PDA

View Full Version : Will your automobile be hacked today?

dan_bgblue
06-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Linkage (http://autos.aol.com/article/the-scary-truth-of-how-terrorists-could-crash-your-car/?&ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000058)

"Can some 14-year-old in Indonesia shut a bunch of cars down because everything is wired up?" That's the question U.S. Senator Jay Rockefeller posed to a panel of automotive experts during a Senate Commerce Committee hearing last month.

The short answer is yes. Researchers from the University of Washington and University of California-San Diego hacked into an ordinary, mid-priced, late-model sedan available to any consumer. They unlocked car doors, eavesdropped on conversations, turned the engine on and off and compromised critical vehicle systems.

In a follow-up experiment, the researchers, affiliated with the Center for Automotive Embedded Systems Security, breached all sorts of security measures, uploading malware from a doctored CD and obtaining "full control" over the sedan's telematics unit by calling the car's cell phone, according to their research.

They also compromised a Pass-Thru device, which helps auto technicians diagnose problems, which allowed them to subsequently connect to every car that later was plugged into that device. This was particularly troublesome, because it meant hackers could infiltrate more than one car from a single entry point.

"We demonstrate the ability to adversarially control a wide range of automotive functions and completely ignore driver input –- including disabling the brakes, selectively braking individual wheels on demand, stopping the engine, and so on," the CAESS researchers wrote.

Another daunting conclusion that presents complications for crash investigators: The researchers successfully attacked the car's telematics unit in a way that "will completely erase any evidence of its presence after a crash."

Since the studies were completed, in 2010 and 2011, much has changed, and not necessarily for the better.

Looking better every day

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/data/506/medium/chevelle06_001.jpg

CitizenBBN
06-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Wow, very interesting.

Darrell KSR
06-18-2013, 07:30 PM
What precautions should I take for my 1992 Volvo?

jazyd
06-18-2013, 10:29 PM
Keep a horse handy

QUOTE=Darrell KSR;93068]What precautions should I take for my 1992 Volvo?[/QUOTE]

KSRBEvans
06-19-2013, 11:56 AM
Reminds me of Battlestar Galactica (rebooted version). Keep your vehicle off the grid.

Darrell KSR
06-19-2013, 12:44 PM
Keep a horse handy

QUOTE=Darrell KSR;93068]What precautions should I take for my 1992 Volvo?[/QUOTE]
Basically what my mechanic said today.

Darrell KSR
06-21-2013, 10:32 AM
Picked up my Volvo from the mechanic today. He addressed issues with the air conditioner, the fan, the throttle, the idle system, the downshift something, the rear power window and a couple of other things.

The bill? $127.40. And that included 2.5 qts of transmission fluid and some additive.

He told me, Darrell I wish your car didn't work as good as it is running. It should be smoking, rattling, and all kind of things, but it isn't.

Unfortunately, I said bye bye to the air conditioner, since the a/c compressor was toast and I'm simply not going to put more money into the car than it is worth. At 127.40, it was a wash.

CitizenBBN
06-21-2013, 04:32 PM
did he double check to make sure it didn't transform into a Decepticon or was under Chinese control?