PDA

View Full Version : Navy Blue Angels

Darrell KSR
04-09-2013, 10:04 PM
Not a post about my 4th grade girls' basketball team, but their namesake, the real Navy pilots.

Was saddened to see on local news tonight that all of their shows this year have been canceled due to budget cuts. As anyone who has seen them fly before will attest, it is a spectacular show and sight to see. The show they do annually over Pensacola Beach is amazing. It is an honor for the pilots to be chosen, and is an effective marketing tool to attract people to the Navy throughout the country.

We make a point every time we are in Pensacola for a trip, which is probably once a year, to go to the base on Wedneasday morning and watch them practice their show. It gets the day started off early, and is an incredible thrill to see the skill and teamwork of these fine pilots. I think I heard that they will continue to practice-at least, I hope they do-but for now, there will be no more shows. Very saddened to hear.

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused.

Lfbj00
04-09-2013, 10:25 PM
Yeah D, it's gonna really suck this year for Thunder Over Louisville with no military planes. I see the big ol UPS 747 every night, but there's something about seeing some of those military planes do what they do. Thanks Alot B.O.!!!!

CitizenBBN
04-09-2013, 10:29 PM
Very sad. Esp. in light of the BS we spend money for that does no good. This at least is good marketing for the Navy and a reward for the best pilots. Not exactly a money maker I'm sure, but that bazillion dollar "Navy ferry/landing assault craft" would cover a lot of Blue Angels shows. That was pork forced through defense appropriations that clearly wasn't a military boat, just massive pork.

Anyway, can we rip on your coaching now? That was fun. :)

jazyd
04-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Thunderbirds were cancelled a few weeks ago, we lost their show here for late May. I was looking forward to seeing them again and their great show. My neighbor was invited to be with the thunder but after flying over Hanoi for two years he was ready to get out, love hearing his stories

blueboss
04-10-2013, 09:44 PM
There will be no military participants in the Thunder Over Louisville air show, which will also undoubtedly be mucked up with blather from the recent success of duh-ville.