PDA

View Full Version : Sigh...so now it's my "at home" computer with dismally slow speed

Darrell KSR
06-14-2013, 10:15 AM
Just ran a "speed test" (has to be a joke, at my "speeds") and arrived at 0.13mpbs download speed.

Called AT&T yesterday, and they admitted their DSL service was being phased out, and that the U-verse work in my neighborhood affected the DSL service.

Absolutely ridiculous. I spend between 20-60% of my "work week" at my home office, depending on the week, and I've been fine with the 6.0mpbs service (which is usually close to that). But at this speed, I can barely check email. Something is going on, though, as I rebooted, and the little icon at the bottom showed Speed: 5.5 mpbs (pretty normal), and then blinked, and went to 1.0 mpbs, where it has been staying. Almost like it's being forced to do that.

Phone is 4.2mpbs speedtest, 960kb upload at the same time. Something wrong with this picture. At least I can find something if I need to on the phone, but man, it's like the cosmic energy is against me or something.

BigBlueBrock
06-16-2013, 08:17 AM
Might want to see if they can dispatch a tech just to check the lines. I was having dips in speed at my apartment and Time Warner sent a guy out (without me even having to call, they noticed the service loss via monitoring) and the coax at the demarc was kinked. He cut and re-crimped it and I'm back to my usual speed (20 down, 2 up) consistently.

Darrell KSR
06-16-2013, 01:11 PM
I'm not a conspiracy theorist ordinarily, but I have to wonder if this isn't a way just to force everybody to change.