PDA

View Full Version : Shock poll: Wealthy, not middle class, support Obama

badrose
05-01-2013, 08:32 PM
http://washingtonexaminer.com/shock-poll-wealthy-not-middle-class-support-obama/article/2528621

dan_bgblue
05-01-2013, 08:41 PM
I think history would prove me correct when I say, the wealthy always support, in public, and contribute to a sitting president.

suncat05
05-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Well of course they do. Most of them are his friends, and none of them are struggling like almost all of us working people are.
The disparity between the very wealthy and those of us who actually work for living is stunning if you look at it objectively. And I don't envy them or their financial successes, they've earned that success. However, down here in the bowels of the earth where real people toil, most of us are struggling to make ends meet sometimes. The prices on everyday goods keeps going up, transportation costs/fuel prices keep climbing, insurance costs are climbing while coverage is dropping, my taxes keep going up, and the Governor of this state has pretty much declared war on most public employees, except for school teachers, whom he now mysteriously loves after the state teacher's unions have been doing something for him.
And like many of my fellow law enforcement bretheren, there's been no wage increases since 2007, but everyone else seems to have their hands in my pockets. I'm paying more for everything and my income keeps dwindling.
So any equity that there was previously is quickly, and I mean very quickly, disappearing down here among the working folks.

jazyd
05-02-2013, 10:23 AM
well said. When the markets and economy went south in 2008 and 09, our business in our small store was doing fairly well for a small independent retailer and my wife and I could afford to do some things, not much such as nice vacations or new cars but we could pay our bills and not worry. Today, much different. Our expenses for the business are higher than 2009 such as UPS charges, merchandise we buy, utitilites, insurance, payroll, property taxes and everything in between. Our income though is lower by 10% so that we can still pay the bills here and keep our employees. At home, insurance is up, taxes up, gas up, groceries thru the roof, every day living is up. We rarely go out to eat and when we do it is somewher we can keep it under $30 for the two of us. My suburban has 260,000 miles on it and is 12 yrs old, my wifes Accord has 149,000 miles and is 7 yrs old. My house needs certain repairs so we have to save for months to be able to do each thing once we have the money such as my foundation that had to be fixed last fall before my fireplace fell to the ground, $18.000 and it took my 8 years to save for it. I need $2000 worth of wood repairs to the outside of the house, should have that this summer.
Glad the wealthy are doing well, to bad they support a POS

Well of course they do. Most of them are his friends, and none of them are struggling like almost all of us working people are.
The disparity between the very wealthy and those of us who actually work for living is stunning if you look at it objectively. And I don't envy them or their financial successes, they've earned that success. However, down here in the bowels of the earth where real people toil, most of us are struggling to make ends meet sometimes. The prices on everyday goods keeps going up, transportation costs/fuel prices keep climbing, insurance costs are climbing while coverage is dropping, my taxes keep going up, and the Governor of this state has pretty much declared war on most public employees, except for school teachers, whom he now mysteriously loves after the state teacher's unions have been doing something for him.
And like many of my fellow law enforcement bretheren, there's been no wage increases since 2007, but everyone else seems to have their hands in my pockets. I'm paying more for everything and my income keeps dwindling.
So any equity that there was previously is quickly, and I mean very quickly, disappearing down here among the working folks.

Doc
05-02-2013, 07:48 PM
Folks should look at the data in the link. I disagree with the conclusions made in the article. In the >100k category, the largest single group is STRONGLY DISAPPROVE at 34%. The only groups where he holds a higher percentage in the strongly approve or somewhat approve is the dumb ass youth of the county and minorities. No shock that the headline would tout "support" but when you actually look at the numbers you might come to a different conclusion. Have folks not learned yet to not take the media at face values? They report what they want, interpret as they want and present as THEY WANT. Look deeper my friends!

Apologies if I misread any numbers. iPhone screens are small and can't enlarge that image

dan_bgblue
05-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Fully admit I did not read the article. I still stand by my earlier comment. However I do want to quantify my description of wealthy, and will respect your view on the same.

I was commenting on the wealthy from the opinion that wealthy is multimillionaires and billionaires. Your description of same may vary.

Doc
05-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Fully admit I did not read the article. I still stand by my earlier comment. However I do want to quantify my description of wealthy, and will respect your view on the same.

I was commenting on the wealthy from the opinion that wealthy is multimillionaires and billionaires. Your description of same may vary.

Dan, I'm saying the article is a bit deceptive. More folks disapprove (strongly or somewhat) than approve in all categories but the "me generation" (young folks who believe they are owned something because they are rather than having worked years to get what you have) and minorities. I don't disagree that there are some uber rich who support him but you will see that with every president. The reason they are uber rich is they hedge their bets.

The charts in the report that the article used for its base notes that 39% of the country strongly disapproves and is the largest category. The strongly approves is 1/2 that at 20%. I'm not sure how the article comes to the conclusion that "the wealthy" support him. For those with incomes over 100K, ACCORDING TO THE CHART, 38% strongly disapprove while only 22% strongly approve. Call me niave but I'm not sure I'd classify that as the wealthy supporting him.

dan_bgblue
05-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Well dangit, you made me look at the numbers. Please note I am not disagreeing with your take on the numbers, I am just sharing a possible different slant on them.

If one takes the strongly agree and somewhat agree numbers and adds them together we will see that persons with incomes over 100K make up 54%. That would be an approval rating of support.

College grads hit 57% if we add the two supporting categories together