Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Stoops confirms today that Timmons likely will not play

Kentucky coach Mark Stoops said “it doesn’t look good” for freshman receiver Ryan Timmons playing Saturday against No. 9 Missouri.

“ Looks like he’s got an ankle sprain. Unless he makes a drastic improvement here in the next day or so it doesn’t look like he’ll be able to go,” said Stoops Wednesday on the Southeastern Conference coaches teleconference. “It definitely changes us. He’s a guy that we’ve featured and tried to find ways to give him the football. We have to have some other guys step up.”

Timmons is UK’s second leading receiver and one of Kentucky’s fastest players. He hurt his ankle in last week’s 48-14 win over Alabama State in the second half just a few plays before he was going to come out of the game.

Stoops did confirm that receiver Javess Blue — who didn’t play last week after getting hit in the eye with a football during pregame warmups — “should be fine” for Saturday.

“(Blue) is fresh with sitting out last week. So Javess is good,” Stoops said.

Freshman receiver Alex Montgomery is out for the season after injuring his knee celebrating a touchdown catch last week. But Stoops said junior Demarco Robinson is improving as is sophomore A.J. Legree.

“Jeff Badet had a very good game last week with another freshman stepping up and improving. Our other guys are starting to come along. Demarco is as healthy as he’s been in a while. So it’s good to get him out there and get him going. A. J. is starting to improve. So we just need some other guys to step up (at receiver),” Stoops said.

The coach said junior Daryl Collins, who has played sparingly, is also “working a little bit” more at receiver this week.

Kentucky will face another top 10 team in Missouri, one that Stoops says has no glaring weakness.

“Missouri’s a very good football team, very well-coached. Good in all areas of the game. Their offense has been outstanding and very balanced with the run and the passing,” Stoops said. “I think they’re a very physical team. Their o-line is playing extremely well, and of course we know about the quarterbacks and their big wide receivers, so we’ll have our hands full. Defensively, they’ve been extremely aggressive playing very good football. The thing that jumps out at me is how hard they’ve been playing and how passionate they seem to be playing and flying to the football.”

Stoops again said it didn’t change preparation if quarterback James Franklin, out three games with a shoulder injury, came back this week or if redshirt freshman Maty Mauk continued to play quarterback.

“It’s a great testament to their team and the depth that coach has built there. You see these guys, and you see their maturity. I think you look at them last year and look at them this year and you see the maturity and really the health of their offensive line,” Stoops said. “Their wide receivers are big and strong.

“I don’t think it really matters what quarterback’s in there. You watch both of them, and they’re both very impressive. Maty Mauk’s done a very good job in leading their offense, and you really don’t see much drop off. I think earlier in the year when you watched James, you see a very talented quarterback and a guy that’s very comfortable back there and the poise the he has, just the experience. But with getting all these games under his belt for Maty Mauk, I think I’m sure he’s getting more and more comfortable each time he’s back there.”

Defensive coordinator D.J. Eliot said the Missouri “offense doesn’t change” no matter who plays quarterback.

“They still run the same offense. Both the quarterbacks are very good players. I look at both of those guys as guys that could be starters on just about any SEC team,” Eliot said.

He’s also impressed with the Missouri offensive line.

“Those guys are very, very good blockers and most of the guys who played last year are young guys and now they’ve developed into good veteran players. It’s going to be quite a challenge for our guys,” Eliot said.

Stoops hopes Kentucky quarterback Jalen Whitlow is feeling more comfortable, too, after throwing for two scores and running for two last week.

“He seems to be rolling along pretty good,” Stoops said.

The coach knows UK has to start well because of the way Missouri plays.

“They come out firing. That tempo with the great execution that they’ve shown in just about all their games early, it’s hard. But we’ve got to make some stops. That’s just it. Like I’ve said over and over, there’s no — you’ve got to go out there and make plays against a good football team,” Stoops said.
    Comments 2 Comments
      BarristerCat -
      That's a big blow to any hope we have of upsetting Mizzou. At least Blue is ready to go now.
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by BarristerCat View Post
      That's a big blow to any hope we have of upsetting Mizzou. At least Blue is ready to go now.
      Yup, not having Timmons and Montgomery will for sure hurt, but it is good to have Robinson back and improving and Badet coming along. Maybe they just needed the reps and a little more experience in the fire to boost their confidence and play. I think Robinson is just one or two blocks away from taking it to the house every time he returns a kick.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post