Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• The Unspoken Speaks Loudly

By: LONNY DEMAREE

An exasperated Mark Stoops sat on the cramped press room podium facing the media after another SEC gridiron loss to Vanderbilt University. This is the third straight loss for the Wildcats to Vandy. It is still two losses away from matching the Bill Curry losing streak to the Commodores.
    "Do I need to say anything," the frazzled coach said. "It's the same old song and dance. You know the drill." That's the talk of a defeated man that sees no way out for the rest of the season.

Be that as it may, the Stoops era has been a trying experience for the coach that left a Florida State program that's on a fast track to the National Championship game.

Does the futility come as a surprise to the head coach? No! This writer has the connection to the fan-world somewhat unlike most in the media. In interacting with certain boosters Stoops said to them his honest assessment of this team's prospects. I said they would be lucky to win three games.

Even though that reality is about to come to fruition the coaches are still coaching hard. This flies in the face of some unreasonable fans that declare the coaches have thrown in the towel. Coaches are too competitive for that to be a fact.
    Comments 9 Comments
      jazyd -
      This group of coaches have not quit. They will win
      Edward100 -
      It took Brooks a couple of years to get it going. Give Stoops a chance. The sun will shine again.
      Padukacat -
      I think hes doing a fine job!
      anderwt -
      This staff got left a bunch of below the radar 2 stars. This isn't the players fault, I'd go to an sec school over Toledo every time..joker set this program back 3-5 years..this staff coaches their ass off and recruits just as hard..they will get this going..:
      wes011 -
      Coach Stoops and Co are doing an excellent job. We have become competitive with teams that blew us out last year. I don't really think anyone could ask for much more......at least not any fans living in reality. It's a sport that takes a long-term fix approach.....i just hope he sticks around to do it.
      dan_bgblue -
      This flies in the face of some unreasonable fans that declare the coaches have thrown in the towel. Coaches are too competitive for that to be a fact.
      Not only are they unreasonable, they are also ignorant and would be well served to shut up.
      Terry Blue -
      It actually took the Ole Man three and a half years to get it going:2003-2006 mid year. Of course he didn't even have a full schlarship team till 06
      Jimcats -
      The Auburn coach, team and fans might argue that a turn-around doesn't have to take years. But then that's Auburn and we're UK. I think it was Lombardi who first said "Good players make good coaches" or something to that effect. In any event, it is a very true comment and our staff is certainly getting better with the commits of 2014 and the RSs they been able to hold back this year.

Did someone really hear Stoops mumbling "Alas, alas. My kingdom for a quarterback!"?
      millsforthree -
      I have heard lots of people complaining about the results this year. They are comparing Ole Miss, Vanderbilt and Auburns results...Some reason they overlook the new coaches at both UT and Arkansas, schools that have more football history than UK, are still hurting under their new leadership.
      Ole Miss and Auburn coaches had much more talent when they arrived. The Ole Miss team folded on Nutt and Freeze got them to fight, he then recruited major talent to influx the program.
      While James Franklin seems to be a special coach, he benefited from an easy out of conference schedule, and by beating SEC teams with losing records---Franklins' best win was probably Ole Miss his first year, and if you remember the Cats handled Nutts last team easily the previous year. I will give Franklin kudos for building on his teams momentum. I do think 8-9 wins will be the limit at Vandy. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the sidelines of a bigger program soon.
      Auburn had no quarterback last year and the team essentially quit on their coaches. The past four years Auburn has recruited with the top ten in the country. Auburn's team was recruited to run the spread/triple option Mahlzan runs, and when Chizik tried to change the scheme to a pro-style offense.
      Mark Stoops stepped into a dire situation, where the previous regime recruited with the likes of Miami(OH) and Kent State. We are now recruiting at a high level, and getting players with BCS offers. We have a QB coming in that gained 10,000 yards and 110 TDs in his career, which should be help Brown get the ball in the air. Giving the talent Stoops seems to have coming in I am overly optimistic. I think the coaches he has on the sidelines are doing a great job, just keeping us competitive with what they had to work with. We may not be winning yet, and even though we have heard "next year," continually as Cat fans--I think next year we win 5-6 games.
  • KSR Twitter Feed