PDA

View Full Version : Gun/Ammo question

CGWildcat
06-04-2013, 10:53 PM
I have a .357 Sig. Can I shoot magnum rounds and/or 38 rounds out of it?

CitizenBBN
06-05-2013, 12:11 AM
Now where did you pick up a 357 Sig? ;)

Magnum as in 357 Mag? Short answer is no. The 357 Sig got the "357" from the fact they were trying to replicate 357 Mag performance in a rimless cartridge that would feed in a semi-auto. In fact the 357 Sig is a necked down 40S&W cartridge, so it has a 40 S&W case dimension in the body but the bullet itself is more narrow.

So it really has no relation to the 357/38 Spl. family. It's more in the family of the 40S&W and 10mm. It's an excellent round, that has very effectively duplicated the 357's effectiveness, but with a little less recoil and excellent accuracy. It has the stopping power of a 357 in a semi auto platform.

it's also amazingly reliable to feed b/c of the necked design. You get a lot of power in the round for the size too, characteristics it shares with the Tokarev round. It does have all the flash of the 357, which some see as a negative, but I see as a positive. I love the 357 round. I want it loud and intimidating. I also think there's a case for hydrostatic shock at some level, and 357 achieves it.

Though not as widely used as the 40S&W IMO it's a better round. RK Campbell compares it to the 38 Super but as a lighter and more reliable auto cartridge, and he's about close to gospel. It's not quite the match of the 357 Magnum in every case, but it's by far the most reliable semi auto round to come that close.

PS The Tokarev is a great round too, and like many of the Soviet designs was ahead of its time, showing many of the benefits of the 357 Sig but nearly 100 years sooner. I'm not sure why necked pistol cartridges aren't more popular b/c 99% of rifle cartridges take advantage of the design. They don't make much sense in a revolver but semi autos have been around for 100 years and the 357 Sig is the first significantly adopted pistol round other than the TOkarev to be necked like a rifle round. Others have tried but didn't catch on.

CGWildcat
06-05-2013, 12:14 AM
So I want to look for a plain 357 round or a 40S&W?

CitizenBBN
06-05-2013, 12:26 AM
The round is "357 Sig", and that's the only round that will work in it. Non-Sig guns are chambered for it, but the caliber carries the Sig name as they designed it. I have a Glock that came in that's been converted to 357 Sig for example.

Cheaperthandirt has some in stock: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemListing.aspx?catid=641

It's not a cheap round, $1 per, but the cheapest 9mm, like TulAmmo (Russian) is running $0.80 per, and 40S&W is running $0.70 and higher end 9mm is $1 per right now so it's not all that much higher. I've been getting .70-.80 for 9mm loose factory rounds in this area. Heck I'm getting that for Bear right now so $1 per in this market isn't too bad. Like every other caliber, it's crazy high right now. One of my distributors called 2 months ago about something else and told me they wouldn't have ammo in stock for front line dealers for a year or more.

BTW I saw that Cali is sending up a bill to require licenses and background checks for ammo purchases, as well as banning sale of new rifles with removable mags that can be bigger than 10 rounds, so about anything detachable. If there's anything like that you want you may want to look around. If you want an AK or SKS or Ruger 10/22 I'm your guy btw.

CitizenBBN
06-05-2013, 12:33 AM
Here's a pic comparing some of the relevant rounds:

You can see that necking down on it that's unique among those rounds.

FWIW it's getting more and more popular, which is good news long term for ammo prices. Right now people are hoarding everything, and I mean everything, so it's all tough to get.

suncat05
06-05-2013, 10:07 AM
I have a Sig P229 in .40 S&W. I love it. I have never even handled a 357 Sig, although I keep hearing about them. And I know from the Sig manual that came with mine that all I need to do to convert mine over to 357 Sig is change the barrel over, and that's it. The magazines that came with the gun also will hold the 357 Sig ammunition. And the barrels are not too awfully expensive, so it's basically a two caliber gun.

I think I've seen a couple of 357 Sign's at a Shoot Straight over in Ft. Myers and the Lotus Gunworks Shop in Jensen Beach, but I've not laid hands on one.

CitizenBBN
06-05-2013, 11:09 AM
I have a Sig P229 in .40 S&W. I love it. I have never even handled a 357 Sig, although I keep hearing about them. And I know from the Sig manual that came with mine that all I need to do to convert mine over to 357 Sig is change the barrel over, and that's it. The magazines that came with the gun also will hold the 357 Sig ammunition. And the barrels are not too awfully expensive, so it's basically a two caliber gun.

I think I've seen a couple of 357 Sign's at a Shoot Straight over in Ft. Myers and the Lotus Gunworks Shop in Jensen Beach, but I've not laid hands on one.

Good to know you were told that re the sig mags. Pretty sure the glock only requires a barrel change as well to convert from 40 to 357 sig. Makes sense, the rounds are so close in dimensions other than the necking.

CGWildcat
06-05-2013, 12:26 PM
THanks guys. 357 Sig rounds are VERY difficult around here in the Repulick of Kuhlufornya