PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Night Road Blocks set up to take Mouth Swabs and Breath Samples

MickintheHam
06-11-2013, 09:55 AM
You Federal Government is at work, setting up night time road blocks for samples. It's ok the mouth swabs are not DNA samples and it is all voluntary. You even get paid. No the off duty cops are not there to scare you or coerce you into giving up your fluids. They are there to keep you safe. It all looks ok to me!!!

http://blog.al.com/east-alabama/2013/06/feds_state_officials_comment_o.html

suncat05
06-11-2013, 10:17 AM
I just do not like the tone of this one bit.
This is something that could easily be done in another setting with proper public notice and some advertising to bring in prospective "clients". Not at all sure that I agree with the use of a road block for anything like this, at all. Roadblocks should only be used in the interest of public safety. Period. Not for "data mining". And yeah, participation in this manner might be considered "voluntary", but then again too how many people that are out on the roadways that are confronted with this fully understand their Constitutional rights and that they do have the right to say "No!" when approached in this manner. And what about all of the other information that will be asked for within the context of this contact, and where is that information all going to? And to whom, and for how long will it be kept? And if said information is going to be disposed of, in what manner is that going to happen?
No, I am not comfortable with this situation in the least bit. Just more unnecessary government intrusion into people's lives, and for what real reason?

MickintheHam
06-11-2013, 11:37 AM
These are all on federal hghwys, in rural areas, mostly late in the evening or nighttime hours. I am sure no one would be frightened by it.

suncat05
06-11-2013, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I am sure that IF I had reason to be out and about at some late hour and was travelling a secondary road and drove up on the aforementioned situation that I'd have no problem with it..............sure officer, I'll let you swab my gums and let you take a few drops of blood...........yeah, sure, go ahead and just take what few remaining civil liberties I have left...........

CitizenBBN
06-11-2013, 02:47 PM
These are all on federal hghwys, in rural areas, mostly late in the evening or nighttime hours. I am sure no one would be frightened by it.

Yep, and i doubt they beat the "voluntary" part too hard either.

If they do their study is too skewed to be useful. They need an unbiased sample to provide data. If it was clear it was voluntary people w any potential issue would tend to not cooperate.

MickintheHam
06-11-2013, 04:10 PM
It's pure BS. Wasted Federal funds.

MickintheHam
06-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Here is one woman's experience at the roadblock.

http://blog.al.com/east-alabama/2013/06/pell_city_woman_talks_about_pa.html#incart_river_d efault

jazyd
06-11-2013, 10:04 PM
I wonder what they would do if isaid Obama is an ass and could kiss my ass. :)

CitizenBBN
06-11-2013, 10:22 PM
I wonder what they would do if isaid Obama is an ass and could kiss my ass. :)

I think you should try it. Can I have your stereo? :)

CitizenBBN
06-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Here is one woman's experience at the roadblock.

http://blog.al.com/east-alabama/2013/06/pell_city_woman_talks_about_pa.html#incart_river_d efault

"I tend to do what an officer tells me to do," she said. "I wasn't too comfortable with it. I had a minor in the car. But the officer told me it was just a safety survey, so I said, 'OK, fine, whatever.' I don't like to blow smoke up the dragon's nostrils."

This. It's late at night, an officer of the law flags you over and asks if you want to take this survey, and apparently don't emphasize too hard that you don't have to do it. Of course you get compliance, we're all wired to obey the instructions of a law officer acting in an obviously official capacity. Imagine how much money you could make if you could hire them to ask people to voluntarily step into your restaurant or buy something.

suncat05
06-12-2013, 07:34 AM
Like I said........I am not comfortable with what was done, and especially with the manner in which it was done. And as previously stated, most people don't regally know their rights and don't know that you can just refuse to participate.
If it's a genuine DUI checkpoint they won't be asking you to participate in any damn survey. Period. So........what are they doing with all of that personal information that they're harvesting?

Just another example of WHY we should not trust the federal government.

jazyd
06-12-2013, 10:06 PM
Lol, hope I get to try it. If it is not recorded I bet they will wink and agree with me, especially in miss

QUOTE=CitizenBBN;92074]I think you should try it. Can I have your stereo? :)[/QUOTE]

jazyd
06-12-2013, 10:45 PM
Lol, hope I get to try it. If it is not recorded I bet they will wink and agree with me, especially in miss

QUOTE=CitizenBBN;92074]I think you should try it. Can I have your stereo? :)[/QUOTE]