PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose my June vacation!

KSRBEvans
04-18-2013, 09:18 AM
So Mrs. BEvans and I are looking at 2 main options for a late June vacation:

Option 1: 10-day roadtrip through the Northeast. A day at Gettysburg, 2-3 days in New York, a day in Newport RI (where we lived for a short while when I was in the Navy :mumbledymumble: years ago), 2 days in Boston and a day in Portsmouth, NH (where my wife has some ancestors and she wants to do some genealogy research);

Option 2: 7 nights at an all-inclusive in Cancun.

With the exception of the 1 day in Newport, we've never been to any of these places before (nope, not even New York), so both would be new for us. But 2 wildly different vacation visions, obviously. Day before yesterday Mrs. BE was excited about Cancun; yesterday, the other option. We're about 60 days out, so something's got to give. Assume cost is roughly the same.

If you have any other ideas, please post them.

jazyd
04-18-2013, 09:38 AM
alot depends on what you like to do. I would prefer the road trip because of Gettsburg and Boston with all the history involved. We loved our week in Boston, small city that is easily walked around with a walking tour of the historical sights. If it was me I would skip NYC and head up to Maine for a few days, the fishing villages on the coast are exactly as I pictured. Also great Italian food in Boston on the north end, and great seafood in Maine, if you like lobster. :) Boston has many parks in the city that you can walk to all of them, very clean and nice. And the walk down the river front was enjoyable. in Maine we stayed in Portland for 2 days and Bar Harbor for 5. Loved that state.

Also love Jackson Hole, Wy and that mountains there plus the easy drive up to Yellowstone, if you like that type terrain.

If you have never done a cruise to Alaska, great trip and relaxing.

Those are three of my favorite vacations.

Darrell KSR
04-18-2013, 09:49 AM
Option 2 is more relaxing; I might prefer Option 1 because Option 2 is more similar to a generic (but good) beach type vacation. Then again, I hate packing, and Option 1 makes me pack, unpack, pack, unpack several times. I might modify Option 1 and eliminate something to eliminate one episode of unpacking, then packing again, and go with it.

But like Jazy says, just depends on what you like. Personal decision there, my friend.

I have an idea. Pay for both of them. Give me the one you don't want. We'll compare afterward.

MickintheHam
04-18-2013, 02:57 PM
It will be tough to do all you have outlined in Option 1 in 10 days, especially if you are driving. Driving a car in NYC/Jersey or in Boston is as much of a vacation nightmare as I can imagine. I would do option 1. Drive to NJ Port Authority and Park the car. (You are living higher on the hog than me if you can afford to park a car in NYC or Boston). I would take the train (Path) into NYC and see the sights. Jack Dempsey's for a brewski or two is a must. To see the UK flag flying in Manhattan will make you shout! I would then take the train to Boston (4 hours.) It leaves from Penn Station on 34th and I would take it to South Station in Boston. Do your Boston thing and then rent a car. You can keep your room in Boston and take day trips to Portsmouth and Newport. I think both are relatively easy drives. I doubt either side trip is much over an hour and a half from Boston.

Keeping Boston as a headquarters will allow you to unpack and stay somewhere as a base. I am a major fan of taking Amtrak when I am in the NE USA. You can relax. You don't have the stress of horrible traffic. Most Amtrak trains I have taken have plenty of leg room and are usually very quiet. You have the added benefit of walking around the train, grabbing an adult beverage if you wish, sleep or read a book. When you arrive you are rested and ready to go. Unlike driving or flying the train is quiet and refreshing.

My major concern with option 1 is how tired you get get with all of the driving and traffic you will encounter. Normally when I go to the east coast, I fly to Baltimore and take the shuttle to the train station station. Trains run about every hour, and in fairly short order you can be at Penn Station, NYC. Matter of fact I have flown to Philly, taken the train and was in Manhattan faster than flying into NYC. Anyway it is something to think about. And by the way if you wish to give Ms BE her next birthday, valentine's, anniversary and Christmas presents at once, take her to La Grenouille in Manhattan. The next good looking woman who will take a trip to NYC with me will get dinner there.

CitizenBBN
04-18-2013, 04:09 PM
I agree with Darrell that option 2 is more "generic", but I'd still be an option 2 guy.

First, I don't like driving a whole lot unless there is no traffic and preferably no speed limits, and I HATE traffic. I've driven in Boston, it's tough. Like Jazy said, I liked Boston. Stayed down on Long Warf where we could walk to Faneuil Hall area, bunch of stuff around there. But we didn't drive in it other than to get in and out.

For me it would be between a week in New York or Cancun. I'm not big on moving around on vacations. Like seeing different things, just not being "on the road". There's more to do in New York than you could do in a year much less a week so there woudln't be getting bored. I also like getting a little more dialed in on a place, finding some off the beaten path locals spots, and that takes time.

Mostly on vacation I despise schedules. I live worried about the clock constantly, when I'm on vacation I don't want to have to care what time it is. One reason I like Key West is stuff is open till 3am. I don't have to plan in advance for dinner, when I get hungry or something sounds good I"ll go do that. I may make one reservation in a week, maybe, but mostly I don't want to have to plan or coordinate anything.

If I couldn't modify it as I described, basically just park in New York for a week, I'd do Cancun. I'd probably do Cancun regardless. Just get away from everything, have someone bring me Margaritas and gimlets all day. That's assuming it's not a place with a schedule like the cruises used to be with set hours to dine, etc. One thing I do miss with all inclusive places is the getting out and exploring a bit. It's a tradeoff, so I'd definitely pick my place with great care. No doubt you've done that of course.

Spending my evenings drinking tequila and making love to a beautiful bikini model on the beach sounds more appealing than driving in the northeast. I can get the tequila, but the beach and the bikini model may be more problematic....

KSRBEvans
04-18-2013, 04:44 PM
Good points so far--thanks. BTW, we wouldn't drive in NY or Boston--we'd drive to there, but park the car and take public transportation/walk while there. For the NY part, I've also seen suggestions elsewhere that you can stay in NJ and take the train in, but not sure how doable that is. Keep the thoughts coming.

blueboss
04-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Apples and oranges...literally

jazyd
04-18-2013, 09:36 PM
When we were in Boston we were on Long wharf also and you can walk to anywhere from there. Micks idea is a good one

Darrell KSR
04-19-2013, 12:03 PM
I agree with Darrell that option 2 is more "generic", but I'd still be an option 2 guy.

First, I don't like driving a whole lot unless there is no traffic and preferably no speed limits, and I HATE traffic. I've driven in Boston, it's tough. Like Jazy said, I liked Boston. Stayed down on Long Warf where we could walk to Faneuil Hall area, bunch of stuff around there. But we didn't drive in it other than to get in and out.

For me it would be between a week in New York or Cancun. I'm not big on moving around on vacations. Like seeing different things, just not being "on the road". There's more to do in New York than you could do in a year much less a week so there woudln't be getting bored. I also like getting a little more dialed in on a place, finding some off the beaten path locals spots, and that takes time.

Mostly on vacation I despise schedules. I live worried about the clock constantly, when I'm on vacation I don't want to have to care what time it is. One reason I like Key West is stuff is open till 3am. I don't have to plan in advance for dinner, when I get hungry or something sounds good I"ll go do that. I may make one reservation in a week, maybe, but mostly I don't want to have to plan or coordinate anything.

If I couldn't modify it as I described, basically just park in New York for a week, I'd do Cancun. I'd probably do Cancun regardless. Just get away from everything, have someone bring me Margaritas and gimlets all day. That's assuming it's not a place with a schedule like the cruises used to be with set hours to dine, etc. One thing I do miss with all inclusive places is the getting out and exploring a bit. It's a tradeoff, so I'd definitely pick my place with great care. No doubt you've done that of course.

Spending my evenings drinking tequila and making love to a beautiful bikini model on the beach sounds more appealing than driving in the northeast. I can get the tequila, but the beach and the bikini model may be more problematic....

To some degree--actually, to a large degree--it also depends on the purpose of the vacation. If you're high-stress, in your work, homelife, etc., then just go someplace and vegetate. Wouldn't care if it were a hotel in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. Might as well be at a beautiful beach with scenery of various sorts as anywhere else for that vacation.

If your life isn't moderate to high stress--then go do something "fun" and "entertaining."

Also, if your life is moderate to high stress, but you have the ability to address "getaways" from time to time, then yo might still lean toward "fun" and "entertaining."

I just can't do it now, but I'm 4 hours away from the beach. We may go first weekend in May (probably won't, but might). I can leave at lunchtime, enjoy some beach time and settle in on Friday, full day on Saturday, and 80% of a day on Sunday without really even missing work. Take off Monday, and it's a long weekend with plenty of relaxation; take off Friday and leave early Thursday, and I'm at a 5-day vacation.

So for the "true" vacation--I'd opt for a fun, entertaining, busy kind of trip--in that environment. If I'm only going to get one vacation for the year, then I'd opt for relaxation. This year my "vacation" may be a long weekend during the summer, or weekend trips to Six Flags in Atlanta. Not setting up well for yours truly, unless BEvans takes my advice and pays for both trips, then gives me the one less-traveled.

MickintheHam
04-21-2013, 11:49 PM
Good points so far--thanks. BTW, we wouldn't drive in NY or Boston--we'd drive to there, but park the car and take public transportation/walk while there. For the NY part, I've also seen suggestions elsewhere that you can stay in NJ and take the train in, but not sure how doable that is. Keep the thoughts coming.

Taking the train is doable, but you eat up a lot of time. Bite the bullet and stay in Manhattan. There are also a couple of hotels in Brooklyn. i would stay as close to Manhattan as possible.

CitizenBBN
04-22-2013, 12:56 AM
To some degree--actually, to a large degree--it also depends on the purpose of the vacation. If you're high-stress, in your work, homelife, etc., then just go someplace and vegetate. Wouldn't care if it were a hotel in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. Might as well be at a beautiful beach with scenery of various sorts as anywhere else for that vacation.

If your life isn't moderate to high stress--then go do something "fun" and "entertaining."

Also, if your life is moderate to high stress, but you have the ability to address "getaways" from time to time, then yo might still lean toward "fun" and "entertaining."

I just can't do it now, but I'm 4 hours away from the beach. We may go first weekend in May (probably won't, but might). I can leave at lunchtime, enjoy some beach time and settle in on Friday, full day on Saturday, and 80% of a day on Sunday without really even missing work. Take off Monday, and it's a long weekend with plenty of relaxation; take off Friday and leave early Thursday, and I'm at a 5-day vacation.

So for the "true" vacation--I'd opt for a fun, entertaining, busy kind of trip--in that environment. If I'm only going to get one vacation for the year, then I'd opt for relaxation. This year my "vacation" may be a long weekend during the summer, or weekend trips to Six Flags in Atlanta. Not setting up well for yours truly, unless BEvans takes my advice and pays for both trips, then gives me the one less-traveled.

great point. Both have a certain appeal to me. I like going places and just exploring, like the northeast trip. My issue with it would be just the travel/driving. I could easily do a week in New York as a vacation. I did a northeast type driving trip when I was checking out colleges and liked it well enough.

My desire for lack for lack of schedule is probably a high stress job reaction, but I've just never liked my "happy time" being about reservations and "have to be here by X time". It may be a part of my overall issues with authority and rules. I see most of them as quaint things for other people to follow if they choose, but I'm opting out. :) It's not that I won't ever make a reservation or whatever, but I know some people who schedule their vacations like a military maneuver, and I'm just the opposite of that. I plan what I have to, but avoid it when possible. Since relocating requires more scheduling, I tend to avoid it.

It is true I don't take much vacation time so I do guard it, don't want a lot of wasted motion. I do enjoy just going to DC and hanging out for a few days, so it doesn't have to be a Cancun type trip, just down time.

Two different options, neither is a bad choice even for me. I'd do Cancun just b/c for me the number of days in each place would be a little tight for my comfort and take a little too much road time, but even with those things I can see the appeal of the trip.

I'd for sure stay right in Manhattan. I figured BEvans wouldn't try to drive around the city, but I'd stay right in the city and walk/cab it everywhere. Same for Boston of course, and in Boston I found no real need to cab it. For just a couple of days there's an awful lot concentrated in a small area.

KSRBEvans
04-29-2013, 01:40 PM
Well folks, thanks for the input. Ultimately we decided we wanted a laid-back vacation vs. an active one, so we decided to go to Cancun. 1st time there, too, so it'll be a new experience.

Now for those who've been: we're looking at staying at Live Aqua (http://www.aquacancunresort.com/), which is an all-inclusive and has good reports on TripAdvisor (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150807-d506374-Reviews-Live_Aqua_Cancun_All_Inclusive-Cancun_Yucatan_Peninsula.html), but wondering if any of you have any other thoughts on where to stay.