PDA

View Full Version : KY in the News

dan_bgblue
05-27-2013, 07:11 PM
Lincoln County High School Student Says Prayer at Graduaton (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/27/kentucky-high-school-graduation-includes-prayer-despite-objections/)

This will not set well in some circles

CitizenBBN
05-27-2013, 09:09 PM
I fail to see how a private person saying something that may even be offensive in a speech is a violation of civil rights. He wasn't required to do anything, it wasn't an official school position. He's right up against the 1st Amendment on this one, as the person giving the speech was a student. He could undoubtedly have said something non-religious that would have been offensive to some, and that may or may not have drawn criticism but it wouldn't be a violation of someone's rights.

There's no right to not be offended in the Constitution or in the writings of the Founders. If the school took an official position in some way, if he was impacted other than a non-employee saying something he didn't like, maybe I see an infringement here, but I'm really tired of people thinking their rights are being infringed simply b/c someone said something, even in a public location. I have had to sit through stuff with which I don't agree, I lived.

UKHistory
05-27-2013, 09:28 PM
Good for the student. Civil disobedience is an American tradition. While schools and educators must walk a fine line while on the clock representing the school, a student has got every right to speak his mind in that setting.

jazyd
05-27-2013, 09:44 PM
No ones rights were e fringed, because if they were on this then my rights are infringed every day by someone. Screw Thelma, glad the young man did what e did

Doc
05-27-2013, 10:20 PM
And a bit of a coincidence--"Lincoln High Principal Tim Godbey"

Nobody forced anybody to listen and no civil rights were denied. I'm curious as to which civil right Ricky Smith felt was violated.

Lfbj00
05-29-2013, 10:46 PM
Part of the class president Johnathan Hardwick's prayer was the following, “Thank you for helping us get here safely today, Lord, and thank you for the many blessings you have given us.”

“Every student should feel safe at their graduation and should not have to worry about religious bullying,” Ricky Smith said.

WHAT PART OF THAT WAS "RELIGIOUS BULLYING"????

BigBluePappy
05-30-2013, 10:30 PM
Unfortunately from my point of view, the word Lord, or God, or He or His.

While I try my best not to evangelize, as if I would consider myself worthy, it is sad that our country, found on principles that say freedom of religion, not free from religion, whatever that may be, cannot hold public prayer.
Heck, pray to a sacrificed goat to the god of Orthon if you wish (and if it is legal in your jurisdiction) but feel free to worship (or not worship) as you choose and if you believe otherwise feel free to meditate or whatever.

We live in a wonderful land of opportunity and do not take advantage of our freedom without trying to stifle someone else's.

I'll shut up now. Just my $0.02.

badrose
05-31-2013, 09:54 AM

While I try my best not to evangelize, as if I would consider myself worthy, it is sad that our country, found on principles that say freedom of religion, not free from religion, whatever that may be, cannot hold public prayer.
Heck, pray to a sacrificed goat to the god of Orthon if you wish (and if it is legal in your jurisdiction) but feel free to worship (or not worship) as you choose and if you believe otherwise feel free to meditate or whatever.

We live in a wonderful land of opportunity and do not take advantage of our freedom without trying to stifle someone else's.

That's excellent. It's a bit of a pendulum swing going from loving your neighbor to legislating morality while turning our collective head from our own shortcomings. We slap on bumper stickers (or worse, Facebook posts) rather than engage in meaningful and caring dialogue. Looking down our noses and ostracizing took the place of being a people for others who struggle to turn to for comfort or counsel. In short, we lost the blueprint for being the salt of the earth we were called to be.

Tolerance works both ways, but love truly conquers all.

badrose
05-31-2013, 09:54 AM

That's excellent. It's a bit of a pendulum swing going from loving your neighbor to legislating morality while turning our collective head from our own shortcomings. We slap on bumper stickers (or worse, Facebook posts) rather than engage in meaningful and caring dialogue. Looking down our noses and ostracizing took the place of being a people for others who struggle to turn to for comfort or counsel. In short, we lost the blueprint for being the salt of the earth we were called to be.

Tolerance works both ways, but love truly conquers all.