Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• DeNesha Stallworth talks athleticism in the post, expectations and her future

By: ASHLEY SCOBY

If you have followed UK Hoops for the past couple years, it’s hard to imagine that last season was DeNesha Stallworth’s first on the court for the blue and white. She contributed so much and so often in that first year that it seemed like she had been in Lexington forever.

Prior to her breakout season last year, Stallworth sat out the 2011-12 season due to transfer rules, after spending two season with the California Golden Bears.
    Now, she’s a Cat through and through.

“I’m so glad I transferred here,” she said, as she represented Kentucky at SEC Media Days last week.

Stallworth not only made her mark at Kentucky – nine double-doubles and 438 total points in her first year – but has also made her mark within the Southeastern Conference. She was named first-team all-SEC last year by the coaches, and second-team all-SEC by the Associated Press. The SEC honor roll has also seen Stallworth’s name during her time at UK.

Other players have taken notice, too.

“Kentucky’s post players are some of the best in the country,” said Theresa Plaisance of LSU, who led the league in scoring last year. “They’re just so athletic and so hard to guard.”

Stallworth exemplifies that athleticism that has made Kentucky’s post presence a formidable one. True to Matthew Mitchell’s brand of basketball, Stallworth can run the court and play in open space.

“I don’t think there are many post players that can run with us,” she said. “I think that sets us over the edge and over the top. That’s kind of like our formula.”

That formula has worked: Kentucky has now gone to two straight Elite Eights (three in the past four years). The Cats receive much national attention for their guard play and defensive pressure. But their post presence has also been a huge part of their success, and is receiving more and more recognition. Stallworth was named to the preseason all-SEC team last week after her impressive first year in Lexington.

“That doesn’t add any pressure at all,” she said of her preseason awards. “I try not to think about those things and I just try to kind of zone them out. Nothing is accomplished right now until we have that national championship and those SEC championships.”

To reach those heights as a team, however, the Cats need another stellar year from their main post player. Mitchell is aware of that, and has been pushing Stallworth extra hard in practice, just to unleash the potential he knows she has.

“He kind of gets mad at me when I don’t shoot the ball,” Stallworth said. “I take that personal, and that means a lot to me knowing that he wants more out of me and just knowing that my teammates do too. I really take it to heart and I try to do well for them.”

Stallworth may not laud her own individual accomplishments: It’s national championship or bust for her. But after her time is over in Lexington, Stallworth is one player on this team who has the potential to play professionally.

Until then, however, she is just enjoying the present, and doing everything she can to solidify her mark on the UK Hoops program. Her senior year is really just the first step for the rest of her life.

“It’s exciting but at the same time, nerve-wracking because after this, it’s kind of like, ‘Man, after this, I’m a woman. I have to grow up and pay these bills. I don’t get these scholarship checks anymore,’” she said. “But it’s exciting and I can’t wait to take that next step in my life.”

For more stories like this one, including DeNesha Stallworth's Media Day interview, visit wildcathoops.com. Follow @WildcatHoops1 on Twitter for all your UK Hoops news.
    Comments 5 Comments
      Edward100 -
      Great post.
      Darrell KSR -
      Terrific stuff.

Ashley is heading wildcathoops.com, which focuses on the UK Hoops team specifically. If you have interest in the UK women's team, she will be providing first-rate, in-depth coverage there all year. Of course, enjoy her contributions here, too, but don't forget her elsewhere as well!
      pdb -
      Thanks. I appreciate the information about the UK Hoops team.
      Darrell KSR -
      DeNesha at SEC Media Days last week.

Attachment 2838
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      I didn't know that wildcathoops existed. It's on the favorites list now though. Great article today on there about Epps.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post