PDA

View Full Version : Next Year, Do We See A Pressing, Full 40 Minutes Of Pedal To The Metal Style??

Darryl
03-27-2013, 05:02 PM
Cal has never done this at UK, even in 2012 (and he said he backed off at games end numerous times)

For a team to be considered a truly great one the margin of victory is a major factor. Never letting up,
playing "against the game", etc

Darryl

badrose
03-27-2013, 05:10 PM
Hope so. With as much depth as he'll have going full bore would likely be ok with the starters to get a blow from time to time as they'll probably need it.

Krank
03-27-2013, 05:10 PM
This team will be so athletic, diverse in skill, and deep that I believe the players, themselves, will determine how they play by season's end. Coach Calipari will be smart enough to mold them, but not limit them.

KeithKSR
03-27-2013, 05:25 PM
Cal hasn't been a big advocate of the press, seems to prefer a tough half court D that will turn teams over more. I expect we will be one of the better teams in the country in margin of victory as we were in 2012.

catmanjack
03-27-2013, 05:35 PM
After this season you would have to think Cal wants to show everyone that UK is not going anywhere anytime soon.
And the fear will show in every team that UK plays.

kingcat
03-27-2013, 05:40 PM
I foresee a lot of zone defense.

... and a return to more traditional, Kentucky based athletic wear

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mJhtf0fqf7s/TAvU4hFIaHI/AAAAAAAAECg/DAHiB0cgih8/s400/3493487845_f9919a1178_o.jpg

UKFlounder
03-27-2013, 05:40 PM
Why - are we bringing Tubby in?

blueboss
03-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Mop up minutes will go for 20.

Terminus
03-27-2013, 08:54 PM
If we do, it will be equivalent to Johnny Ringo's (college basketball) duel with Doc Holliday (UK) in Tombstone.

CitizenBBN
03-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Cal has never done this at UK, even in 2012 (and he said he backed off at games end numerous times)

For a team to be considered a truly great one the margin of victory is a major factor. Never letting up,
playing "against the game", etc

Darryl

I see us never letting up, in the sense that we keep playing for 40 minutes and putting it on people, but I don't see us pressing, and I see him controlling tempo as he did last year. He definitely pulled up their reigns esp in both Final Four games. He may not quite as much this year b/c he'll have fresher guys to put in, but his defensive philosophy is simple and effective: don't give them an easy look and rebound the crap out of the shots. The easy baskets the press gives up won't sit with him even for the easy ones it gets for you. it's also less dependable than his excellent half court defensive approach. A given team can beat your defense either way, but the press is more susceptible to giving up runs. It also amplifies a bad defensive game by giving up rebounding.

Play 40 minutes? Write it down. Press and shoot with 20 seconds to go on the clock up 20 with 8 minutes to go? No way IMO.

Kacat
03-27-2013, 09:02 PM
I don't think Cal is a big press guy but I think you will see much more intense pressure in the half court then we saw last year.

Terminus
03-27-2013, 09:09 PM
I don't think Cal is a big press guy but I think you will see much more intense pressure in the half court then we saw last year.

I agree, with some traps mixed in on the primary ballhandler. The Harrisons' length and bulldog nature should wreak havoc on opposing offenses trying to get into their sets. In addition to the obvious talent, I really like the mental make-up of the kids coming into the program next year.

jazyd
03-27-2013, 09:12 PM
If we have the guys next year we think will be here, it won't be official 40 min of hell but unofficial lay it wii be because every guy will want to make the most of their minutes regardless of score or time left. They will want to impress Cal and NBA scouts

millsforthree
03-27-2013, 09:29 PM
Cal will run man in full court, but doesn't seem to zone press much. As much as I hate to utter these words I enjoyed watching FEBUKs defense thus season. Zone press then falling back into matchup zone or half court man.

dan_bgblue
03-27-2013, 09:34 PM
Cal hasn't been a big advocate of the press, seems to prefer a tough half court D that will turn teams over more. I expect we will be one of the better teams in the country in margin of victory as we were in 2012.

I agree. He will use token pressure to speed up the game for those teams that want games in the 50s, but I not see 40 minutes of hell on the horizon. He is teaching the payers to play in the NBA not in NAIA

Padukacat
03-27-2013, 09:37 PM
With those horses id like to see cal gamble some. At least the damn refs cant dictate our game, i think cal is adjusting to the only weakness hes had, a short bench.

millsforthree
03-27-2013, 09:43 PM
I know one thing I don't want to see again is Wiltjer trying to take charges. Cals d is much better with an eraser at the goal.

Edward100
03-27-2013, 09:52 PM
Next year Calipari will have the numbers and talent to do whatever he would like to try. He's got an extra 15 fouls to give so that won't be a problem. He can sit players who refuse to go when they are playing and not lose quality. I always liked that with the 1996 team. They swapped players and never missed a beat. I hope the fans don't get bored with just a 20 point win margin.

millsforthree
03-27-2013, 10:07 PM
We all know Cal likes his white board. IMO next year all he has to write up there is Bob Morris.

Rock Hard Ten
03-27-2013, 10:35 PM
We all know Cal likes his white board. IMO next year all he has to write up there is Bob

Morris.
That there is funny

bigsky
03-27-2013, 11:38 PM
The guy who invented DDM also advocates an all out pressing defense.

UKFlounder
03-28-2013, 06:14 AM
But we likely won't have that eraser (like Noel or Davis) this year. Marcus Lee will be the closest, but will he get the minutes? Dakari Johnson sounds more like a strong, physical player instead of a shot-blocker or high jumping athlete.

I know one thing I don't want to see again is Wiltjer trying to take charges. Cals d is much better with an eraser at the goal.

UKFlounder
03-28-2013, 06:15 AM
For the guys returning, but the 7 or 8 (or 9) new guys won't quite feel the sting.

We all know Cal likes his white board. IMO next year all he has to write up there is Bob Morris.

WoodstockCat
03-28-2013, 07:50 AM
The guy who invented DDM also advocates an all out pressing defense.

It's a weird press though. Nothing conventional about it.

TRUCKERCATFAN
03-28-2013, 08:21 AM
With the way the rest of college basketball has enjoyed our terrible season, I say we should win by as much as possible. Try to embarrass everybody we play. Don't let up at all no matter the score. Hell, we are gonna be the villain regardless so let's act like it.

Kinda like Coach Yost telling Coach Boone to "run it up Herman!! Leave no doubt!" Had to get a good Remember The Titans reference in there.

KentuckyWildcat
03-28-2013, 08:56 AM
I'd prefer some 3/4 court and 1/2 court trapping to push the offense out. Force them to have to rush to setup their offense, then let our big guys rebound.