PDA

View Full Version : Yikes. Throttled "Stinks"

Darrell KSR
06-13-2013, 07:33 AM
I guess I have never gone over the little 5gb plan I have before, and didn't really know what it meant to be throttled.

What it means is simple....useless.

Just did a Speedtest. My very slow DSL wireless on the phone is 6 mpbs download, 700kb up.

But my formerly 4g that was faster?

64kb download, 74kb up.

That's ridiculous. Renders it useless.

Gotta go get this fixed today.

Forum Runner Phone Post.

dethbylt
06-13-2013, 08:23 AM
I guess I have never gone over the little 5gb plan I have before, and didn't really know what it meant to be throttled.

What it means is simple....useless.

Just did a Speedtest. My very slow DSL wireless on the phone is 6 mpbs download, 700kb up.

But my formerly 4g that was faster?

64kb download, 74kb up.

That's ridiculous. Renders it useless.

Gotta go get this fixed today.

Forum Runner Phone Post.

Haha! AT&T does the exact opposite on my 2GB plan. Once I get to within a few MB of my limit, they start texting me with great offers on extended data plans. And, I swear, it seems that my sppeds increase when I go over the limit. I probably should test the speeds before and after surpassing my data limit, I just don't want to spend $10 in the name of scientific certainty. :winking0011:

CitizenBBN
06-13-2013, 09:45 AM
That speed is definitely useless. I have my original plan with unlimited data. No way I drop it, they don't sell it anymore.

Darrell KSR
06-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Well, I'm an idiot (2nd different thread I've said that in today.) I have the "unlimited" plan, too. Except unlimited doesn't mean the same thing I thought it meant.

To me, it means, "I can use it til I drop."
To them it means, it's unlimited--but we will slow you down after you reach 5gb.

I haven't had time to go in to get my phone this week, and may not today, but I'm really going to talk to somebody.

I've never seen anything this slow. It is truly useless. I would love it if they offered something, even temporary, to purchase. My plan goes through the 20th, so I have a week of virtually useless, inaccessible data. I cannot have that.

CitizenBBN
06-13-2013, 02:25 PM
I think you definitely need to cut loose on them for that. Reminds me of the lyric in the Clash song: You have the right to free speech, as long as you're not dumb enough to actually try it.

Mine was when they first issued them and for all I know they "changed the terms" without mentioning it to me with much clarity. I don't download much but with my new phone this much faster I may be doing more. I agree, that is totally unacceptable and definitely not "unlimited".

BigBlueBrock
06-13-2013, 04:13 PM
US telecoms bend their customers over and there's presently dick that we (citizens) can do about it. Collusion and corporate oligopolies abound!

BigBlueBrock
06-13-2013, 04:40 PM
I think you definitely need to cut loose on them for that.

It's a waste of breath. Sprint and T-Mobile offer "unlimited" data plans, but they throttle. Verizon and AT&T don't throttle, but they start taking arms and legs once you reach your data cap. Hell, AT&T and VZW still charge $20/mo for unlimited texts, a service which LITERALLY costs them nothing (MMS messages are a different story). They constantly make policy and pricing changes whic DO NOT benefit the consumer, but because there's no real competition, they just sit back and laugh if you complain.

Darrell KSR
06-13-2013, 04:43 PM
It's a waste of breath. Sprint and T-Mobile offer "unlimited" data plans, but they throttle. Verizon and AT&T don't throttle, but they start taking arms and legs once you reach your data cap. Hell, AT&T and VZW still charge $20/mo for unlimited texts, a service which LITERALLY costs them nothing (MMS messages are a different story). They constantly make policy and pricing changes whic DO NOT benefit the consumer, but because there's no real competition, they just sit back and laugh if you complain.

As of an hour ago, I have unlimited data plan, no throttle, and $25 less per month than I was paying before the phone call.

That worked well :).

CitizenBBN
06-13-2013, 05:21 PM
It's a waste of breath.

He beat me to it, but I would have posted it anyway: Never, ever underestimate Darrell. In principle I agree with you, and despise big business nearly as much as big government, and for most it would be a waste, but Darell is uniquely capable in these sorts of situations. Don't ask me how, a unique combination of smarts and persuasion, but he can get blood from a turnip even within big company structures and governmental entities. Heck, half the time rental car companies are effectively paying him to drive their cars.

They look at me either like I'm speaking Klingon or as if they are calculating how long it will take the police to get there and haul me off, but whatever Darrell does is like how Larry can get every hot 19 year old in the room to take a picture with him in a big hug. I keep hoping one or the other will rub off.

BigBlueBrock
06-13-2013, 06:15 PM
As of an hour ago, I have unlimited data plan, no throttle, and $25 less per month than I was paying before the phone call.

That worked well :).

Impressive. I need you to come with me later this year when I try to figure out what to do with my phone plan...

Darrell KSR
06-13-2013, 06:24 PM
I'd like to take credit, but I think it was just a case of them offering a better plan ianybody can ask for. Promise, no magic this time. I'm glad to have it any way I could get it.

Forum Runner Phone Post.