PDA

View Full Version : Awards for Max Smith, Landon Foster

CitizenBBN
09-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Max Smith earned a “helmet sticker” from ESPN.com, was named Southeastern Conference Offensive Player of the Week by SouthernPigskin.com and Honorable Mention Quarterback of the Week by the College Football Performance Awards.

Foster, a native Franklin, Tenn., was named Honorable Mention Punter of the Week by the College Football Performance Awards for the second consecutive week.

Smith was 30-of-39 passes for a career-high 354 yards and four touchdowns. The four touchdown passes were the most for a UK player since Mike Hartline had four against Georgia in 2010. Smith’s 354 passing yards were also the most since Andre’ Woodson had 430 against Tennessee in 2007. Smith connected with 10 different receivers in the win, including four different receivers who caught touchdown passes.

For the season, Smith is 65-of-89 for 634 yards and six touchdowns. The sophomore ranks seventh in the SEC and 32nd nationally in passing efficiency at 155.12 rating points and second in the SEC and 24th nationally in total offense at 313.5 yards per game. As a team, Kentucky is 18th nationally and third in the conference in pass offense and 29th in the nation and fifth in the SEC in passing efficiency.

Catfan73
09-09-2012, 08:38 PM
We can never seem to get good years out of both the offense and defense at the same time though. Who woulda thunk it would be the offense to shine this year after it stunk so bad last year?

dan_bgblue
09-09-2012, 08:46 PM
We can never seem to get good years out of both the offense and defense at the same time though

That has certainly been the case for several years. The defense is not dead yet, so I hold out hope for improvement. Injection of some new blood last night brought a glimmer of hope for the patient.

Catfan73
09-10-2012, 08:54 AM
Certainly agree with that Dan. I'm just hoping Joker lets Rick Minter fully implement his defense the way he wants. It sure wasn't working playing conservatively the first game and a half.

Badinage
09-10-2012, 11:34 AM
I thought Max Smith was not an SEC caliber QB, JazyC? How can he get a sticker?

Jimcats
09-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Hey, Maxwell Smith has surprised many of us! I hoped he or a frosh would be our starter at QB this year, but even so, his cool and precision passing have greatly exceeded my expectations.

Darrell KSR
09-11-2012, 09:11 PM
I was listening to WJOX Radio this afternoon, and one of the hosts was grading the SEC quarterbacks.

Maxwell Smith got an "A." For a Kentucky player to get respect here in Birmingham says a lot. Hope he continues that, and our defense steps up a little.

Badinage
09-12-2012, 12:06 PM
I wonder which SEC coach slammed Maxwell in the anonymous comments that were posted this summer?