PDA

View Full Version : Had to put my best friend down

truecatsfan
05-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Man it hurts to put a dog to sleep. He was a 11 year old boxer. He lived a great life. I was out side mowing and my wife came out of the house yelling, so i came running to see my buddie take his last few breathes(so i thought) told him that i loved him and after out 20 seconds he came back to life. He couldnt walk so i picked him up and went to the vet. By the time we got there he was coming back around, the vet checked him out and told us there was nothing he could do, so he said he may live a couple more weeks. My wife was having a really hard time with this so we loaded him back up to go back home. He was not the same after we got home. At 3:20 when my son came in he got up to greet him and fell over again and quit breathing again, so we thought this was the end but he came back to life again. Back to the vet again knowing this would be his last ride. This time you could tell somthing was not right. After we got there we talked about and decided it was best to say goodbye. I tell you this because he was not supposed to live past 8. At the time my wife was going to the doctor. She found out she had cancer, so she started taking chemo with him right by her side every day. Three and a half years past bye no promblems for him and my wife was finally cancer free, even thow they said there was no hope. She is caner free now for 6 months. There is no doubt GOD heald my wife but with him with her 24 7 i cant help to think the good lord kept him around long enough to heal her. I know it my sound crazy. Sorry for the rant but wanted to share.

BigBluePappy
05-17-2013, 08:35 PM
No need to apologize, you just lost an 11-year member of your family and it hurts, period.
God places special angels all over the place, whose to say your beloved boxer wasn't one of them?
I wish you God's comfort in this time of your loss and praise Him for your wife's recovery.

truecatsfan
05-17-2013, 08:39 PM
Thanks Pappy, it was prayers that pulled her threw this. He visited more states than most people do.

CitizenBBN
05-17-2013, 08:42 PM
I'd say that's the least "rant" like post I've ever read, and I thank you for sharing. Really sorry for your loss. Losing any close pet is losing a part of the family.

suncat05
05-17-2013, 09:10 PM
So sorry to hear this sad news, tcf. Hope your wife is doing well, and someday you'll be reunited with that wonderful dog. Prayers offered up for your family in this time of loss.

Darrell KSR
05-17-2013, 09:22 PM
Very sorry to hear of that huge loss. No need to apologize. Thoughts and prayers for your family.

Sent using Forum Runner.

CGWildcat
05-18-2013, 12:51 PM
So sad to hear of your loss. These things are never easy. "Rant" away.

kritikalcat
05-18-2013, 02:11 PM
I am so sorry you had to say goodbye to your best friend.

A year ago this past Thursday my then-girlfriend had to put down her best friend (5 year old boxer mix, had been sick all winter and finally diagnosed with lymphoma)

Catmandrew
05-18-2013, 11:16 PM
Sorry for your loss, I know your pain, as many here do as well. I'm a HUGE dog person, and it hurts so bad to lose one. But remember, i know you can never replace him, but there's a lot of fine dogs at the shelter looking for someone to love and be loved, just like your buddy.

badrose
05-19-2013, 08:14 AM
Our dogs are family and it hurts bad when they go. So sorry for your loss.

truecatsfan
05-19-2013, 08:27 AM
Thanks guys.

jazyd
05-20-2013, 08:46 AM
True, don't think of putting him down, think of giving him a final peace. Think of what he brought to your family, especially your wife. With your wife now free of cancer, his job was complete. Thank God for healing your wife and for the great companion HE gave your family

suncat05
05-20-2013, 09:16 AM
And to add another thought to jazy's, I have told my family many times that our dog does not belong to us, that we belong to her. I too am a dog person. There is nothing wrong with cats, but I am just not enamored with most cat's attitudes and aloofness. But dogs, they epitomize loyalty and the meanng of family in almost every way. Dogs are just so cool, in almost every way.
Except when they pee on the floor! Aside from that, the little dog I have now, there is nothing you could give me or trade with me to get her away from us.

UKHistory
05-21-2013, 10:12 PM
We put our cat in march of 2012. It was very painful for me. And eerie too. Shep was born in 1998 just prior to our national title. He was diagnosed with cancer and put down just before the NCAA tourney in 12.

He bookended our last two titles and it felt especially somber walking back from the vet thinking we would most likely win it that year.

I am very sorry for your loss. Pets are family to me. My prayers to you and yours in this tough time.

God bless you.

truecatsfan
05-22-2013, 07:05 PM
Thanks so much guys, this is one of the reasons i joined this site. We buried him in the backyard( it was he favorite place outside). Put tree beside his grave with a flag with a picture of him it and a tombstone.

UKHistory
05-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Truecatsfan:

Outside of larry I have never met any other member in person. We are a virtual family. We bleed blue together and we mourn with you and yours.

Kentucky Basketball is more than just games. It is family.