PDA

View Full Version : Who will be MVP of the 2012-'13 Kentucky Basketball Team?

Krank
09-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Will it be a more experienced player, like Wiltjer, Harrow, or Mays...

or perhaps a Freshman will once again lead the way...

Noel, Goodwin, Poythress anyone? Don't sleep on a sleeper...

Cauley-Stein or Hood anyone?

Would love to read why y'all vote the way you do.

Me? I am going with Poythress. I like his diverse skill set, desire to play D, and what he brings, as a matchup problem on both sides of the ball, with a team-first mindset. I just think he suits Coach Calipari's style perfectly.

jimbo4uk
09-04-2012, 07:01 PM
I have to go with Poythress as well. Love what I've seen/heard so far.

Darrell KSR
09-04-2012, 07:16 PM
I think Poythress is the favorite, but I also like Archie Goodwin, who could be our leading scorer.

Krank
09-04-2012, 07:47 PM
I think Poythress is the favorite, but I also like Archie Goodwin, who could be our leading scorer.

I like your pick, Darrell, and am intrigued by your leading scorer prediction. I bet he will get to the line a lot. Do you think his shooting will surprise folks?

Darrell KSR
09-04-2012, 07:56 PM
I think Cal's offense is set up well for the shooting guard who can penetrate to be the leading scorer. It could be anybody, of course, his teams are so balanced. But if I were picking one, it would be that slot.

And that suits Mr. Goodwin just fine, thank you.

Not a great outside shooter, but plenty good enough, and can hit the midrange jumper, floater, and make plenty of FTs.

Krank
09-04-2012, 08:37 PM
I think Cal's offense is set up well for the shooting guard who can penetrate to be the leading scorer. It could be anybody, of course, his teams are so balanced. But if I were picking one, it would be that slot.

And that suits Mr. Goodwin just fine, thank you.

Not a great outside shooter, but plenty good enough, and can hit the midrange jumper, floater, and make plenty of FTs.

Excellent reasoning as usual, Darrell.

If we are talking leading scorer, I think any of Poythress, Goodwin, and my personal fave for that honor, Wiltjer, could get it. Kyle might end up having insane shot-making percentages from three and the line this year. I might be wrong about that, but I really really like his eye and relaxed confidence.

Overall, I really like all three of those, BUT we have not talked much about D. If this team is as good as I think they will be, defensively, then Noel might have a good shot at MVP. I need to see more of how he and Willie will develop on offense.

blueboss
09-04-2012, 08:43 PM
This is a great question, with Cal's system everyone on the roster has the opportunity to be the MVP, however with his recruiting program and the reloading you have to go with scouting reports and your gut. Poythress with what I've heard has a motor similar to MKG coupled with the athleticism that I've seen on some of the videos will do the extra things it takes to earn an MVP nod.

Last year while it may have seemed obvious who would earn MVP it was hard to discount MKG and his heart and motor but then again last year "THE TEAM" should have gotten an MVP, and hopefully Cal can duplicate taking a group of great players and making them a "GREAT TEAM"

Krank
09-04-2012, 08:50 PM
This is a great question, with Cal's system everyone on the roster has the opportunity to be the MVP, however with his recruiting program and the reloading you have to go with scouting reports and your gut. Poythress with what I've heard has a motor similar to MKG coupled with the athleticism that I've seen on some of the videos will do the extra things it takes to earn an MVP nod.

Last year while it may have seemed obvious who would earn MVP it was hard to discount MKG and his heart and motor but then again last year "THE TEAM" should have gotten an MVP, and hopefully Cal can duplicate taking a group of great players and making them a "GREAT TEAM"

Great post, bossman.

You know, despite cliches and the deserved lauding of eternal praise from all corners of hoops planet Earth for one NCAA Champion and Olympic Gold Medalist, Anthony Davis, how often did a DIFFERENT one of our top six show up best in a game last year?

You already know that Darius, Doron, Terrence, Michael, Marquis, AND Davis all had big games, and often, it was hard to choose WHICH one was best in a game.

"TEAM" was not a cliche term for WHY they became Champions. It was for real. All one had to do was watch and enjoy the beauty of the unit winning with unselfishness and heart... and, oh yeah, TALENT.

Darrell KSR
09-05-2012, 11:06 AM
What I love about this question is there are a) many great answers and b) no wrong answers :).

Darrell KSR
10-24-2012, 10:49 PM
OK, so it's just the Blue-White scrimmage. Everybody's answers still the same?

Krank
10-30-2012, 11:58 AM
I'm sticking with Alex even though Archie is my fave player (chose him even before this poll, Madness, etc.). I just believe that Alex is improving daily, getting better with his mentality (not being as quiet, verbally, but particularly by physical example), and seems a perfect fit for Coach Calipari's "player molding" talents. Archie will give him a run though.

It may not be fair, but my sense is that the bigs, all three of them, will have their stats reduced by how much they share minutes in the paint with others. Had one of the three NOT signed with UK, I might see one of the remaining two as having a better chance at the sort of stats that get you an MVP.

blueboss
11-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Wheww-wee! After the Northwood game tonight I see four guys that could have a real shot at team MVP and as far as national championship game MVP depending on who we end up playing in the final the match ups will determine the later.

chroix
11-02-2012, 05:48 AM
Archie

Krank
11-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Archie is still my fave, but Baker and Conley chose the wrong MVP for the Northwood game IMO. I would have given it to Noel. Ultimately, it will be either Alex (when he is determined to keep a fire lit under his own behind), Archie, or Nerlens.

Catfan73
11-09-2012, 10:27 PM
I found this thread after tonight's game and voted for Wiltjer. We almost fell apart after he had to go sit with his third foul.
Well, not fall apart, but certainly in a bit of disarray. I think after we get a little more experience playing together I'll be voting for Goodwin, but for now we need Wiltjer on the floor to keep opponents from collapsing and packing the paint.

blueboss
11-09-2012, 10:42 PM
Polson had a monster game tonight with key plays at key times, hell he had most of the rebounds with 2, throw in 10 points a steal and a couple of dimes ... not too bad for a walk on.