PDA

View Full Version : More camera questions

CGWildcat
05-31-2013, 08:43 PM
I've recently read up on the "mirrorless" cameras. I think they're otherwise known as Micro 43s. So now I'm a bit torn. Can I get the shots I want with a Micro and some of their lenses? They are pretty small and much easier to carry around. I'm in no means to the level of our very own Badrose, I'm just starting out in this endeavor and its all for fun.

I want to take some animal action shots (dogs running, hummingbirds, etc.) Plus the big landscapes, Golden Gate Bridge, country scenes, Pacific coast, etc. and occasional small little bug. Video is not that big of deal to me.

Here are a couple I'm considering....

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/camera-camcorder/smart-cameras/nx-cameras/EV-NX300ZBATGB

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/120750-panasonic-lumix-gf6-review

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh3/

dan_bgblue
05-31-2013, 09:20 PM
I never handled one. My experience with old film SLRs and DSLR cameras tells me I want hot shoe or ring flash capability shooting bugs or any other object up close in less than perfect light.(macro shooting) Many times when you are sneaking up on the little critter you have to block out the sunlight with your body or head to get the shot and the flashes I mentioned are critical for a good image.

Also if the camera does not have a viewfinder and only gives the photographer the option of shooting at arms length using the screen on the back of the body to frame the shot leads to shaky (blurry) images in less than great light.

I have a Canon S5IS that I have had for years that is great for snapshots in good light and has the macro feature that allows for bug photos on the fly. It has a fixed, zoom lens that can not be changed but does a great job.

I hope someone can give you good advice on the micro 4/3rds systems

Having said all of that, the 4/3rds cameras take excellent digital pictures based on the images I see at the camera review sites on he net

CGWildcat
06-01-2013, 10:57 PM
Well, I bit the bullet. Ended up going with a basic DSLR. Good sale on the Canon EOS T3 with the 18-55m lens plus the Canon (made by Tamron) 67-300mm. I'm happy. I think. :)

badrose
06-02-2013, 09:31 AM
I think you did the right thing.

dan_bgblue
06-02-2013, 09:48 AM
Well, I bit the bullet. Ended up going with a basic DSLR. Good sale on the Canon EOS T3 with the 18-55m lens plus the Canon (made by Tamron) 67-300mm. I'm happy. I think. :)

Allrighty, now go buy some film and get to clicking

CGWildcat
06-02-2013, 01:43 PM
I'm looking for film. Apparently DHS is buying that as much as ammo. None on the shelves ;)

Thanks Badrose, means a lot. Now thinking about a 50mm f1.4 lens

Allrighty, now go buy some film and get to clicking

dan_bgblue
06-02-2013, 02:17 PM
Coastie, I have a suggestion. Play with the 18-55 for a while and note what focal length you use the most. Are you always shooting on the wide end 18m or at the long end 55mm or somewhere in between. That should give you a better idea of which focal length for a prime would fit your shooting preference. On the APS-C sensor in the T3, the 30-35 mm lenses renders a field of view very similar to what your eyes see at the same distance from the image. 50mm is a little bit of a telephoto lens on the APS-C sensor cameras.

I have both a 30mm 1.4 and the 50mm 1.4 and like them a lot for what and where I shoot. I have other lenses but the only other prime I have is a 85mm 1.8, and all 3 lenses have their own place depending on what you are shooting and where you are doing it.

Damn DHS, I have not been able to find any digital film for months. If you do decide on the 50mm, I would suggest going with the Canon version. You can get them from Canon in a refurb for about $340.00 and you can pick up mint used ones for $300.00 all day long.

CGWildcat
06-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Thanks so much for that suggestion. THis is gonna be fun! I sat outback today just shooting chairs, birds, dogs.....

bigsky
06-02-2013, 05:51 PM
I really like a quick 85. It's a portrait lens and just a bit tele for candid shots.

My film camera got stolen so I'm just a point and shoot guy any more.