PDA

View Full Version : Direct TV Questions

KMSBball
06-03-2013, 07:18 PM
I'm considering switching from cable to Direct TV. My current cable company has been bought by Time Warner so I thought this might be a good time to switch.

I'm interested in any input you guys want to share about your experiences with Time Warner & Direct TV. I will get the best sports package available from either source. Just wondering if getting UK games is an issue.

Opinions anyone?

KSRBEvans
06-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Right with you, KMS. I cut my cable during the summer months but will return to something come football season. Going to look at Direct TV as one of the options.

jazyd
06-03-2013, 08:30 PM
I really like it and have had it for 9 yrs. during a heavy downpour I will lose service for a bit but that is it. No problems getting Ky games

jazyd
06-03-2013, 08:31 PM
One other thing I did take the service agreement for $6 a month, saved me twice

blueboss
06-03-2013, 08:53 PM
I love Direct TV but when it storms whether it be rain, snow, hail forget about it which I believe is common with all dish services. As far as Ky basketball with their FOX sports x-tra package ($12.00 additionally/mnth) I've never missed a game in the last six or seven years. I fired Dish about eight or nine years ago over a service issue and have not looked back, and I refuse to play the cable game.

Direct throws me a bone from time to time with free premium channels for six months or they throw me some free movies for being a loyal customer as well as free upgrades. Every once in a while I'll call and ask for free stuff and they usually oblige. It's not much but at least it's something, all you have do is ask. The service the few times I've needed them was prompt and professional solving the problem the first time. I'm getting ready to ask for the Jeannie upgrade and see what kind of deal they'll give me.

FWIW I'm a happy Direct subscriber, and I've got an analog TV in the basement for weather concerns when it gets soupy outside. The few times I've had interruption during a basketball game I find a live stream on line and plug my laptop into my TV until the heavy stuff blows through. I also like being able to access my DVR from other devices from anywhere to record programs if I've forgotten something or if something pops up that needs recording.

KMSBball
06-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the input. Interruptions during bad weather are a major concern for my wife. The Direct TV guy at Best Buy claims they have a new satellite so interruptions don't happen. Not sure I buy that.

jazyd
06-03-2013, 10:24 PM
I don't buy it either

Thanks for the input. Interruptions during bad weather are a major concern for my wife. The Direct TV guy at Best Buy claims they have a new satellite so interruptions don't happen. Not sure I buy that.

KSRBEvans
06-04-2013, 09:32 AM
Besides weather, my main concern is attaching an antenna to my roof and the wiring they'll be doing. Anyone have an problems with that?

CGWildcat
06-04-2013, 10:15 AM
Had Direct TV for the better part of 10-11 years. Storms do affect coverage but only when its bad. Regular shower hasn't really affected mine to notice. Moved with them twice also in that time. Never an issue. Once I paid attention to the Fox coverage for an extra 6 bucks a month I've hardly missed ANY UK game that was televised, and that's living in Connecticut & California.

Good customer service for the most part. Seems the times I've had to call I get a tech with a southern accent that is very accomodating. Walks me thru any step I need to do. Plus their ipad/mobile app allows me to watch shows when I'm away. ALSO if I know someone is home watching, I can change the channel on them from my ipad. :)

suncat05
06-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Besides weather, my main concern is attaching an antenna to my roof and the wiring they'll be doing. Anyone have an problems with that?

They will generally try to make it as painless as possible. Wherever they may have to drill holes and mount brackets and run wires they will, but the appearance will be fine, and none of their work will interfere with anything.
Now, if there is some very heavy inclement weather or very dense cloud cover you will lose your signal. The signal from the satellite to the dish is straight line, or "line of sight" from wherever the satellite is in the sky, but the signal most likely won't be out long. And truthfully, for me anyway, the temporary loss of signal is the only complaint that I can give you about DIRECTV.
I think you'll probably like DIRECTV, once you figure out how to work with the program guide and decide what packages you will want. And by the way, the Sports Package is very good, depending on what you like, but if you're a football/basketball fan like me then the few extra bucks it costs will be well worth it.

BigBluePappy
06-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Just switched to AT&T U-Verse from Insight (Time Warner) and I love it.
Don't know about Direct TV.