PDA

View Full Version : Teacher Suspended For Showing Kids Pliers

badrose
04-26-2013, 09:40 PM
http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/teacher-suspended-for-showing-kids-pliers.html

KeithKSR
04-26-2013, 10:02 PM
That is way past stupid. That wouldn't happen at this time in Eastern Kentucky.

Darrell KSR
04-26-2013, 10:58 PM
I hate headlines like that. He had a boxcutter and a pocket knife that he showed. Anybody think maybe, just maybe, *those* were the "weapons" for which he was suspended, and not the pliers? Why did the newspaper headline claim the 4-day suspension was for showing kids pliers, when nowhere in the story did it say that? Disturbingly misleading.

Now, whether or not you think it is appropriate to issue a 4-day suspension for boxcutter and a knife is another issue. If the school board policy prohibits it, I have no problem with the suspension, and a big problem over yet another federal lawsuit filed. Does school board policy permit taking knives and boxcutters to school if it is part of a demonstration? If yes, then he is right to file suit, I suppose, over the 4 day suspension. If no, then he doesn't.

JMO.

badrose
04-27-2013, 06:47 AM
I would agree that the headline itself is misleading. But the story is compelling. Any of those tools could be dangerous if used as weapons, but instead they were demonstrated as they were intended and probably common in most households. When I was in elementary school a lot of guys carried pocket knives. Even played games with them during recess. It never crossed our minds to use them as weapons.

Taking all of the story in consideration, I could see a 5-minute counseling with the teacher saying what he did was probably not a good idea in such a political climate, though the teacher should have known that considering this all took place in Chicago. On the other hand, seeing that most kids in public school there struggle with basic reading and writing, learning how to properly use tools might get them jobs with a good vocation.

Darrell KSR
04-27-2013, 08:35 AM
A machete is a proper tool, too, in the correct setting. I don't question whether it's a tool or not.

If board policy prohibits knives and boxcutters, suspension for 4 days was sound.

And in my opinion, the federal lawsuit the teacher filed is frivolous (assuming knives and boxcutters are prohibited items). I would support termination if the teacher ignored the rules.

Doc
04-27-2013, 09:01 AM
Fox gets a huge huge thumbs down on that one. Very misleading since it wasn't "pliers" that was the issue. I expect more/better from the media. IMO that is something MSNBC would do with a blatantly inaccurate title.

But if we ignore the bush league headline, I say the school did right. A picture of the "tools" would have sufficed. Box cutters and knives have no business in school. I've had two incidents where my kids had weapons issues. My daughter when in 10th grade, with my help, built a mini guillotine that was functional, for a french revolution project. It had a little blade on it that was made of 1/4 inch wide cold roll metal file to a edge. I slid in a track and maybe, possibly could have cut a green bean. Once the principle looked at it, he laughed and said no big deal. Oh, and my daughter got an "A" on the project. It was actually pretty cool.
And then there was the incident where my son who was in 7th grade, took a pocket knife he got at the flea market to school. Some kids saw him with it and he was busted. Got a 1 1/2 suspension for it. I totally supported the school. I had no issue with the suspension at all even though it was just a pocket knife and was no intent to use it. Stupid move by my son.

But in this case, its a teacher. My question is he a moron or just plain dumb? I don't care how careful you are, how locked up your stuff it, there is a policy on weapons in schools. Box cutters and knifes clearly are not something to be brought to school.

Taking all of the story in consideration, I could see a 5-minute counseling with the teacher saying what he did was probably not a good idea in such a political climate, though the teacher should have known that considering this all took place in Chicago. On the other hand, seeing that most kids in public school there struggle with basic reading and writing, learning how to properly use tools might get them jobs with a good vocation

John, this was second grade. He likely wasn't showing them tools so they could potentially get jobs with a good vocation. Big difference between high school or middle school shop class and 2nd grade. Having a knife, leather punch, awl in class would be totally appropriate and expected in a vocational class but its not needed for 6 and 7 yr olds.

badrose
04-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Times are different I guess. I can't remember what grade I was in but it was a 1-5 school so my best guess would be 2nd, 3rd, or 4th since my memory is clearer for 1st and 5th. Opie Taylor had a slingshot around that age, had toy pistols, and probably more stuff that would cause folks to faint. I did too.

My dad did a lot of work around the house and he'd get me to help him even when I was little. Handing him whichever tool he needed next or holding the flashlight. I learned what was what by name and saw what they were used for.

We had a lot of freedom in those days but we had appropriate punishments as well. Spankings at home and school helped us remember that there were consequences for careless use of those freedoms and deliberately hurting others was out of the question for most. The Ten Commandments were on display and we recited the Lord's Prayer ever day. No matter your religion or even if you had a religion, those were good things to live by. Reword it and make it secular if need be but those things should be instilled in young minds. I think that generation was served well. I feel sorry for kids of today.

Catmandrew
04-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Headline is ridiculous. Agree with Darrel on this one.

Times have definitely changed, I am "only" 36, but I had 2 teachers in high school who I traded knives with on a regular basis. That was in the early and mid nineties. One actually bought a T/C black powder rifle from me, and I brought it to school, can you imagine if that happened today?!

Doc
04-27-2013, 02:00 PM
Times are different I guess. I can't remember what grade I was in but it was a 1-5 school so my best guess would be 2nd, 3rd, or 4th since my memory is clearer for 1st and 5th. Opie Taylor had a slingshot around that age, had toy pistols, and probably more stuff that would cause folks to faint. I did too.

My dad did a lot of work around the house and he'd get me to help him even when I was little. Handing him whichever tool he needed next or holding the flashlight. I learned what was what by name and saw what they were used for.

We had a lot of freedom in those days but we had appropriate punishments as well. Spankings at home and school helped us remember that there were consequences for careless use of those freedoms and deliberately hurting others was out of the question for most. The Ten Commandments were on display and we recited the Lord's Prayer ever day. No matter your religion or even if you had a religion, those were good things to live by. Reword it and make it secular if need be but those things should be instilled in young minds. I think that generation was served well. I feel sorry for kids of today.

No doubt times have changed. I recall kids playing Mumbly Pegs at recess (LOL). Of course we also played JARTS, my dad drove around with a beer and let me sit in his lap and steer the car.

Catmandrew
04-27-2013, 02:16 PM
Hey Doc, u ever took a nap on that big platform below the rear window of a moving car? Lol, ah the good ol days...

badrose
04-27-2013, 02:34 PM
No doubt times have changed. I recall kids playing Mumbly Pegs at recess (LOL). Of course we also played JARTS, my dad drove around with a beer and let me sit in his lap and steer the car.
''

Mumbly Pegs! That's where you throw your knife at someone's feet, right? I played that!

CitizenBBN
04-27-2013, 03:08 PM
''

Mumbly Pegs! That's where you throw your knife at someone's feet, right? I played that!

Or a tree or whatever, at least that's what we called it. Threw knives frequently as a kid growing up.

Agree on the headline, this wasn't about the pliers. I can't speak to the suspension b/c I don't know their rules, other than to say like the others that when I was a kid you were the odd man out if you didn't have a pocketknife. They're useful tools, everyone had one. Carried a Barlow regularly from the time I was 5 or 6.

I'm afraid I can't identify with the modern safety Nazi approach to living. A rule and a reg for everything that used to be a matter of common sense and self responsibility. I had my scrapes and cuts, went with being a kid and even an adult. Safety was about making good decisions, not following the rules promulgated by some fool in Washington theorizing about how I lived and what was right nad wrong with it.

I don't even get why pocketknives are banned from schools. Anyone stupid or mean enough to do something bad with one isn't going to stop carrying one b/c of a day or two suspension from school. Guess we can search every kid when they come to school.

We've given up teaching responsibility and consequences for our actions and just gone with keeping anyone from having any chances to make any bad decisions and blanket immunity for stupidity.

DanISSELisdaman
04-27-2013, 05:46 PM
I carried one of the Jim Bowie 3 blade Stockmen knives to school every day when I was in high school.

Our Biology teacher brought a Sweet 16 Browning automatic to school for me to take home and try out squirrel hunting over the weekend. I took it home on the bus without a word being said.

dan_bgblue
04-27-2013, 06:39 PM
Our Biology teacher brought a Sweet 16 Browning automatic to school for me to take home and try out squirrel hunting over the weekend. I took it home on the bus without a word being said.

If one could stand the recoil, it was the best shooting shotgun I ever held in my hands. Man that thing kicked like a mule. I used to use mine, when I had it, dove hunting. It taught me a valuable lesson about shot selection. I did not want to shoot any more than I had to to limit out.

Doc
04-27-2013, 07:10 PM
Hey Doc, u ever took a nap on that big platform below the rear window of a moving car? Lol, ah the good ol days...

Yep. In fact as a kid (I under 5 years of age) we had this old POS car that I fell out of. My mom turned into a parking lot and the door came open. The car didn't have seatbelt (this would have been the early 60's) so I spilled right out. My mom swears that's what happened, caused brain damage!