Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Things to watch for: Michigan State Edition

By: TYLER ADKINS

After a long hiatus it is time for the first "things to watch for" post of the year. Kentucky has beaten up on the first two opponents this season but for most people the season starts today. The game has been billed as good vs evil, talent vs experience, recruiter vs coach, etc. Bottom line is this: this game is huge for national perception, but not really that important beyond that.

With that said, let's get to the things to watch for:

*Randle v. MSU Frontline
    Julius Randle has looked every bit the part of the #1 pick in the first two games, but tonight he will face one of the toughest tests of the year. MSU has big's that are strong, physical and very talented. Watching how Randle plays this game will likely show more of his strengths as a player than the first two games. In big games players go with what they are comfortable with, so it will be interesting to see if Randle continues to take people off the dribble, be more of a post up option, or do both as he has done in the first two games. How Randle plays will go a long way to determining the outcome of this game.

*Playing the point
    Last year, all UK fans learned what happens when Calipari does not have a point guard that can run the show. This year, Andrew Harrison has been a great floor leader in limited minutes. Although he hasn't been putting up great assist totals, he has made a lot of great passes that would have been assists had it not been for the opposition hacking and sending the recipient to the free throw line. Harrison needs to play well tonight. He doesn't have to be outstanding, but he has to manage the game. He is going against a very good perimeter defense that will test him from the time he gets across half-court. Playing composed is huge for Harrison tonight.

*Fouls
    Being the first marquee game of the season with the new foul rules, I expect to see a high number of fouls. UK, especially the guards, have to be able to keep their hands off and guard well without fouling. I will be interested to see the foul total.

That's all for today.
    Comments 10 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      All are excellent points and I would like to add one. Team rebounding. It better be the best we have seen so far if they want to come home with a W in the stats
      Philly Cat -
      I agree, Dan. I've always felt that rebounding is the key-- namely, keeping THEM off the boards.
      Krank -
      Nice and concise write up, Tyler. Thanks.

I agree with most points, including Dan's about rebounding and Philly's detail therein, which is (and SHOULD continue to be) one of UK's greatest strengths this season.

Adding to that, another of UK's strengths has been sharing the ball, yet Coach Calipari continues to complain about Andrew and others holding the ball too long in the half court to start sets, thus I say, especially against one of, if not THE, best strategic defensive coaches in the country, that they MUST get closer to what Calipari is looking for so that they can continue to share well within the framework of the offense and make the THIRD pass, which they often do not make, leading to too much one-on-one (or on-five for that matter).

Theoretically, the more seasoned Spartans will be more patient getting into their offense. In addition, the theory goes that the more experienced squad will be "more emotionally ready" and will "be up more" for the big stage simply because they are familiar with it. If both of those notions end up proving true, our young Cats will have to adjust quickly, BUT without panicking.

We have not seen them panic at all, but that doesn't mean they are incapable of it. Heck, all it takes is missing a few quick shots MSU converts quickly into points and some teams lose it under the lights. I personally do not believe this group has that sort of personality, but suffice to say they need to be BALANCED on offense, defense, and on the boards to be as good as they can be tonight.

UK should shoot the three better, rebound better, have better length, and have a lot more guys with diverse and deeply talented skill sets. Don't be misled though. Despite having a shaky record against marquee coaches and despite tending to start slowly, Sparty got game and Izzo can coach.

The answer to the question, "how can MSU be ranked so highly after losing nine games and going out in the Sweet Sixteen?" is... because they lost NOBODY, they have balance up and down the roster including excellent depth (nine deep to our eight deep, that's right, NOT seven but EIGHT, LOL), one of the very best floor coaches in all of the NCAA, and their OVERALL experience, meaning it is VERY significant that their most talented player, Gary Harris, is NOW a Sophomore and it is VERY significant that their most "important" player, Adrien Payne, improved a TON last year, offensively, and should be even MORE well-rounded by THIS season, and it is VERY significant that their notoriously uneven PG, Luke Appling, is now a Senior and that his defensive specializing is JUST what Izzo needs to lead against the most talented team in the nation.

I look forward to an excellent game.
      Doc -
      I don't see izzo as evil
      Doc -
      No mention of Harris? That is certainly a key to this game. Young or Aaron vs GH is big. I see Cal trying to muscle him w/Aaron or size him with james.
      Krank -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      No mention of Harris? That is certainly a key to this game. Young or Aaron vs GH is big. I see Cal trying to muscle him w/Aaron or size him with james.
      I agree, Doc, that Harris will get multiple defensive looks. I won't be surprised if somebody like Lee gets on him to make it difficult to shoot threes from certain spots.
      Doc -
      Can't see Lee on him. Harris would abuse him quickness wise. Harris is sneaky good at getting in the lane but also has the range. He would pull Marcus outside than go around him. Same approach Julius will use any time Payne guards him
      Philly Cat -
      Harris isn't tall, and either Harrison will be plenty long enough to contest jumpers. The real battle will come in closing the driving lanes for him. Not sure Lee is our guy for that. I think the Harrisons and James Young are up to the task, if they can keep their hands to themselves.
      Krank -
      I agree with you both and did not state my case too clearly. I think it is a good idea to TRY multiple looks on him. Where I see Lee guarding anyone who is not a big this year, is just to switch things up, TEMPORARILY, on a kid who can shoot like Harris. Lee is a kid who will be flying all around this year, grabbing bits of time defending non-standard match ups due to our whole team becoming VERY good on switching. This overall switching will be a key (if not today, in due time) to UK becoming a defensive juggernaut.

Look, MSU, historically, can be a bit bedraggled, offensively. If you can throw multiple different looks at their most talented scorers, it can throw them off as a team on that side of the ball, so I am not making a big deal out of Lee getting a LOT of time on Harris (because I agree that he can get past Lee, although I think Lee is underrated in his quickness and how he can use his length, not to mention that WCS, Poy, and/or Randle will be behind him to give Harris trouble closer to the rim), just that I think it wise to throw more than just James and Aaron at him. Andrew will guard him plenty too, because Appling is not much of a threat from deep.
      WoodstockCat -
      Interesting that Cal thinks MSU will get out and try and run more. Can't tell if that is just 'coach-speak' or not.
      Great test tonight, we face the best basketball team we have played all year. The lights are brighter, let's see how Cats respond.
  • KSR Twitter Feed