Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• "Oh, God!" - Trey Lyles, Recruiting, and Related Renderings

Trey Lyles, a top 10 national recruit, Scout.com's # 1 ranked power forward in 2014, being heavily recruited by everyone in the nation, committed to the University of Kentucky today, choosing the Cats over Louisville. That was widely expected up until about fifteen minutes before his announcement, at which point, the internet broke.

The best I can determine, Brian Snow of Scout.com heard "something." He tweeted, "At Trey Lyles announcement. All I am going say is on election day Kentucky is a RED state."

Snow followed that up with, "Not betting the mortgage by any means. Only could go with what I was told. will be interesting. Scout.com has conflicting info."

Very reasonable, and no problem with what he tweeted. Just what he heard, and nothing more. Didn't claim complete accuracy, and acknowledged that his own company (Evan Daniels, most likely) had conflicting information.

At this point, I was reminded of the 1977 George Burns-John Denver movie, "Oh, God."

But let me back up. Word had it, from pretty reliable sources, that Trey Lyles committed to Kentucky three days ago. In fact, Lyles confirmed that today at his announcement. I was aware of this word, and sat back, fat and happy, content in the knowledge that I had "inside information," and that it was definitive.

But how sure was I when this misdirection developed? In the movie, "Oh God!" John Denver was in court, defending the absurd--but truthful, per the movie--notion that he had seen, and spoken to God (George Burns) in a slander trial. At trial, he called, as his next witness, "the Lord, God."

Naturally, nobody appeared, at first. Denver argued that in that instant, in that millisecond, everyone in the court felt that God could have appeared, and everyone waited to see if the improbable would appear, and they all felt that anticipation as if it might occur. Because of this, he argued, he was entitled to the benefit of the doubt.

And that's where I was. With the internet near-broken, Snow and others* waffling, I waited for the improbable to occur. I typed on a thread, "Lyles committed to Kentucky three days ago," and began a post explaining why the recent posts were not only implausible, but completely false.

And then I deleted it without posting, waiting for that "Oh, God!" moment to arrive to sucker punch me in the gut.

Fortunately for Kentucky and Kentucky fans, it never arrived. But the mere fact it could have arrived points out the wildly unreliable nature of all things related to recruiting, and even moreso, to predicting recruiting. While we hang on every word of the experts, and have our own, the truth is, sometimes we just don't know. And won't know, until George Burns materializes in the witness chair, "so help me, me."

*Others included those like Matt Jones of Kentucky Sports Radio, who was surely possessed of the same or superior iniformation that I had. Jones immediately waffled after Snow's tweet, saying that "Count me as not as confident on Lyles as last night." After Evan Daniels posted that he still expected Lyles to commit to Kentucky, Jones similarly said he would still bet on Kentucky. But both were not nearly as strong as even earlier today. Both were doing their job, and neither are to blame for this phenomenon. I include them just for reference purposes.
    Comments 28 Comments
      Bakert -
      Darrell, is this something you have written or is it someone else, and if so, who? Just curious. Thanks.

EDIT: The only reason I'm asking is the part about knowing that Lyles committed 3 days ago. Not saying you would have, or should have, shared that, but I don't remember seeing it here and honestly would have expected something along those lines if you or someone else had heard it. If for no other reason than to keep Darryl off the ledge.
      Darrell KSR -
      Nah, I just wrote it. Showing my age with a 1977 movie, too.
      Bakert -
      Very nicely done!! So if you knew three days ago and didn't contact Darrly b/c this morning after his meltdown you have some explaining to do.
      bigsky -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Gotta order waffles
      Darrell KSR -
      I posted yesterday it was done, no doubt, and posted a Sharpie. That's about as much as you're going to get out of a non-inisider with rare info.
      blueboss -
      Cal had someone leak the late UL switch to Snow just so the duh-ville faithful would stir back up to a frenzy only to yanked back down again. I'm sure this has been pointed out before that UL has a ville behind them, while UK has a nation behind them. Don't mess with the nation when it can be avoided!
      TRUCKERCATFAN -
      Yeah. I was born in May of that year. You are old!!!!
      bigsky -
      I posted yesterday it was done, no doubt, and posted a Sharpie. That's about as much as you're going to get out of a non-inisider with rare info.
      Yeah they'd be Matt waffles, not Darrell waffles.
      ukpumacat -
      Darrell, that was an awesome article man. I would highly encourage you to post that on Scout's front page if you have not already.
      BarristerCat -
      Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
      Cal had someone leak the late UL switch to Snow just so the duh-ville faithful would stir back up to a frenzy only to yanked back down again. I'm sure this has been pointed out before that UL has a ville behind them, while UK has a nation behind them. Don't mess with the nation when it can be avoided!
      I don't think Cal did that or that the purpose of the leaked misinformation was yanking any UofL chains.

As to the OP, great stuff, Darrell.
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      I've had two boys go through their teenage years, have one who is now a teenager and one who will begin being a teenager in February. And let's face it, teenage boys are dumb as boxes of rocks sometimes. I don't care how high their IQ is or how good the advice they get is[or if they choose to follow the good advice they do get] , they just do stupid stuff sometimes.

There a lot of very smart people on this board. Most of you were teenage boys at one time and a few were teenage girls. And nearly all of you did something inexplicably stupid during those years.

So I would have been disappointed and surprised if Lyles had chosen U of L. But not totally shocked. Even smart kids are dumb sometimes.
      Kacat -
      Hits on recruiting sites=money
      drama=hits
      Accurate information without drama=sites that don't last long
      ukpumacat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kacat View Post
      Hits on recruiting sites=money
      drama=hits
      Accurate information without drama=sites that don't last long
      Except for this one of course.
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
      Except for this one of course.
      And that's why this one stands alone. I read JRows stuff on another site purely because he's a football recruiting animal.But to actually talk about UK? Nowhere but here. No place else even begins to compare.
      dan_bgblue -
      Really enjoyed that piece Darrell. This was one of those days that I had to be totally focused on business from 7 this morning till about half an hour ago. I had no idea who Lyles picked until I logged in here a few minutes ago.
      Krank -
      Loved the story and the writing especially, Darrell. Thanks for the great read!
      blueboss -
      Quote Originally Posted by BarristerCat View Post
      I don't think Cal did that or that the purpose of the leaked misinformation was yanking any UofL chains.

As to the OP, great stuff, Darrell.

Sarcasm font needed, I had just finished reading some red planet melt down fodder when I posted.
      Darrell KSR -
      Thanks, appreciate those comments, and glad some enjoyed it!

Sent using Forum Runner
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
      Sarcasm font needed, I had just finished reading some red planet melt down fodder when I posted.
      This is the "official" KSR sarcasm "font"
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post

This is the "official" KSR sarcasm "font"
      Interesting but forum runner isn't showing font colors. Is tapatalk?

Sent using Forum Runner
  • KSR Twitter Feed