PDA

View Full Version : Tough day today

Doc
06-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Been a long one for sure. My dad, long time UL fan but still a good guy, had open heart surgery today. Double by pass and a new valve. Wasn't emergency as it was scheduled a week ago but still tough on a 71 year old who had a heart attack 32 years ago. He is done well all things considered. He is stable and talking, sort of.

Hopefully I'll be able to get home tomorrow. Some question due to tropical storm Andrea. That should be out of FL (where I'm headed) but sitting over Charlotte (which is where I'm at now)

bigsky
06-06-2013, 07:34 PM
I hope all is better, the surgery works, and you have many more years with your Dad.

blueboss
06-06-2013, 07:38 PM
Best wishes, thoughts, and prayers.

CitizenBBN
06-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Glad it went well Doc. If they're hoping to send him home tomorrow that has to be a great sign. May you spend many more years chiding each other over basketball.

dan_bgblue
06-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Best wishes to you and your Dad. Went thru a 5 bypass situation with my Mom years ago that was not planned. There were many happy years after that with Mom. I hope the some for you.

And good luck with the weather as well.

jazyd
06-06-2013, 11:20 PM
Hope all is well Doc. My 88 yr old dad is having open heart surgery to replace a valve in 2 weeks, I will head to St Louis 3 days prior

Doc
06-07-2013, 05:16 AM
Skip, is he have his chest opened or are they going thru a vein? New technique to replace valves that is minimally invasive where the go thru leg or shoulder. My dad considered that but was not bad enough to have it done in the USA. Was considering going to Europe for it bit them they realized he needed bypass as well.

My dad looks bad but better than everyone else in the unit.

badrose
06-07-2013, 05:56 AM
I'll be thinking about your dad today, Doc. Positive thoughts...

ukcatlvr
06-07-2013, 07:40 AM
I hope all goes well with your Dad and you get home safe.

blue2ksr
06-07-2013, 08:51 AM
Doc, I wish many, many more years for you to enjoy your Dad!

Also, don't give up on trying to convert him over to the Blue side, lol.

suncat05
06-07-2013, 09:17 AM
Hang tough Doc! Prayers offered up for him, and the rest of your family as well!

jazyd
06-07-2013, 09:45 AM
Ron, my dad was going the new way until he had a minor stroke 3 weeks ago which meant he would have to wait a min of 6 months to go the new route and he doesn't have that much time to wait so it is open heart. Like your dad he wasn't bad enough for the new route until he started getting much worse this spring. Seems to me if they have a new procedure that was tested in some of the best hospitals in the country and has shown great success then why should a person have to be "bad" enough to have it.

One of the side effects f the new procedure is strokes which is why my dad can't have the new one now but he would have been fine last fall for it but wasn't bad enough.

I am really glad your dad did well and is better, heck of a Father's Day present

Keep us informed how he is doing.

QUOTE=Doc;91246]Skip, is he have his chest opened or are they going thru a vein? New technique to replace valves that is minimally invasive where the go thru leg or shoulder. My dad considered that but was not bad enough to have it done in the USA. Was considering going to Europe for it bit them they realized he needed bypass as well.

My dad looks bad but better than everyone else in the unit.[/QUOTE]

CGWildcat
06-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Many thoughts and prayers for you and your dad Doc.

Darrell KSR
06-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Thoughts and prayers for both your Dads, guys.

Doc
06-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Left the hosp about an hour ago. Doing well, better than expected. Sitting in a chair and having conversations. I'm at airport heading home now so that shows how well he is doing.

Doc
06-07-2013, 11:34 AM
I'll be thinking about your dad today, Doc. Positive thoughts...

Did you ever meeet my dad? Don't recall if he was at any of our get togethers

CitizenBBN
06-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Left the hosp about an hour ago. Doing well, better than expected. Sitting in a chair and having conversations. I'm at airport heading home now so that shows how well he is doing.

Great to hear Doc.

Doc
06-07-2013, 09:38 PM
He is actually up walking this afternoon. Might only be a few steps but after seeing him last night when he looked like a corpse, its amazing.

He has lots of incentive to rehab though. He is suppose to go to Hawaii on July 10 and the Dr say that is a reasonable target. Then they are off to Africa in October. Lots of things he wants to do. Realistically doing the rehab is the hardest part. His mother died following a similar procedure due to her just not rehabbing correctly and formed pulmonary edema. I used that a few times to motivate him and its worked well.

Appreciate the thoughts and concerns.

jazyd
06-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Glad to hear Ron

truecatsfan
06-08-2013, 09:02 AM
Hope and pray that everything works out for your dad Doc.

BigBluePappy
06-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Good to hear the great news about your dad, Doc.
Here's to many more years with him ahead!

ShoesSwayedBlue
06-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Wow, just saw this. I'm so glad for you that he's doing well. My Dad had emergency open heart surgery six years ago [at 74]. My uncle called me to tell me he was going into surgery and I got there after he got out of the operating room. I was cool as a cucumber walking in but once I saw him with all those tubes stuck in him I let go pretty bad. He's a tough dude though, as your father obviously is as well. He's recovered wonderfully and I'm sure your Dad will too.

badrose
06-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Did you ever meeet my dad? Don't recall if he was at any of our get togethers

I think he was there when we watched the Louisville game. '11 I think.

MickintheHam
06-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Doc, I hope your dad continues to improve. Best wishes to your family.