PDA

View Full Version : An iPod Story

Darrell KSR
06-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Son left his iPod in his pants pocket.

Wife picked up pants and tossed in washing machine. Completed wash cycle. Put laundry load in dryer. During load--and our washer/dryer is in our garage, so sometimes you can't hear things right away--she heard a "ka-thump, ka-thump" noise.

Of course, it was the iPod bouncing back and forth in the drum.

She removed it--didn't have to worry about turning it off, as it was apparently off at that point--and toweled it dry, then stuck it in a dish with rice.

Left it for 7 days.

Son picked it out of the rice, turned it on, perfect.

He said that he leaves his iPod turned on, and never turns it off--and that there was "no way" the batter was dead at the time she picked it up, because he had just charged it.

Hopefully it will continue to be good, but so far, so good.

CitizenBBN
06-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Rice is amazing stuff. I prefer it with a little butter and salt as opposed to consumer electronics though.

Darrell KSR
06-13-2013, 07:34 AM
I'm sure there was a better way of handling it, but it worked.

Forum Runner Phone Post.

dethbylt
06-13-2013, 08:31 AM
My young'uns ipod touch 4th gen has been at his side reliably for two years now. Last year, during a tornado warning, we piled up in the bathroom. The Mrs and the young'un put a sleeping bag in the tub and watched a movie on it. After the weather had passed (3 AM or so), we all went to bed. When I got up for work the next day, I was dragging a$$ due to lack of sleep. I saw the sleeping bag in the tub and needed to shower. I grabbed it and flung it out into the hallway. The ipod had been left in it... the only body of water within 100 feet of the tub was the open toilet. SPLASH.

We riced the ipod as well. Zero ill effects and still chugging along a year later. I have always heard it was the best way to dry an electrical component, short of saving all the desicant packages from new shoes and the like.

CitizenBBN
06-13-2013, 09:46 AM
I'm sure there was a better way of handling it, but it worked.

Forum Runner Phone Post.

If there is I don't know about it. I've heard a number of success stories using rice to wick out moisture from electronics.

PedroDaGr8
06-13-2013, 12:56 PM
If there is I don't know about it. I've heard a number of success stories using rice to wick out moisture from electronics.

Completely agree, there may be a few things like the desiccant materials I have in the lab, but with those then I have to clean cobalt powder off my electronics. I actually used the rice method a few months back. Went to take a shower, phone was in my pocket, as I folded my clothes up phone somehow got flung out of the pocket and right submerged right in the water. I grabbed it immediately (it was on mind you), the screen starts flickering, I try to turn it off but can't since I can't pull the battery quickly. By the time I get the battery pulled the screen no longer even turns on, its getting crazy hot and the vibrate motor is running non-stop. My thoughts are oh **** its dead. I took it entirely apart, blew out all the water I could and threw it in a bag of rice for 2 days. Put it back together. It turns on and has worked perfectly since!

Darrell KSR
06-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Glad to hear all the other stories on it, too. Maybe next time one of my kids does it they won't just throw the thing away.

Now if somebody could do something about my daughter who has had 4 car accidents in the last 2 years...

Forum Runner Phone Post.