PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Lee knew he needed a scholarship, and he tried many roads before basketball

imsoblue
04-21-2013, 03:50 PM
ANTIOCH, CALIF. —

When Marcus Lee was a child, his mother, Sheri, sat him down and was honest about the family’s financial situation. A single parent who worked for a long-term care facility, she wanted Marcus to understand that sometimes she might not be able to buy the toy he wanted.

Marcus understood. When his mother suggested they go out for a meal, he often said they should stay in and save the money. And when he enrolled at Deer Valley High School in this sleepy city 50 miles east of San Francisco, he thought the only way to afford college was to earn a scholarship.

He was 6 feet 2 then, and while basketball was an option, it was certainly not a guarantee. So he also joined the volleyball team. And worked out with the water polo team. And tried to bowl.

One afternoon best friend Jeffrey Brown called and asked him why he was out of breath. He asked if something was wrong.

“But he was just at school, randomly practicing with the track team,” Brown recalled, smiling and shaking his head.

It was one more possible route to college, one more way to help his mother. Marcus, whose parents are divorced, never told his mother his reason for trying so many sports, so many possibilities. When it was relayed to her last month, she became emotional.

“I’m surprised and awed to hear that,” Sheri Lee said. “It makes me very proud to know he was being so selfless.”

Today, of course, it’s obvious Marcus Lee did not need to worry about track or volleyball or water polo. He’s a high-flying 6-9 forward who is one of the top high school basketball players in the nation. And this fall he will be part of a University of Kentucky freshman class that is widely being hailed as the greatest ever.
An uncommon star

Lee’s story veers from the more traditional paths of other McDonald’s All Americans. He has not spent his life shuffling around the country from one major AAU tournament to another. Colleges have not been swooning over him since he was 14.

He’s a skinny, laid-back California kid, a former middle school class president who once gave his sneakers to a teammate who didn’t have any. He rarely watches basketball on television and cannot identify many famous players. A technology buff, he thought until recently that working for Apple would be preferable to playing in the NBA.

more (http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20130420/COLUMNISTS02/304200138/1002/Marcus-Lee-knew-he-needed-scholarship-he-tried-many-roads-before-Kentucky-basketball-recruiters-called)

kingcat
04-22-2013, 06:05 PM
One of my favorite young Cats. Thanks.

Darrell KSR
04-23-2013, 12:22 PM
Easy to root for that Cat. Easy.

badrose
04-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Just a great feel-good story. Got a little choked up early on.

Poetax
05-08-2013, 08:01 PM
He's a player, has a great motor, needs to get better wtih his ft shooting, but we all will like his attitude, he wants to win badly. Put that along side of the twins, Young, Johnson, Randle, Hawkins, and Willis, we have alot attitudes who want to win, to add to our roster.

Darrell KSR
05-10-2013, 03:37 PM
I'm not going to run down any of our recruits from last year, but it sure seems like this year's recruits have that inner something that is truly special.

kingcat
05-12-2013, 09:43 AM
Those young men following the freshmen led title team played into that I think D.