Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Things to watch for: Robert Morris Edition

By: Tyler Adkins

It has been almost 8 months to the day that UK suffered its most embarrassing loss of the John Calipari era, a 59-57 loss to Robert Morris in the first round of the NIT. A lot has changed since that game but there are at least a few players who will be wearing UK uniforms that played during that loss. With that said, lets get to the things to watch for:

*They call them free for a reason
    This should be the number 1 thing to watch for the rest of the year I would think for UK. After missing 16 free throws in a 4 point loss to Michigan State, I hope the Cats have spent hours in the gym shooting nothing but free throws during their week off. The one knock on John Calipari since he came to Lexington (and before) is that his teams cannot shoot free throws. I do not know why that is, other than he doesn't feel the need for his team to practice them. His philosophy that "they will make them when it matters" is more of a defensive mechanism than it is a true statement. Clearly his teams do not make them when it counts, and even if they do, the games typically would not be close if UK had made them throughout the game. Free throws are an even more important concern this year than ever before because most teams will be shooting more of them than in past years. Expect UK to get to the line 30+ times per game, and not only does that play into UK's weakness, but it takes opportunities away from players to make shots from the floor. Bottom line, this team has to shoot the ball better from the free throw line. I am looking for 70%+ the rest of the year.

*Poythress and Cauley-Stein
    I am looking for these two guys to have huge games. They were starters during the game 8 months ago and have no doubt shared the brunt of the loss throughout the off-season. Poythress has been very good this year and I expect to see him play with a little more fire than we are used to seeing due to how the game ended last year. Cauley-Stein needs to impact the game in the "junk" categories. I want to see him get double-digit rebounds, several blocks and steals. These two guys can also spark the team by playing hard early on, because it will show the younger players that the game means something to them.

*The Twins Harrison
    The Harrison's played poorly in Chicago, there is no other way to say it. Aaron did not shoot the ball well and Andrew was not very assertive throughout the game. I know it is early, but am concerned with the "coolness" with which Andrew Harrison plays the game. And no that is not a compliment. He almost plays like Teague did early in the year, too concerned with looking cool than doing what it takes to win the game. I hope those concerns are misguided and I am looking forward to him proving me wrong tonight. Aaron has played well, he just has not shot the ball very well. I expect to see that improve as the season progresses.

That is all for tonight. I am looking forward to a big win tonight in one of the most bizarre "revenge" games I can remember.
    Comments 5 Comments
      Padukacat -
      You are on it with the coolness, that doest work well vs quick.
      bigsky -
      Yes I'm going to disagree with you Krank. All the crocodile tears for the twins, or any other player for their on court misbehaviors and under performance. Off the court I grant a lot of latitude. There, they are young men, maybe even unnaturally young because they're on their own for maybe the first time outside a protected, guided environment. But in the court they got no business but all business. They don't need to cry in the locker room, they need to try on the court.
      blueboss -
      Cal said these boys (RO MO) are coming into Rupp fearless and this is going to be a big test to see how we respond after a big loss with a lot of emotion.
      bigsky -
      Heh, yes, For all we know it was Randle cryin after the loss.

I expected the loss to play out as it did, predicted it, even the boys vs men nature of the backcourt play. What I didn't expect was how the Twins reacted--and you know behavior doesn't have to be "overt" right? They started to shirk, not play through, not guard, not get back. They didn't have to make faces.

We fans on the board don't have to like it, respect it, or accept it. We can talk about it here. It doesn't make us lesser fans than you, don't you see?

We could go overboard. We do. On the other hand we also do pretty well supporting our players and even some that never
      Make it to the court, the kid that's playing for Utah now, or a John Stewart even.

What I'm sayin is, I've read your schtick, hangin in the weeds waiting to complain about a poster complaining about a player, then you'll pounce!

We get it. But it's the nature of message boards too, you get that? So maybe give it a rest, please?
      Krank -
      Thread improved… don't… you… see?????????????????
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post