough them, muscle them a little bit. We have a height advantage, so if we use all our height I feel like we’ll be good.”

On what Calipari has said about Boise State …
    “That they’re really talented. We have to worry about everybody on the court. It’s not just our offense we need to worry about. We need to worry about defense as well.”

On whether Calipari is different after a loss …
    “No, he’s the same. He tries to let it go as well as we do and we just try to keep moving forward.”

On what advantage veteran teams have …
    “They’ve just been together longer so they have that chemistry. So we’ve just been working on ours because we haven’t been together for a while, but we’re getting stronger and I think we’ll improve more.”

On Rico Gathers saying UK was “stunned” when Baylor got after them …
    “They came at us with a lot of intensity and we just try to not worry about it as much. We let it go and just keep moving forward.”

On what they are still learning about each other …
    “Our play style. A lot of guys have different play styles, so once we get everybody’s style down I feel like we’ll be a real good team.”

On whether it felt like they might never make it back from Dallas …
    “Yeah. It seems like every time we go out of town there’s always a delay in our flight. But it took a while to get back and I was just eager to get back here.”

On whether the delay was especially hard after a loss …
    “Yeah, because we just had to sit there and dwell on it more sitting there on the plane. It was a long day.”
    Comments 31 Comments
      catmanjack -
      When I got to the losing focus part I just couldn't
      read anymore.
      How do you lose focus unless your focus is not
      on the season at UK.
      uklandrn -
      Thanks for the interview Larry. I love James - but do hope he works on his conditioning and focus like he says he is going to so he can hit free throws when he is tired.
      KentuckyWildcat -
      Stopped there also. I didn't really like that it was just another loss either.

Good job Larry. I just didn't like his answers.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
      read anymore.
      on the season at UK.
      MTcatfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
      read anymore.
      on the season at UK.
      You lose focus when you aren't used to having to focus for 40 minutes. These guys have never had to focus on anything that long in their lives before...heck they probably have never focused on anything longer than a text message their entire lives...lets not just assign everything wrong with this team willy nilly to the one and done thing.
      Padukacat -
      It's easy to lose focus at the line when you're tired that's typical. His stroke isn't the most reliable. Those just two losses suck though.
      Padukacat -
      We should've known he would lose focus and energy when we saw the pic of him sleeping on the bench in the preseason photo shoot. Shoulda known. Gotta dissect that stuff better! ;-)
      StuBleedsBlue2 -
      Yeah, those answers did nothing to change my mind that there is a clear lack of focus, an acceptance of losing that may plague this team all season. I just can't shake the fear that this team has more focus on draft day than doing what is expected when you put on the Kentucky uniform.
      catmanjack -
      Right there with ya SBB
      kingcat -
      "...once we get everybody’s style down I feel like we’ll be a real good team"

MTcatfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2;1331y29 View Post
      Yeah, those answers did nothing to change my mind that there is a clear lack of focus, an acceptance of losing that may plague this team all season. I just can't shake the fear that this team has more focus on draft day than doing what is expected when you put on the Kentucky uniform.
      So was John Wall focused on the draft? He was everyone's #1 heading into the season.

So was Anthony Davis focused on the draft? He was a high first rounder heading into the season.

So was MKG focused on the draft? After about 5 games was considered a high first rounder.

I mean are we really that jaded after last year that we accuse people we dont even know of some pretty horrible behavior? Even when last year really gave us no basis to make such accusations. Last year there was maybe ONE player who may have cared more about draft than team, but that was only one issue amongst a ton of others. We had one frosh who was a high first rounder that definitely wasnt looking towards draft, so that even out imho. Our problem was the third frosh just wasn't as good as advertised, and our PG was timid as a church mouse.

I just dont know where people are getting this looking towards the draft crap. Lets give this team longer than December 5th before making such hurtful accusations. This type of conversation I have always felt is an end of year discussion after you have 5 months of results including the OOC schedule, the SEC regular season, the SEC tournament, and most importantly the NCAA tournament results. If this team pulls it together like 3 of 4 of Cal's teams have, some of you are going to look awful foolish for some of these "pronouncements" based on a handful of games. If it doesn't pull it together then you can crow about it once all the results are in. Patience is not a bad thing...
      UKHistory -
      Thanks Larry. I don't know what to think in terms of his comments.

Proof is in the results. We will see what happens tonight and going forward.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by MTcatfan View Post

You lose focus when you aren't used to having to focus for 40 minutes. These guys have never had to focus on anything that long in their lives before...heck they probably have never focused on anything longer than a text message their entire lives...lets not just assign everything wrong with this team willy nilly to the one and done thing.
      They will be OK once they learn that they don't have a game at 8 after they lose at 2. I don't see it as selfishness or a one and done syndrome, but a product of not having the correct psyche or mental make-up.

When will they obtain the correct psyche? I have no idea. I hope it is this year.

Sent using Forum Runner
      Rock Hard Ten -
      Every player has their own regimen for shooting free throws…….his involves no dribbling……he is just cool and shoots it…..it did seem that a bit more of a regimen would have helped his focus at that time, late in the game…….guess many of us remember Kyle and the rubbing the socks routine…..
      anderwt -
      I can tell you without question that the folks around young have one thing in their mind..2014 draft..cypher that how you want to, don't over think the room
      KeithKSR -
      It also needs mentioned that freshmen have never been fatigued before like they are at present at the end of close games. It is easy to lose focus when you are really fatigued, no matter what it is that you are doing.
      Philly Cat -
      As Mick has said, "AAU ball." It's just an AAU mentality right now. I hope they come out with fire tonight and prove me wrong.
      UKHistory -
      Hard to keep that out of your head.

But here is the thing...if that is all you think about you might not get drafted that high.

There is a necessary balance and we need focus on the team. One reason that Davis did so well was that his rise to stardom came quickly and neither he or his family had built an entourage since the 8th grade as some kind of "can't miss" star.

Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
      I can tell you without question that the folks around young have one thing in their mind..2014 draft..cypher that how you want to, don't over think the room
      badrose -
      I don't know how much we can read into this. It's a teenager doing an interview and it seemed kinda repetitive. Reminds me of a Paris Hilton interview I saw on TV.

"Why did you come out with your own perfume?"

"Well I always wanted to have my own perfume."

"Why did you do a CD?

"Well I always wanted to do a CD."
      suncat05 -
      It seems to me like their attitude about it is akin to "Don't worry about it..........we 'got this'!"............only at this point, THEY DON'T! Maybe it's because most of them are freshmen & sophomores, but I am not amused or enthralled with some of this interview.

I am kind of starting to feel a little bit uneasy after reading this interview.
      StuBleedsBlue2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by MTcatfan View Post
      So was John Wall focused on the draft? He was everyone's #1 heading into the season.

So was Anthony Davis focused on the draft? He was a high first rounder heading into the season.

So was MKG focused on the draft? After about 5 games was considered a high first rounder.

I mean are we really that jaded after last year that we accuse people we dont even know of some pretty horrible behavior? Even when last year really gave us no basis to make such accusations. Last year there was maybe ONE player who may have cared more about draft than team, but that was only one issue amongst a ton of others. We had one frosh who was a high first rounder that definitely wasnt looking towards draft, so that even out imho. Our problem was the third frosh just wasn't as good as advertised, and our PG was timid as a church mouse.

I just dont know where people are getting this looking towards the draft crap. Lets give this team longer than December 5th before making such hurtful accusations. This type of conversation I have always felt is an end of year discussion after you have 5 months of results including the OOC schedule, the SEC regular season, the SEC tournament, and most importantly the NCAA tournament results. If this team pulls it together like 3 of 4 of Cal's teams have, some of you are going to look awful foolish for some of these "pronouncements" based on a handful of games. If it doesn't pull it together then you can crow about it once all the results are in. Patience is not a bad thing...
      John Wall, Anthony Davis and MKG all had a couple of things in common that some of these kids do not. They never mentioned a thing about being one and done. In fact, at several points, they said they planned on staying 4 years. For all of those, it was about the team.

I just don't see the same with these kids. They've never wavered about being one and dones, and their play and attitudes reflect this at times. There isn't a whole lot of concern about losing. Why is that?

I can only judge from what I see. I want not only for the fans, but the players too, to turn it around. I'll gladly admit that I was harsh at this time if things change, but really I'm not saying anything else that Cal and the rest of the national media is saying, who has way more access to these guys that any of us have.
  • KSR Twitter Feed