A) Not Guilty
B) 1st Degree Murder
C) 2nd Degree Murder
D) Manslaughter

Pick one.

Darrell KSR
05-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Arizona Law:

A) Not Guilty - means the prosecution did not prove guilt of any of the three crimes charged beyond a reasonable doubt. Could be self defense or something else that caused it.

B) 1st Degree Murder -- Arizona defines first-degree murder as when someone plans or premeditates killing another person and carries out their plan.

The jury can also convict Arias of first-degree murder with the legal theory called felony murder. If they find Arias caused Alexander's death during the course of committing a dangerous felony such as burglary, they can also convict her of first-degree murder. The jury must unanimously agree that the prosecution has proven first-degree murder, but they all don't have to agree on which first-degree murder legal theory was proven

C) 2nd Degree Murder -- Second-degree murder is when a person intentionally or knowingly causes the death of another person without premeditation.

In the alternative, second-degree murder is also defined as when the defendant shows extreme indifference to human life, and recklessly engages in conduct that creates a grave risk of death, and causes the death of another person.

D) Manslaughter -- In Arizona, if someone intentionally or knowingly kills a person without premeditation, the defendant could be charged with the crime of second-degree murder. However, if the jury believes the victim attacked the defendant, and if it was enough to incite the defendant's actions, then the intentional killing would fall under the lesser crime of manslaughter.

(Note -- that's not the same as self-defense. If the jury believes Arias' self-defense claim, and her actions were reasonable under the circumstances, then they could acquit her.)

Darrell KSR
05-06-2013, 05:32 PM
I'm going with 1st degree murder. I think premeditation was proven beyond a reasonable doubt, and I think--think--the jury will agree with that.

Be careful not to substitute what you would do with what you think the jury will do. I was waffling between 1st degree murder and 2nd degree murder in what I was guessing the jury would do, and a part of me thinks they may buy the closing argument that manslaughter is the right verdict.

CitizenBBN
05-06-2013, 05:56 PM
I honestly hadn't even heard the name until I went to cnn.com to see how they were covering Benghazi. So I think I'll abstain from this one.

blueboss
05-06-2013, 08:14 PM
She's getting the needle.......The spare gas can and turning the phone off did it for me.

Darrell KSR
05-08-2013, 02:00 PM
verdict is in, but has not yet been announced.

Sent using Forum Runner.

blue2ksr
05-08-2013, 02:37 PM
I say Manslaughter, just to be different.

blue2ksr
05-08-2013, 03:50 PM
It's first degree murder.
I agree with their verdict.

Darrell KSR
05-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Yep, I think it was proven by *both* the felony-murder rule and by premeditation. The jury was split on the reason, but unanimous as to the result, which is all that matters.

KeithKSR
05-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Hopefully the jury will vote for the death penalty in the penalty phase. It is deserved.