PDA

View Full Version : New Gibson Acoustic

Catmandrew
03-26-2013, 12:27 PM
Don't know if there are any more musicians here or not, but wanted to show this off. It's a Gibson Southern Jumbo. I've wanted either this or a J-45 forever, and received this beauty as a gift from my boss for my 18 yrs with the company. Almost fell over!

badrose
03-26-2013, 02:54 PM
Very nice!

MickintheHam
03-26-2013, 03:18 PM
Wow! What a gift!

Catmandrew
03-26-2013, 04:14 PM
Yes it was a very nice surprise, street price is $2600, so it was a healthy bonus! The tone is amazing, you just can't beat that Gibson "growl".

fastkat
03-26-2013, 05:18 PM
Nice.

I'm a Guild player. I have an older made in Rhode Island model. I do have a WWII era Gibson LG-02 that I kind of inherited.

Catmandrew
03-26-2013, 06:01 PM
Love to see that little LG, those are sweet little flat tops. Got any pics?

blueboss
03-26-2013, 08:25 PM
Nice ax! Is it just me or is that thing strung left handed?

Catmandrew
03-26-2013, 08:36 PM
Nope, she's a righty. BTW, I installed the Kluson keystone tuners myself. Had chrome Grovers, but didn't look "vintage" enough to me.

blueboss
03-26-2013, 08:49 PM
I've been at my current job for 16 years, I should be so lucky to get a bonus of that magnitude in a couple of years. I "might" get a CD of someone playing a Gibson.

Have you had the opportunity to stroke her out a name yet?

Catmandrew
03-26-2013, 08:57 PM
Abby. Always loved the John Prine song, and the real Dear Abby passed away the day I got her. All too perfect not to hang that moniker on her. :)

blueboss
03-26-2013, 09:11 PM
Nice!!

Darrell KSR
03-27-2013, 07:20 AM
I'm not a musician, but I can appreciate that. What a great gift.

DanISSELisdaman
03-28-2013, 01:30 PM
That's a nice guitar! Bet she sounds good! I think we should have a demonstration, what do you think guys?

BTW, I won a Vintage 35 Sullivan banjo in a drawing held by the Banjo Hangout last July. Price $4,299.00. I still haven't received it, but I'm really looking forward to getting it.

Doc
03-28-2013, 03:51 PM
Nice looker! I love Gibson. My son has a Les Paul Studio, its his favorite of his 4 guitars. Its "road worn", so its no longer white instead yellowish from years of playing smoky bars. No doubt Gibson makes one of the best guitars out there, especially their acoustics. I'd put them right up there with Martins and Taylors

I play bass and am looking for a new one. Trying to decide between a Rickenbacker 4003, a Fender Jazz or a MusicMan. The guy I play with (musically) wants me to go with the MM. Wonder if my boss of 25 years would foot the bill (Boss is code for wife)?

MickintheHam
03-28-2013, 09:34 PM
Doc, I'm certain the boss would cut you a deal. But no smart man would ever negotiate with her.

Catmandrew
03-29-2013, 09:48 AM
Dan, we gotta see pics of that banjo when u get it! Martin and Taylor def make great stuff, generally "brighter sounding", esp Taylor. For sheer volume, "boom" and great tone, and for bluegrass, nothing beats a Martin D-28. Rosewood backed guitars are clearer and louder, while a Mahogany back, like my SJ or a J-45, is warmer and has more overtones, IMO. But nobody does the "burst" finish like Gibby! :)
As for a demo, if I can figure out how, I'll post a clip of a song.

DanISSELisdaman
04-04-2013, 10:26 PM
Nice looker! I love Gibson. My son has a Les Paul Studio, its his favorite of his 4 guitars. Its "road worn", so its no longer white instead yellowish from years of playing smoky bars. No doubt Gibson makes one of the best guitars out there, especially their acoustics. I'd put them right up there with Martins and Taylors

I play bass and am looking for a new one. Trying to decide between a Rickenbacker 4003, a Fender Jazz or a MusicMan. The guy I play with (musically) wants me to go with the MM. Wonder if my boss of 25 years would foot the bill (Boss is code for wife)?

Doc, those Fender Jazz basses are fine instruments! I have an Ibanez that I like pretty good, but the guitar player in a group I used to play with had a Jazz and it was much better than the Ibanez.

Doc
04-05-2013, 06:53 PM
Doc, those Fender Jazz basses are fine instruments! I have an Ibanez that I like pretty good, but the guitar player in a group I used to play with had a Jazz and it was much better than the Ibanez.

I'm 60/40 on the music man over the Rick. Never played either but the radius on the Rick might not feel right. All my basses have flat fretboards. I've played the fender, liked if a lot. Plays better than my dean, ibanez or Yamaha

Catmandrew
04-06-2013, 06:28 PM
Doc, go for the Fender. It's versatile, thumpy, and simple to work on/tweak should you wish to do so. Pretty much the gold standard.
Just my opinion of course, all 3 you mention are fine instruments. Ricks always intrigue me tho, cool looking ax for sure.