PDA

View Full Version : How would you like to catch this striped bass?

Darrell KSR
05-13-2013, 09:27 PM

dan_bgblue
05-13-2013, 10:16 PM
That was a battle. I caught one about 1/2 to 2/3rds that size years ago on Lake Cumberland and I thought at one point the fish was going to win the battle.

Congrats to the angler.

Darrell KSR
05-13-2013, 10:23 PM
Your basic 70-pound world record.

His wife was having a medical procedure, so she convinced him to go fishing. World's best wife?

www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/05/alabama_angler_hooks_igfa_worl.html

Sent using Forum Runner.

jazyd
05-13-2013, 10:40 PM
Wow. Wonder how much it will be worth.

suncat05
05-14-2013, 09:38 AM
Holy Smoke! There'll be some fish to be fried off of that one!

blueboss
05-14-2013, 07:20 PM
That's the shortest man I've ever seen!!!!

CitizenBBN
05-15-2013, 12:09 AM
Nice looking bait. Where's the fish he caught? ;)

Lfbj00
05-15-2013, 05:46 AM
Holy Smoke! There'll be some fish to be fried off of that one!

This may be a dumb question, but could you eat that thing??

suncat05
05-15-2013, 06:47 AM
As in how much? If that, then yes, I could put a dent in it. No, no way I could eat all of it in one sitting. I have a big appetite, but not that big.
And with that much fish there is certainly more than one meal there. Hope the guy that caught him has a good sized freezer!

Lfbj00
05-15-2013, 04:01 PM
No, not an amount type of question. More of a "Is that fish edible?" type of question. I've wetted a line or two in my life, but I'm no where near as knowledgeable as you guys are, and I've always wondered about how edible a fish like that is. You could take evey fish I've caught in my life, and it wouldn't be half that thing !

CitizenBBN
05-15-2013, 05:43 PM
No, not an amount type of question. More of a "Is that fish edible?" type of question. I've wetted a line or two in my life, but I'm no where near as knowledgeable as you guys are, and I've always wondered about how edible a fish like that is. You could take evey fish I've caught in my life, and it wouldn't be half that thing !

I doubt I have wetted any more lines than you, so take my experience for the little that it is worth....

Generally IMO as fish get bigger and older they may not be as tender, but it depends on the fish to me. Some fish are lousy all the time, like carp, but bass in my experience are still really good eating even if they go beyond average size. I do think there's a sweet spot with them, so this one might not be as good as a younger and more normal fish, but being a striped bass I bet it's still perfectly servable. IMO catfish is one that starts to go downhill pretty significantly past a certain size, but that's just my personal experience with them, I don't know if there's any science behind that conclusion. This one is so big I wouldn't argue with an expert telling me it's great or awful, but striped bass is a quality fish so my $5 says it's still good eating.

Surely this one will go on his wall though. If nothing else it's worth more to be sent to a taxidermist whole and then sold. it's a record breaker, people will want that trophy even if they didn't catch it.

jazyd
05-15-2013, 11:59 PM
What is strange looking is how easily he is holding that fish. I keep looking for something in his mouth tat might be a roe but can't see anything. You don't just hold a z79# fish like that.

Darrell KSR
05-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Jazy, there's a hook and a blue rope that might be hard to see in some pics. Go to your computer, and click on the link which may have a better resolution of the picture. He's certainly not holding the fish (then there might be two stories; another "strongest man" story as well lol).

Sent using Forum Runner.

jazyd
05-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Thanks Darrell, I couldn't see it on my ipad

Jazy, there's a hook and a blue rope that might be hard to see in some pics. Go to your computer, and click on the link which may have a better resolution of the picture. He's certainly not holding the fish (then there might be two stories; another "strongest man" story as well lol).

Sent using Forum Runner.

Darrell KSR
05-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Thanks Darrell, I couldn't see it on my ipad

The blue blends into the background of the trees; it is hard to see.

blueboss
05-16-2013, 03:13 PM
I'm tell'n ya, it's the worlds smallest man holding a shad.

Catmandrew
05-17-2013, 07:03 AM
I doubt I have wetted any more lines than you, so take my experience for the little that it is worth....

Generally IMO as fish get bigger and older they may not be as tender, but it depends on the fish to me. Some fish are lousy all the time, like carp, but bass in my experience are still really good eating even if they go beyond average size. I do think there's a sweet spot with them, so this one might not be as good as a younger and more normal fish, but being a striped bass I bet it's still perfectly servable. IMO catfish is one that starts to go downhill pretty significantly past a certain size, but that's just my personal experience with them, I don't know if there's any science behind that conclusion. This one is so big I wouldn't argue with an expert telling me it's great or awful, but striped bass is a quality fish so my $5 says it's still good eating.

Surely this one will go on his wall though. If nothing else it's worth more to be sent to a taxidermist whole and then sold. it's a record breaker, people will want that trophy even if they didn't catch it.
Two things, Cit. First, Flathead, or "yellow cats" actually lose no taste or tenderness the bigger they get. They only eat live or fresh cut bait, unlike blues and channels who will eat about anything. We got a 54 pound flathead on a trot line in 2006, and it was delicious! They don't have all the "red" meat you see in smaller ones, particularly on the belly meat, which is just as good as the main fillet.
Secondly, it can be eaten and mounted as well. All the taxidermist needs is a few good photos and several accurate measurements and they can produce a much higher quality "replica" than the older "skin on " type mounts.

CitizenBBN
05-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Two things, Cit. First, Flathead, or "yellow cats" actually lose no taste or tenderness the bigger they get. They only eat live or fresh cut bait, unlike blues and channels who will eat about anything. We got a 54 pound flathead on a trot line in 2006, and it was delicious! They don't have all the "red" meat you see in smaller ones, particularly on the belly meat, which is just as good as the main fillet.
Secondly, it can be eaten and mounted as well. All the taxidermist needs is a few good photos and several accurate measurements and they can produce a much higher quality "replica" than the older "skin on " type mounts.

Interesting. I've never come close to eating a 50lb fish other than in a restaurant. I'm not that good a fisherman. lol.