PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt Title Honda Accord

Darrell KSR
05-19-2013, 09:23 PM
Honda Accord EX 2003, 131,000 miles

Louisiana car, flood title in 2006 at 30,000 miles.
Rebuilt title issued in Alabama at 33,000 miles. Driven 98,000 miles in the next 7 years.

Consumer Reports Reliability rates 18 different categories using their "circle" system (basically 1 to 5, with 1 being worst, and 5 being best).

It receives better than average (4) or best (5) in 15 of the 18 categories. It is fair, or average, in 2 categories. It receives a "1" circle (black circle) for audio. This car has an aftermarket 6-CD changer with Pioneer speakers.

So I like Accords. But do I like them with rebuilt titles?

I have been finding them for about $7k being sold by private parties. This is one owned by someone around the corner from us (not in my neighborhood; the next neighborhood), and he's selling it for $3k.

I know the difference between a "salvage" title and a "rebuilt" title. But somebody tell me--should my son just stay away from this? I love the idea of the Accord, and pleased that's what he wants (or a Civic). But I don't want him to make a mistake. I'd love to save him $3k if I could on something that will run and take him to/from school, and to/from work, 10 mile puttering around town trips. But I don't want him to buy a pig in a poke.

Help? Any thoughts on it?

dan_bgblue
05-19-2013, 09:57 PM
Flood vehicles are some of the worst bets. If they are rebuilt properly, they are fine, but we do not know if they took the body off the frame and did a complete rehab. Many less than honest body shops will turn these vehicles around for a hefty profit without concern for the longevity of the vehicle. Body/frame rust and eventual salt water corrosion of the electronics are the worst things that happen. Much of the electronics are hidden and in today's vehicles, even ones 10 years old, are consumed with electronic regulation of everything from the brakes, airbag, to ignition and fuel flow.

Having said all that, if the vehicle has been driven 98K in 7 years, runs today, and all the electronic features work, I would not be worried unless it is a rust bucket under the hood, in the trunk, (peel back the carpet to see). In the test drive I would make sure the transmission did not slip, or grab "AT ALL". 3K is a fair deal for a properly rehabbed Accord with 130K.

Darrell KSR
05-19-2013, 10:09 PM
Well, I should've added that we take every car we are interested in to our mechanic, who does a thorough inspection of it as well. So far we have turned down two cars because of the results of the inspections. One of them we probably would've turned down anyway, but the other I thought was fine because I'm an idiot.

So add that to your equation as well. In addition to 7 years being driven and 98,000 miles, plus a test drive, it will also have to pass inspection at a full service auto mechanic shop that has done this for me several times already.

Since I posted this, my son told me he doesn't think he wants to check it out. So this may all be for naught anyway. It's his money; I'd just like to help him spend it wisely.

CitizenBBN
05-19-2013, 10:23 PM
It was rebuilt b/c it was flooded, as you know. "Flood damaged" ranges from "underwater for a week" to "in an area that had flooding" but as a matter of general principle the quickest way to ruin every part of a car is to soak it in water, so I'm still skeptical. Sounds like bama may be like Kentucky in that it's easy to rebuild a title, which means lots of damaged cars showing up in the state after a big national storm.

If it had been just a year or two I'd say no way no how, but 7 years is a long time if no other damage showed in that time that you know about. That's IF it's been reliable in that time. That would be my big worry, has it been having troubles from the flooding that have limited its life compared to the normal 250-300K you should get from a well maintained Honda?

I'd go over it with a fine toothed comb. A good mechanic will look for the sure signs of flood damage. Was the undercarriage re-primed? Look for rusting/pitting inside the panels, the frames under the seats. Put it on the machine and see if the computer diagnostics work out right.

After 7 years I'm not ready to reject it completely, and I would if it were just a year or two.

CitizenBBN
05-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Well, I should've added that we take every car we are interested in to our mechanic, who does a thorough inspection of it as well. So far we have turned down two cars because of the results of the inspections. One of them we probably would've turned down anyway, but the other I thought was fine because I'm an idiot.

So add that to your equation as well. In addition to 7 years being driven and 98,000 miles, plus a test drive, it will also have to pass inspection at a full service auto mechanic shop that has done this for me several times already.

Since I posted this, my son told me he doesn't think he wants to check it out. So this may all be for naught anyway. It's his money; I'd just like to help him spend it wisely.

I was typing as you posted this. A good mechanic know knows how things "work" in the used car game can spot a car with real damage that was covered up. The problem then is finding such a person. Flood damage is about the worst starting point for a car, I'd want a guy I really trust. Sounds like you may have one.

Catonahottinroof
05-20-2013, 05:32 AM
If this was a Louisiana flood car, it could possibly be a Katrina victim with brackish flood water. I'd run from it at full speed.

CitizenBBN
05-20-2013, 07:00 PM
If this was a Louisiana flood car, it could possibly be a Katrina victim with brackish flood water. I'd run from it at full speed.

If it was one I'm surprised it's still running after 7 years, but if there's a bigger flashing red warning light than "flood damaged" I don't know what it is.

Darrell KSR
05-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Heck, I may just buy it myself. If it's a dud, I'd rather waste my money than his.

He's smarter than I am. He took a pass on it.

elicat
05-20-2013, 09:09 PM
In 2004, after having the kind of mechanic's inspection you're talking about, I bought a flood damaged 1999 Mercedes 190e. Drove it until last December, when I sold it, still working fine, on Craigslist. It's all about what the mechanic finds. I paid $1850 for it, because the title scared everybody off without further ado. It required two significant repairs in all that time, neither of which were water damage related. So needless to say, this can work out quite well. The question is what the real damage actually was. No doubt my experience was the exception, and people's warning bells go off about these cars for good reason, but if you follow the evidence you can do quite well.

Darrell KSR
05-22-2013, 05:13 AM
Sold the first day.

Sent using Forum Runner.

Darrell KSR
05-27-2013, 04:39 PM
Bought 2005 Toyota Echo, 5-speed, 127k. Happy with his selection.

Mobile platform post.

Darrell KSR
06-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Just a follow-up. Son ended up getting a 5-speed Toyota Echo, 2005, 126,000 miles on it. Mechanic loved it, said he'd like to get one for himself. Have been driving it three weeks while son learns how to drive a stick; just turned it over to him "full time" today. I will miss driving that little car.

Even though he's still learning (giving it gas while engaging the clutch, and a dozen other minor errors costing gas mileage), it is getting a legitimate 35mpg in the city on the first two tanks I have filled up. It may get better than that when he learns how to drive it properly. Little car is so light, despite the small engine, it will get up and go.

Things have a way of working out, and pleased with this one. It was a little more than the Honda, but well within his price range and got a good deal on it, too. Car is clean as a whistle, everything works, A/C blows cold (I will REALLY miss that), good after-market Panasonic CD stereo, and not a mark on the inside.

CitizenBBN
06-23-2013, 01:17 PM
Cool Darrell. Glad it worked out.

Re giving it gas when engaging the clutch, I guess I'm confused. Are you taking about rev matching in gear changes or something else like going into first from a stop? Just curious.

Darrell KSR
06-23-2013, 01:25 PM
Cool Darrell. Glad it worked out.

Re giving it gas when engaging the clutch, I guess I'm confused. Are you taking about rev matching in gear changes or something else like going into first from a stop? Just curious.

I'm not explaining it well. Basically, when he depresses the clutch before he begins to release he is continuing to the press the gas pedal, only there is no place to go since the clutch is engaged. You hear that racing the engine noise in between gears. It is not smooth like most shifting is from a seasoned manual transmission driver.

CitizenBBN
06-23-2013, 01:40 PM
Gotcha. Yeah, he's leaving his foot on the gas and ends up revving the engine. No way to get good at rev matching other than to drive the thing and get experience.

If it makes you feel any better about getting 35mpg, I average a very consistent 15, and I rev match pretty good. Not perfect, driving a stick is a journey, not a destination IMO.

You may want to watch the new Mythbusters episode on hypermiling. They test a number of mileage saving techniques that combined are supposed to double or triple mileage. Doesn't improve it that much, but it does sure improve it. Of course driving 45mph max isn't worth the savings to me, and may get you shot by a raging driver. Like me, if I get behind someone doing that. lol.

Darrell KSR
06-23-2013, 02:03 PM
Oh, I'm ecstatic with 35 mpg. Anything close to that and it's fantastic. With that car's little engine, it will be hard not to get outstanding gas mileage.

dan_bgblue
06-23-2013, 04:25 PM
With practice he he can get to where the only time he uses the clutch is to start and stop.

I am glad he found what he wanted and got a respectable deal on it as well