Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• 5 UK players make coaches preseason All-SEC team

UK Media Release
    BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Five Kentucky players were honored with preseason All-Southeastern Conference honors by the league’s coaches it was announced by the league office on Friday. Freshman Julius Randle was tabbed to the league’s first team, while sophomores Willie Cauley-Stein and Alex Poythress along with freshmen Andrew Harrison and James Young claimed second team accolades.

Seven different schools are represented on the two teams with Kentucky having five selections while Tennessee had three and Florida, LSU and Missouri each have two selections. In all, 37 different players received votes for the coaches’ teams.

The coaches’ preseason All-SEC first and second teams consist of a minimum of eight players on each squad, voted on by the SEC Head Men’s Basketball Coaches. No ties were broken and no predicted order of finish was made.

Randle averaged 18.5 points and 11.5 rebounds per game in UK’s two exhibition contests. He notched a double-double in both victories. The Dallas native previously earned All-SEC preseason first team honors by the league’s media voting panel and was tabbed the early season favorite to win SEC Player of the Year accolades.

Cauley-Stein and Poythress are UK’s top-two returning scorers from the 2012-13 squad. Both players earned distinction on the All-SEC Freshman team a season ago. Cauley-Stein logged 9.5 points and seven blocked shots in Kentucky’s two preseason victories. Poythress averaged 8.5 points in the two outings.

Andrew Harrison who is a Bob Cousy award watch list candidate earned preseason All-SEC second team honors by the media as well. Harrison did not suit up during exhibition play. Young was UK’s second-leading scorer in exhibition contests averaged 12.5 points per outing. He also dished out seven total assists and accounted for four steals.

The Wildcats open the 2013-14 campaign with a home contest Friday against UNC Asheville. Tip off is slated for a 7 p.m. ET start.

First Team All-SEC
    Trevor Releford – Alabama, G, 6-0, 190, Sr., Kansas City, Mo.
    Patric Young – Florida, C, 6-9, 240, Sr., Jacksonville, Fla.
    Julius Randle – Kentucky, F, 6-9, 250, Fr., Dallas, Texas
    Johnny O’Bryant III – LSU, F, 6-9, 256 , Jr. , Cleveland, Miss.
    Marshall Henderson – Ole Miss, G, 6-2, 177, Sr., Hurst, Texas
    Jabari Brown – Missouri, G, 6-5, 214, Jr., Oakland, Calif.
    Jordan McRae – Tennessee, G, 6-6, 185, Sr., Midway, Ga.
    Jarnell Stokes – Tennessee, F, 6-8, 260, Jr., Memphis, Tenn.

Second Team All-SEC
    Scottie Wilbekin – Florida, G, 6-2, 176, Sr., Gainesville, Fla.
    Willie Cauley-Stein – Kentucky, F, 7-0, 244, So., Olathe, Kan.
    Andrew Harrison – Kentucky, G, 6-6, 215, Fr., Richmond, Texas
    Alex Poythress – Kentucky, F, 6-8, 239, So., Clarksville, Tenn.
    James Young – Kentucky, G, 6-6, 215, Fr., Rochester Hills, Mich.
    Anthony Hickey – LSU, G, 5-11, 182, Jr., Hopkinsville, Ky.
    Earnest Ross – Missouri, G, 6-5, 228, Sr., Cary, N.C.
    Jeronne Maymon – Tennessee, F, 6-8, 260, Sr., Madison, Wis.
    Comments 8 Comments
      catmanjack -
      I know it's preseason but marshall Henderson is no way a first team all SEC.

Seeing Jarnell is a prime example of a player that went to another program that wanted UK and now look he is a JR.
      If he would have waiting 6 months and went to UK he might be in the Pros by now.
      Darrell KSR -
      Henderson was the SEC Tournament MVP last year, averaged more than 20 ppg for the season, and led Ole Miss to the SEC championship. He also made all-SEC 2nd team last year. He's going to score a ton this year, although no idea if it will be good shooting or not...assuming he's not suspended again.
      catmanjack -
      To me you don't base the All Star teams on who can score, I want the best all around players. He is very one dimensional.
      dan_bgblue -
      Hmmm. Might want to keep that one to see how they rank them at season's end
      blueboss -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      Hmmm. Might want to keep that one to see how they rank them at season's end

Ding, ding, ding.

They seem reluctant to put freshmen on the first team. By season's end will the players on the first team still be better than those listed on the second team?
      Krank -
      Somebody needs to keep a count of how many times (and from WHOM) Aaron Harrison gets dissed.

I am going to predict, right now, that Aaron gets First Team SEC when it matters… at the END of the season.

Wait and see.
      uklandrn -
      I agree Krank. Aaron Harrison keeps getting dissed. I also am surprised Alex Poythress was named pre-season 2nd team. I hope he has a great year and ends there - but I need the proof in the pudding. I would love to see a couple more guys of ours on the SEC 1st team at the end of the year. Totally agree about Henderson - I do not see how you can name someone pre-season SEC 1st team when he is suspended - again!
      Darrell KSR -
      I haven't seen enough games yet, and the SEC season has just begun, but do you have any revisions to the preseason picks they chose?

Sent using Forum Runner
  • KSR Twitter Feed