PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Cal recruits so well because he works harder...

badrose
09-06-2012, 08:49 AM
ya think?

http://www.bloguin.com/runthefloor/2012-articles/september/the-188-most-followed-d-i-basketball-coaches-on-twitter.html

1 Kentucky Wildcats – John Calipari @UKCoachCalipari 1,203,136
2 Indiana Hoosiers – Tom Crean @TomCrean 83,915
3 Florida Gators – Billy Donovan @UFCoachBillyD 75,507
4 Kansas Jayhawks – Bill Self @CoachBillSelf 53,881
5 South Carolina Gamecocks – Frank Martin @FrankMartin_SC 26,505
6 Butler Bulldogs – Brad Stevens @BUCoachStevens 23,460
7 Central Michigan Chippewas – Keno Davis @CoachKenoDavis 23,134
8 Nebraska Cornhuskers – Tim Miles @CoachMiles 22,976
9 VCU Rams – Shaka Smart @coachsmartvcu 22,113
10 Tennessee Volunteers – Cuonzo Martin @CuonzoMartin 20,516

Of course the BBN has something to do with those numbers too.:cool:

akaukswoosh
09-06-2012, 08:51 AM
The numbers don't lie on this one. He has the energy of a much younger man.
Meanwhile, I'm gonna take a nap.

CitizenBBN
09-06-2012, 08:55 AM
It's a momentous pairing of Cal and the BBN. We pack Rupp for Madness, he uses it to full effect. He had over 800K before he ever coached a game at UK. I know people who got on twitter for the first time just to follow him.

Like the day when he was in one event, flew to another the same day then back the same day to catch a game at the first one.

That's a) some hard core recruiting work, and b) made possible by the recruiting budget supported by the massive fanbase that finances it through donations, merchandise sales, tickets and just watching the games.

WoodstockCat
09-06-2012, 08:55 AM
He truly understands the value of social media.

CitizenBBN
09-06-2012, 09:01 AM
To Badrose's point:

and some coaches, like Coach K and Bill Carmody, have never tweeted, which also affects their numbers here.

Yeah I'd say never tweeting anything would affect your numbers. Cal doesn't take the time to type them in, he sends them to DeWayne Peevy and the staff does it. K has a staff, right?

If nothing else you think these guys would at least be trying to copy Cal. Glad they don't though. You keep on avoiding technology and social media Coach K. It's beneath you, remember that.

Darrell KSR
09-06-2012, 09:04 AM
Badrose, took your theme and ran with it on twitter, as well as woodstockCat's observation about the value of social media. Thanks to both of ya.

Swoosh, the nap is sounding good to me, too.

Darrell KSR
09-06-2012, 09:06 AM
To Badrose's point:
Cal doesn't take the time to type them in, he sends them to DeWayne Peevy and the staff does it. K has a staff, right?

I am literally shocked others don't hire someone full-time to do it. It would be worth a $40,000 a year salary in advertising costs alone.

And credit to DeWayne Peevey too, who has a lot of other jobs to do as well. I am sure that UK wants to have someone they can trust to fill that role, which is why DeWayne does it, and not a SID intern.

Krank
09-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Anyone else surprised by some in this Top 10?

Aside from "usual suspects" in terms of high level historic programs like UK, IU, and KU, I find it interesting that...

1. Florida is so high up there, but perhaps a certain percentage of their football base glommed onto Donovan's Twitter.

2. Four of the Top 10 are from the, allegedly, "football-dominated" SEC.

3. Although I am pleased with the support for Butler (my 2nd fave team waaaaay 2nd to UK), I wouldn't have imagined their fans bumping them up to #6. The Dogs will be MUCH better this year, FWIW.

4. How about Central Michigan and VCU? I get that both Butler and VCU probably got some juice out of their Final Four appearances, but the Chippewas? Props to Keno Davis and/or their athletic department and/or their fans. Who knew?

blue2ksr
09-06-2012, 12:05 PM
I see where Cal is constantly up to something, here, there, everywhere. Constantly.

It's makes me tired just thinking about it.

I don't know why he isn't exhausted!

He is certainly giving us a good days work, day in and out!