Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Q&A with Joe Dean

Question: How good do you expect Kentucky to be this year?
    Dean: “I have no idea because I don’t watch high school basketball and keep up with high school basketball. I know what I read and obviously the players Kentucky has brought in are highly rated and have a lot of hype. I just have to assume they are very talented. I have a lot of respect for John Calipari’s ability to recruit to Kentucky and evaluate talent and coach them up and prepare them for the next level. I really believe this Kentucky team will be much better than last year’s Kentucky team. The freshmen from what I hear about Randle and the Harrison twins are so strong that I have a feeling they will go back to the way they were when they brought in John Wall and Brandon Knight and Anthony Davis with new teams. I have a feeling this team will have incredible talent that can just walk right in and have an impact.
    “With all that said, I am going to pick Florida to win the league only because they are a veteran team with players who aren’t going to be intimidated by the hype and talent of the young Kentucky players. I think it will be two great games when they play each other. I think those two teams will battle for the SEC championship. Tennessee might have a chance. Talent-wise they have a chance to hang in there, but I don’t know if they can hang with Kentucky and Florida to win the league. It will be one of those three, but I am going to pick Florida. I like Florida in a close race over Kentucky to win the regular season championship. I was one of the five (who voted in the SEC preseason poll) to pick Florida. I picked Kentucky two, Tennesssee three and LSU four.”

Question: Did you vote for Kentucky freshman Julius Randle for SEC preseason player of the year?
    Dean: “I did not. I picked Wilie Cauley-Stein of Kentucky on my top five. I just don’t know anything about Julius Randle. I hear he is incredible and if he is, I will congratulate him like Anthony Davis. I would not have voted Anthony Davis when he came in. I haven’t seen and don’t know. Maybe other media more of a feel. But I like to pick kids that have been in the league and proven they can play in the league. I picked Jarnell Stokes of Tennessee as player of the year. I think he is a tremendous player, great team player, high character kid.”

Question: Why did you put Cauley-Stein in your top five picks?
    Dean: “I like his upside. I thought he really got better as the season went on. He is a 7-footer and when you see that guy was a successful receiver in football, that tells you the kind of athleticism he has. I like all the athletic attributes he has. He is long, he can shoot the ball facing (the basket), he is a shot blocker and I love his attitude. He is very coachable and team-oriented. I think he can be a leader on the team.”

Question: Will having more talent around him help him?
    Dean: “He will probably get lot a little bit in all the talent. I would compare him to Patrick Patterson on Calipari’s first team. An older guy who had been throught he wars that can kind of be the leader and player with experience who can talk to younger guys about what it will be like. I spent six years at Kentucky and you don’t understand the pressure that is there day in, day out when you are everybody’s biggest game. I don’t care how talented a freshman you are, you have no clue what that is like until you go through it. Go to Starkville, Athens and Gainesville and the crowds are sold out and all over you the minute you walk into the gym. To do that nine times (in the SEC) can be hard. That’s what they have to learn and Willie can be a leader.”

Question: What did you think of Alex Poythress last year?
    Dean: “I think we are going to find out what kind of competitor he is. He obviously is very talented, but last year to be quite frank regardless of how they played they didn’t have anybody they could sub in for him and sit him on the bench. Even though they were disappoitned with him and didn’t play as hard as he needed all the time ... I was at some practices with him when coach Cal was on him pretty hard. They had to play him. It won’t be that way this year. If he doesn’t go out and play and show leadership and toughness and play the way Coach Cal wants him to play, he will be over on the bench and will stay there this year. We will find out what type of competitor he is. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he will step up to the challenge and do the job. Lord knows he has all the God-given talent in the world. It’s just a matter of him mentally saying I am going to do it. Until he starts thinking, ‘I am the best player out here on this court,’ and playing like that, he will always maybe be considered an underachiever.”

Question: Could the UK atmosphere have overwhelmed him last year?
    Dean: “I don’t know. It could be. It is a brutal environment. He’s a nice kid, but to walk into that environment with 24,000 for Big Blue Madness, it can be overwhelming. I don’t think he was prepared for the intensity of the college game at Kentucky. There is a different level of intensity at Kentucky than there is other programs. He was not ready for it. He should be ready this year.”

Question: If he had played at another school last year and had the same numbers, would he have been criticized as much?
    Dean: “Absolutely not. Really if he is smart, he will realize that has been healthy for him. If he had gone to another program where he was considered the man and they were much more tolerant of his lackadaisical play or lack of intensity and had still allowed him to get away with it, it would have been a disservice to him as a player trying to get to the nextl level. At Kentucky, coach Calipari held him accountable every single day. I think that’s what that young man needs.”

Question: Is there any chance team chemistry could be an issue on a team so talented and deep?
    Dean: “As you analyze, this is John’s fifth year at Kentucky and every year has been the same — a brand new crop of freshmen that have had to lead the way talent-wise for Kentucky. What John has done in four years at Kentucky is unprecedented in college basketball. I have unbelievable respect for what he has done. There are very few people who could have done what he has done. Now this is his fifth year and the only difference is that he has more freshmen, more new players than before. He has nine new players. That’s a little different animal than what he’s used to with the other four teams where he could plug them right in and off he goes. I think he will have more of a challenge keeping these kids happy. But they have to keep him happy. The message has to be is that we are Kentucky, ranked in the top five, everybody’s biggest game, but we all benefit if we win and contend for the championship. If you buy into that message, you will be successful, we will be successful and everybody will win.”

Question: What do you make of Calipari adding in-state players Dominique Hawkins and Derek Willis to his freshman class?
    Dean: “It makes me nervous. When I was there, there was a train of thought with Kentucky high school players that if you were going to bring them to Kentucky, they had to be capable of starting at Kentucky at some point in their career. If they were not, then the fan base in Maysville, Paducah, Danville, Pikeville would be upset because they think those kids are the greatest thing in the world. I think there are two trains of thought. To me, I think it is a mistake to bring a Kentucky high school player to Kentucky if you don’t believe that he can be a major contributor to the program.”
    Comments 10 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      Question: What do you make of Calipari adding in-state players Dominique Hawkins and Derek Willis to his freshman class?
      Dean: “It makes me nervous. When I was there, there was a train of thought with Kentucky high school players that if you were going to bring them to Kentucky, they had to be capable of starting at Kentucky at some point in their career. If they were not, then the fan base in Maysville, Paducah, Danville, Pikeville would be upset because they think those kids are the greatest thing in the world. I think there are two trains of thought. To me, I think it is a mistake to bring a Kentucky high school player to Kentucky if you don’t believe that he can be a major contributor to the program

It was that way until Coach Calipari arrived along with his boatload of 5 star recruits. We all remember the calls and fans asking if "Reechjie" is gonna start tonight, but I believe those days are over
      kingcat -
      Appreciate all the hard work Larry. Amazing job you guys have done for us heading into this season.

As for Joe...He's one of the few basketball minds I have ever known that does not know the talent level of major high school recruits or even watch them play prior to college. I would have assumed every big college basketball fan in the country does.

It was obvious, but least he admits he's in the dark about a lot of things though.
      Padukacat -
      That's about like my moms answers...get that boy a computer!
      UKHistory -
      Great interview. Very old school. In a different era I agree 100% and think that his position is still reasonable.

But with the early evaluations of incoming freshmen in the one and done era that promotes early entry to the NBA (even sophomores and juniors) to be on top of your game you have to know how the incoming frosh will impact a team and a conference.
      cattails -
      Joe Dean is not an idiot, however he is one of the most uninformed media people out there. Has not even a clue what he is talking about because he has not done his homework. Sad but true he has no business in this field of work.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by cattails View Post
      Joe Dean is not an idiot, however he is one of the most uninformed media people out there. Has not even a clue what he is talking about because he has not done his homework. Sad but true he has no business in this field of work.
      He is full time athletics director, not a media person. He does basketball color analysis on the side. His job on tv is to explain what is occurring on the court. As former basketball player and coach he is eminently qualified.
      kingcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      He is full time athletics director, not a media person. He does basketball color analysis on the side. His job on tv is to explain what is occurring on the court. As former basketball player and coach he is eminently qualified.
      I give ya' that Mick...barely
      Thedonnie123 -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      If he can't fully prepare for the job, he shouldn't have it. Give it to someone who knows what they're talking about.
      CitizenBBN -
      He knows basketball, but in this case "old school" is a euphemism for not keeping up with the modern nature of the game. If the preseason vote is a measure of how players will perform over the course of the season but you automatically exclude incoming frosh from your POY and first team in this era of early entry and oft dominant freshman players, you don't need to have a ballot. You're applying an arbitrary rule like refusing to vote for a guard under 6' tall no matter how he's played.

I have NO idea what he's talking about regarding not recruiting Ky kids unless they can star, but it does explain the inexplicable decisions of prior UK coaches to not build roster depth with quality Kentucky players. Did it cause death and famine and plague that people called asking if Richie would play? Why would a coach give a frak if some small percentage of albeit vocal fans wanted more time for a Kentucky kid and he periodically even had to take a call about it?

Seriously, having some fans rooting for a bench guy to play is reason to NOT recruit the kid? What kind of messed up strategy is that for player evaluation? Sure we want to see the local kids do great, but it's not like we're sending in death threats if they don't start and get 30 minutes a game. Like fans won't constantly debate who starts and plays no matter where they were born.

I don't get that at all, but now I know why UK coaches have had to have guns put to their heads to take players like Pel and Epps. Thank Goodness Cal is strong enough and has a pair and doesn't worry about such nonsense. Taking Kentucky kids who want to play at UK has some tangible benefits, glad Cal doesn't pass on them b/c he's afraid of a call in show caller asking why someone doesn't play more.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Thedonnie123 View Post
      If he can't fully prepare for the job, he shouldn't have it. Give it to someone who knows what they're talking about.
      He shouldn't have a ballot based on his artificially limited approach to voting, but honestly with all the football heads who get one for this thing and know even less about the game makes me think his votes even with its oddities is better than the guy who asked if Alex could play tight end if basketball didn't work out for him.

It's great to be old school and vote for experience and such, and if all the best talent didn't leave after 1 or 2 years it might actually be predictive and useful too. As the rules stand today it's like listening to your mother telling you to wear galoshes b/c there's a chance it may rain. Cute, not terribly useful.
  • KSR Twitter Feed