PDA

View Full Version : Love this Bill - do you? Overtime law made more flexible

Darrell KSR
05-14-2013, 03:30 AM
Why doesn't this get widespread support?

GOP pushes paid time off in lieu of overtime
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57584035/gop-pushes-paid-time-off-in-lieu-of-overtime/

I get that the kneejerk reaction is, "it's a way to cheat the working man/woman." Or, "even if we make it the employee's choice, it's really the employer's choice because they'll be forced into it."

(Note--I haven't read the bill, but relying upon a comment. But here's what it provides.)

First, the employee has to agree to the comp time. Second, each hour of overtime is 1.5 hours of comp time. Third, if that comp time isn't, can't be used - the employer has to pay it out to the employee. Fourth, the employee can withdraw the agreement at anytime and request all that comp time collected be paid instead, i.e. overtime pay. Fifth, the employer can't coerce the employee to do anything (it's a misdemeanor, so they would be fined at a minimum) Sixth, even if the employee is fired, it still has to be paid out.

No-brainer for non-partisan, widespread support, right?

Really, how is this objectionable? Man, I wish I worked for someone where I could take advantage of something like this. It would be great.

uklandrn
05-14-2013, 10:10 AM
I love this. It would be great for me. If I needed the cash up front - I'd request to be paid for my OT. If I had a vacay coming and wanted to take a bit more time off - I'd bank the comp time. Love the flexibility and the fact it's employee choice. I don't see how this is a bad thing no matter which side of the aisle you sit.

dan_bgblue
05-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Just a brief comment without going into a lot of detail. I do not see this as being a good arrangement in a business that involves assembly lines. The worker has the opportunity to be off the assembly line for days at a time, or one day here and one day there and this employee has to be replaced with a less qualified person to fill that slot. If the person is not replaced, the assembly line has to be shut down.

Darrell KSR
05-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Gotta have minimum employee requirements, like the Family Medical Leave Act. There you can have an employee missing for 12 weeks.

GOP pushing this is beneficial to the employee. I just don't get the backlash from typical employee-oriented facets.

Sent using Forum Runner.

Doc
05-15-2013, 08:14 AM
If a business wants to do it, GREAT. Let the business do it. However why is the government involved? Its time for the government to get out of the business business.

"The Working Families Flexibility Act", really? The working families flexibility act? The degree of self importance in Washington is incredible.

and of course
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif.,

"It ends the 40-hour work week. It cuts pay for women, undermines the economic security of the middle class, gives an interest-free loan, paid for by workers' wages and unused comp time, to the company."

It cuts the pay of women...really, and undermines the economic security of the middle class....really. I swear if a republican claimed #### stunk, she would somehow claim it was bad for women, bad for african americans and bad for the middle class. But most important-THE SINGLE ONE THING DONE IN THE LAST 100 YEARS TO END THE 40 HOUR WORK WEEK IS THE AFFORDABLE HEALTH CARE ACT (aka Obamacare). Without a doubt, 100% guaranteed. Its forced employeers to cut man hours to part time and hire more part time works so that they are not forced to cover employee's health insurance needs. So while she can spout on and on about how certain policies end the 40 hour work week, she should look in the mirror at her own ugly botoxed face if she wants to see the number one culprit of destroying the 40 hr work week.

KeithKSR
05-17-2013, 05:55 PM
People get paid for overtime? I'm a teacher and if I work two hours over after school there is no additional compensation. If I am required to have additional hours of PD training beyond the state required 24 hours we are not compensated.

In fact Kentucky middle school and high school teachers are required by state law to complete a two hour suicide prevention course each year for which we are not compensated in any way.

bigsky
05-19-2013, 10:55 AM
Dems lying about this all over the internet. Saying it's "mandatory". The usual HuffPo meme machine.