PDA

View Full Version : A question about identity (theft?) for computer gurus

elicat
04-16-2013, 12:04 PM
I got a new computer yesterday. (What I got isn't interesting since I always get the same thing, the current 13" Macbook Pro or equivalent.) I moved my stuff from the old one to the new one last night, doing some basic things manually rather than with the Migration Assistant, because I was worried that there might be a problem, and indeed something alarming did crop up. Thus you get this post.

When I set up "Find My Mac" on the new computer, it warned me that doing this was going to prevent someone I had never heard of from finding the old one. I immediately changed the password on that icloud account to something no one could ever remember (generated by one of those random password web sites and stored off-line).

So my question is, is there any chance this was just some kind of error or misunderstanding on my part, and in the probable event that there isn't any such chance, is it likely I've solved the problem with the fancy password?

CitizenBBN
04-19-2013, 10:56 AM
Just seeing this. I'm not real familiar with the icloud setup, but like you I'd find that a little disturbing. Did you have "Find My Mac" set up on the old one and was it a new store bought computer?

I would think the password would prevent their access. I'm trying to think if there is a backdoor they could use. Can there be multiple people on the same icloud account? Like can you set up a spouse etc. with their own login with access to that information? That's the only loophole that jumps to mind.

elicat
04-19-2013, 12:54 PM
Thanks, Chuck. Both were new when I got them. I checked my credit, and there's nothing that suggests identity theft there. I think I'll wait a couple of weeks and then format the drive and go through the whole process again, just to make sure.