Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Cats Need to Seize Opportunity to Regroup

Anatomy of a Head coach

Sideline Demeanor

What do we see from Mark Stoops on the sidelines? Various coaches exhibit varying sideline demeanors. Some head coaches are reserve on the sideline during the course of a game. And Stoop is for the most part controlled. Some fans like to see a fiery coach on the sideline. Stoops showed his fiery side on Thursday’s Mississippi State game. After the splitting-hairs offside call on the on-sides kick recovered by the Cats, Stoops went ballistic on the referees when the play was nullified. Some head coaches choose to let their assistant coaches’ direct things during the timeouts. Other head coaches seem to play it by ear and getting involved at select times.

Sideline Coaching

Not only does Stoops coach his players on the sideline but he coaches his coaches on the sideline. In the heat of the action during the MSU versus the University of Kentucky there appeared to be some intense exchanges between stoops and defensive coordinator D. J. Eliot. After the on-sides kick that completely surprised the Mississippi State Bulldogs Stoops was seen to approach special teams coach Bradley Dale Peveto in a sideline coaching moment. His good hands team had committed an egregious error nullifying the recovery of the kick. “It’s disappointing,” lamented Stoops, “Joe had a beautiful Kick and we had worked on it for a long time. We felt that then was the right time to use it.”

Jalen Whitlow and Red Shirts Quarterbacks

As the third down woes continue there are some that are now calling for the redshirt to be taken off Patrick Towles. There are many things to consider in such a move. 1) What the player wants? If you ask the player that question just about one-hundred percent of the time the player would say he wants to play; 2) Would you have made the move in the game for the benefit of one half?; Jalen Whitlow ankle was just a routine ankle sprain and not a high-ankle sprain that keeps you off the field from 3 to 6 weeks, Whitlow is expected to be full-go by Saturday; 3) It’s now apparent that Reece Phillips, nor Patrick Towles can rise to #1 this season; 3) Neal Brown and Stoops have constantly said they are going to put the players in the best situation to win; 4) Brown has said they have to run the ball with THIS team; this clearly favors Whitlow’s package. “Drop back passing isn’t our thing right now,” Stoops said. “We are just not built for that.”
    Comments 3 Comments
      ajp40505 -
      I love it that Mark Stoops wears his emotions on his sleeve and what I see more than anything when I watch him during a game is frustration.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by ajp40505 View Post
      I love it that Mark Stoops wears his emotions on his sleeve and what I see more than anything when I watch him during a game is frustration.
      I do, too.
      suncat05 -
      Yes, the frustration is clearly evident.
  • KSR Twitter Feed