Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• What will Towles do?

By: LARRY VAUGHT

If Patrick Towles is not happy at Kentucky, he’s certainly kept it to himself — something that is normally not easy for a quarterback who thought he would be playing to do.

Towles was Kentucky’s Mr. Football in 2011 when he led Highlands to another state championship. He was the bellcow in then UK coach Joker Phillips’ final recruiting class and was viewed as the savior of UK football. Instead, he got to play sparingly in 2012 only because other quarterbacks were hurt — and then got injured himself.

This season he was redshirted as he tried to cope and learn new offensive coordinator Neal Brown’s pass-friendly offense.

But with starter Jalen Whitlow returning, redshirt freshman Reese Phillips ahead of Towles on the season-ending depth chart, the possible return of part-time starter Max Smith and the arrival of Conner quarterback Drew Barker at UK in January, many have speculated that Towles will transfer.
    Don’t count on it based on two messages he posted on Twitter after UK’s season ending loss to Tennessee.

“Big thanks to the seniors for giving all they had day in and day out and for helping in this programs transformation!!! Always #family #BBN,” Towles posted. Then he added, “Can't wait for Spring Ball in Lexington! All improvement until then!”

Walk-on linebacker Tre Dunn of Mercer County has seen no signs of unhappiness from Towles, who was not available to the media after the season started.

“Me and Towles are really good friends. I always heard about him and (freshman walk-on receiver) Ozzie (Sheehan) both at Highlands. We have been pretty good pals. I am close to all the K-Y (Kentucky) kids. We have to stick together,” Dunn said. “I think Patrick is an extremely hard working individual and adversity is nothing new to him. He has handled everything well. He will continue to work hard because that is what he does best.”

Towles never pouted on the sideline during a game. He was usually one of the first to cheer for teammates. When Jalen Whitlow was injured at Georgia, Towles put on his helmet and was ready to play if needed even though it would have burned his redshirt year.

“He is definitely someone regardless of what his position is on the team, he knows everyone has a role,” Dunn said.

“He is someone to bring guys up with him and encourage everybody to keep optimistic on the sideline. He is awesome. That is a trait everyone respects because he's awesome like that.

“He loves it here from what I can tell. I don't know all the details, but Patrick is an awesome teammate and I love having him around. He's great to be with.”

Former UK quarterback Jared Lorenzen is a Towles fan. He coached Towles at Highlands, where he also played, and understands the rigors of playing quarterback in the SEC. He’s never asked Towles about his future plans, but knows he’s heard no transfer talk from those closest to him.

“He always kind of grew up wanting to play for UK. He finally got his wish and he’s on full scholarship,” Lorenzen said. “He got to play (last year), throw touchdowns. I have not heard anything about transferring. He could light it up in the spring (practice). Not anyone is just going to be given the job. Someone has to take it. Maybe he just needs another year for that to be him.”

Some have speculated maybe Towles would stay at UK and change positions. Lorenzen says no way to that.

“He is a quarterback. It’s hard if you have never played another position to switch and do it. It just takes a certain mentality to play quarterback,” Lorenzen said.

But what about Danville’s Chase Harp? He was recruited by UK coach Hal Mumme at quarterback, didn’t win the job and eventually became a productive, starting tight end.

“What I love about Chase is that he was a dirty, mean player, and I mean that as a compliment,” Lorenzen said. “I wish I had had more of that in me. Chase loved the weight room. He was going to fight you. That was him. Moving him was fine.

“But at Highlands, if you play quarterback, you don’t play any other position. He did not play much defense in Pee Wee football. It’s just too hard at 21 years old to make a change like that.”

But could he cope with not playing another year if Whitlow, Phillips or Barker wins the No. 1 job over him?

“That’s person by person. He’s one of the most competitive kids I’ve ever been around,” Lorenzen said. “He wants to win and be the quarterback. All quarterbacks do. But a lot of backup quarterbacks realize they are getting school paid for, he’s there with his friends on a team and Pat could be part of teams that turn UK football around. There’s a lot to be said for that. On the opposite side, he could say I’ve given this long enough and I want to go where I can play. Everybody’s different.”

Lorenzen said the “mental maturity” is different for every player and for some, it takes longer.

“Everybody grows up at a different time mentally,” Lorenzen said. “Physically, the kid is a beast. But it’s really different playing quarterback in the SEC compared to the Big Ten, ACC or American whatever. This is where the cream is.”
    Comments 3 Comments
      cattails -
      I liked the last part "But it’s really different playing quarterback in the SEC compared to the Big Ten, ACC or American whatever. This is where the cream is.”
      ETWNAPPEL -
      If you follow him on twitter, he seems like a really great guy. He is always positive about UK like Larry says. I also like how clean his twitter is. He seems to really love his mother and sister. Who knows? Whatever the case, I hope he stays at UK, even if it as a backup. UK is hard to leave. I know a guy that left the baseball team and went NAIA. It was a hard adjustment. He wished he had stayed.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by cattails View Post
      I liked the last part "But it’s really different playing quarterback in the SEC compared to the Big Ten, ACC or American whatever. This is where the cream is.”
      Take that, Clint Hurtt.

Sent using Forum Runner
  • KSR Twitter Feed