PDA

View Full Version : A question for our auto mechanics here

suncat05
05-17-2013, 05:02 PM
Okay, today I had to drive over to Okeechobee to take care of some errands for "the Boss"(that'd be Mrs. Suncat!). After I had finished making my assigned rounds, I stopped at the gas station to fill up with petrol.
I opened the gas cover, and took the gas cap off and stated to turn around to the pump when some slight movement at the gas cap caught my eye. I looked down and saw something, but did not get an instant visual recognition on exactly what it was, so I moved a bit closer to see whatever it was. It moved again! Only this time not only did it move, but it moved into the gas nozzle opening before I could stop it.
It was a small green frog! I didn't realize exactly what it was until it was too late to stop it or retrieve it from the gas nozzle opening. Down it went, into the gas tank. I didn't know what to do, but I seem to remember uttering something like "Oh, great, stupid frog!!" or something to that effect.
I am sure it was probably dead, or very close to being dead by the time it dropped into the gas that was already in the tank. I thought about it for a minute, and waited to see if it might possibly find its way out if it was still alive. I actually waited about 3 or 4 minutes, and then just said the heck with it and went ahead and pumped my gas. Then I got into my truck and drove home, making one more stop at the Post Office. The truck, so far, has run just fine.

Here is my question: will the gasoline in the tank cause the frog's remains to dissolve? And if not, is there a good possibility that at some point the frog's remains may make their way to the gas intake opening/nozzle/whatever in the tank and cause my truck to just stop running because the frog's body is blocking the gas flow to the engine?

Anyone? And has anyone on this board ever had something like this happen to them before? If so, what did you end up having to do to remedy the problem? Thanks in advance.........

Darrell KSR
05-17-2013, 05:52 PM
Sounds like a great country western song, "I've got a frog in my tank, but no bones on my hands," our something similar.

Maybe you could burn it out.

No, walt.

I will wait for experts to chime in.

Sent using Forum Runner.

BigBlueBrock
05-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Gonna be honest. I did not expect this story. I haven't the slightest clue what being submerged in gasoline will do to that poor dead frog. I would think your car is OK as long as you don't drive around with your tank on E a lot (which you should never do regardless of whether or not there's a dead amphibian in the tank as gasoline is never 100% without debris). The fuel pumps are located at the bottom of the tank and the frog's remains will float.

But I'd talk to a real mechanic (I'm just a simple hobbyist) to be sure.

BigBluePappy
05-17-2013, 07:52 PM
Just a note from someone familiar with the gas station machinery, does your hose not have a in-line filter between the pump and nozzle?
You my friend, may have dispensed a live froggy in your tank; I'm gonna tell your grandkids!

suncat05
05-17-2013, 08:07 PM
BBB-I seldom, if ever, let the fuel gauge get below a 1/2 tank. Unless I'm on a trip, and then I drive it until it's almost dry, not liking the idea of mixing 'old' gas with 'fresh', or 'new' gas.
Darrell-how is it that fire and country-western songs seem to have some sort of kinship, as it were? Where's Johnny Cash when ya need him?
Pappy-don't have any of them young'uns around just yet, but once they arrive I think I'll spare them the whole "froggy suicide" story. They might not understand.
And thanks........you guys have been a lot of help!! :sCo_huhsign:

BigBluePappy
05-17-2013, 08:29 PM
I can't wait for you my friend; ain't nothin' on this earth like them.

Back to your ahem, "problem" -

Are you absolutely sure it went into the tank, and two is this her primary or your primary car? If it is momma's I don't take any chances because of this (http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/2010/07/29/20100729south-carolina-burger-found-in-gas-tank.html) but if it is yours, I would drive it until it needs attention, just my $0.02.

CitizenBBN
05-17-2013, 08:37 PM
Chevron stuffed dinosaurs in theirs for those commercials in the 70s and those cars seemed fine. Exxon put in tigers. Surely with just a little frog you'll be OK. :)

Honestly I'd hope Doc or our other medical folks take a shot at it too. My question is the same as Pappy's. I know it's an after market mod to put an in line fuel filter in place and some swear by them. Regardless the factory fuel filter should catch everything but you'll need to check it a bunch I'd assume. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will have a more definitive answer. And a less smarta$$ one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gei3gpG2IYU

suncat05
05-17-2013, 09:17 PM
Pappy, it's my truck, a Nissan Frontier Desert Runner. Momma NEVER has anything like this happen to her. And truthfully, she'd have never seen the stinkin' frog to begin with. Me.......I see things other people don't see at all.
CBBN-just how did you know that this happened at a Chevron station?

blueboss
05-17-2013, 09:24 PM
The good news is if the vehicle quits running you won't need to get a "jump" start....sorry, it's all I got.

suncat05
05-17-2013, 09:34 PM
The good news is if the vehicle quits running you won't need to get a "jump" start....sorry, it's all I got.

:sHa_dielaughing:

CitizenBBN
05-17-2013, 09:57 PM

You mean if it croaks? :)

Lfbj00
05-18-2013, 08:24 AM
You know the old saying...."If a bullfrog had wings, it wouldn't bump it's 'gas'!!"

BigBlueBrock
05-18-2013, 12:52 PM
Someone needs to set this thread on fire before the rest of the internet sees it.

suncat05
05-18-2013, 01:06 PM
Well, I may be wrong, but I am figuring that eventually the frog will decompose. I'm hoping so anyway. :533:

Maybe I shoulda just PM'ed Doc.............:idea:

blueboss
05-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Well, I may be wrong, but I am figuring that eventually the frog will decompose. I'm hoping so anyway. :533:

Maybe I shoulda just PM'ed Doc.............:idea:

Maybe you could just swing by his "pad"

CitizenBBN
05-18-2013, 06:00 PM

You know it may not be dead yet. If not you could try to coax it out by putting a little top hat and cane next to the cap, maybe sing a few bars of "Hello my honey, hello my baby, hello my ragtime gal!"

CitizenBBN
05-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Maybe you could just swing by his "pad"

Call first. Doc can be kinda "jumpy" when people just show up.

suncat05
05-18-2013, 07:20 PM
I knew I could count on you guys.............. :poke:

CitizenBBN
05-18-2013, 08:24 PM
I knew I could count on you guys.............. :poke:

With friends like these, who need enemas? :D

In all seriousness I'd be like you, worried that I should be worried but not sure if I should be or not and it's not like the owner's manual has a chapter on what to do if wildlife jumps into the gas tank.

Theoretically you could disconnect the fuel line at the engine/pump end and drain it completely and flush it. I'd have a mechanic do it I guess but it's not like it's a permanently sealed system.

I keep hoping if we keep this at the top by being idiots someone with real knowledge will come by and provide actual advice.

suncat05
05-18-2013, 08:37 PM
With friends like these, who need enemas? :D

In all seriousness I'd be like you, worried that I should be worried but not sure if I should be or not and it's not like the owner's manual has a chapter on what to do if wildlife jumps into the gas tank.

Theoretically you could disconnect the fuel line at the engine/pump end and drain it completely and flush it. I'd have a mechanic do it I guess but it's not like it's a permanently sealed system.

I keep hoping if we keep this at the top by being idiots someone with real knowledge will come by and provide actual advice.

Exactamundo CBBN! I'd have to think that the frog will decompose, but then will it in a gasoline suspension? Frogs stored in a laboratory for scientific/medical purposes, in jars full of alcohol, last for years. So, the question remains, is it going to decompose in the gasoline, or am I going to have to worry, at some point, that the frog's remains will impair the function of my gas intake at sometime or other?
I'm still perplexed at WHY a frog would even want to be anywhere close to my truck to begin with, much less be hanging out at the fuel opening at the exact moment that I stop and open it to acquire fuel? :533:

suncat05
05-18-2013, 08:41 PM
And of all the dumb, stupid, crazy things I have seen and experienced in my lifetime, this one is one of the weirdest to have ever happened to me. Luckily I was off duty and not wearing that s*#t magnet green pickle suit or I'm sure something else would've happened too! :bonk:

blueboss
05-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Should see a significant "jump" in your MPG

PedroDaGr8
05-18-2013, 10:44 PM
Not sure exactly what will happen but gasoline being a solvent, the creature will likely at least partially dissolve. What doesn't dissolve will be caught by yoru fuel filter (it usually sits either before the fuel pump or right after it).

dan_bgblue
05-18-2013, 10:56 PM
Hats off to you "going green".

Catmandrew
05-19-2013, 07:55 AM
I know the answer, but you wouldn't believe me if I "toad" you :)

Seriously, if the fuel pump is in the tank, it has a screen filter built onto it, (not the external changeable one) and you should be fine. I'd look up your pump online, and see what it looks like, or call the dealer. If it has the screen, I'd say you can hop along.

suncat05
05-20-2013, 07:30 AM
Many thanks to all who responded. This is why I like you guys so much.........lots of intellect and humorous too!